uniqs

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

5 recommendations

2kmaro

Office 2010 - Cannot Copy/Paste/Format

Just thought I'd pass on some emerging information regarding the loss of the ability to copy and paste or use the 'format painter' in Office 2010 applications such as Excel and Word.

I'm seeing lots of reports in just the past couple of days of complaints about suddenly not being able to copy and paste in Office 2010 products or to use the format painter. Or copy and paste may only offer the choice of pasting as text.

This seems to have started with recent weekly updates on or about March 14, 2012.

It seems to be caused in some fashion by having your web browser open while using the application: closing the web browser gives you back the copy/paste/format functions completely. Weird, I know, but this is Windows you know.

Most of the systems reporting the problems had Windows 7 64-bit installed, although one using Windows XP reported the problem. Most, if not all systems were using Office 2010.

The browsers in use were mostly Internet Explorer, but Firefox and Google Chrome were also in the picture. There was even one instance where it appeared that one of the Skype applications was the culprit (but uninstalling and reinstalling it cured the problem).

So there it is - if anyone complains of problems with cut-and-paste or using the format painter in Office 2010 anytime soon, this might be something to check out.

Microsoft has been made aware of the issue and so I would anticipate they will have a fix for it in the not too distant future.

mjhouser
Premium Member
join:2001-10-06

mjhouser

Premium Member

Good to know. I have started recently having problems with copy/paste from IE9 to Excel and Word (Office 2010).

My system is Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni to 2kmaro

MVM

to 2kmaro
Interesting and good to know. Thanks for sharing

Cudni

Charlied
@rima-tde.net

Charlied

Anon

Hi,
I've been having the same problems for a few days. I'm really glad I found your post because I was going mad. I've tried everything but I can't fix it.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Charlied

Charlied

Anon

I use Windows 7 64 bit and Office 10.
I uninstalled Skype and it seems to be fixed (fingers crossed...)

mbrossat
@verizon.net

mbrossat to Charlied

Anon

to Charlied
I have the same issue - It is so annoying. I uninstalled Skype but it didnt work...
mbrossat

mbrossat to 2kmaro

Anon

to 2kmaro
Thanks a lot 2kmaro for sharing.
How we will know when Microsoft will come with a fix?

Thanks

ClgPerson
@shawcable.net

ClgPerson

Anon

When my browser is open and when I copy, the dancing ants are missing. When I close the browser, the dancing ants return. And then, I am able to paste with formatting.
ClgPerson

ClgPerson

Anon

I disabled Skype's Click to Call on my browser. Restarted browser and problem gone. I hope it helps you.

Al S
@as13285.net

Al S

Anon

Thanks for the solution! I also disabled Skype plug-in within Chrome and that fixed it.

Ajay
@virginmedia.com

1 recommendation

Ajay to 2kmaro

Anon

to 2kmaro
Cut and paste loses formatting in any app when I am running Firefox 9.01 on Win XP.

Only started about a couple of weeks ago. There was no change to FF at the time.

FF running, problem. Close FF, then back to normal.

Jorge
@telepac.pt

Jorge to 2kmaro

Anon

to 2kmaro
Hi,

I also have the same problem with copy/paste. But i use Office 2007 on a Windows 7 64-bit.

If Chrome is closed office applications seem to work fine. I also disabled Skype's click-to-call.

Am i the first Office 2007 user with problems?

Jorge
Portugal

2kmaro
Think

join:2000-07-11
Oklahoma City, OK

2kmaro

Sorry, Jorge, I don't think you're the first with 2007 to report it. Office 2007/2010 are pretty much the same animal behind the scenes.

As others have noted in this thread, having a browser open or having certain Skype apps installed seem to be the problem. Well - actually the problem still seems to be some update released back around the 14th, but only seen when a browser is open or Skype or Skype Click-to-Call is installed also.

Some users have reported that uninstalling the Skype apps fixed the problem for them (when they found Skype to be the problem).

I don't have any information about when a fix may come out. I'll try to remember to look a little closer at the description of updates as they come in on my various systems.
Expand your moderator at work

Fearl3
@telkom-ipnet.co.za

Fearl3 to 2kmaro

Anon

to 2kmaro

Re: Office 2010 - Cannot Copy/Paste/Format

Hi Guysm I have a user on my network that reported the exact same issue.
Cannot copy and paste, and alos paste special in excel and word does not work..

This user has installed skype 2 days before. and does not have chrome installed.

So, I did a Office Repair installation. and rebooted.

Problem was solved until I opened IE9.
And paste special and paste dit not work..

I have reset all internet settings, and did a Disk cleanup on machine...
Problem seems to be resolved.

cephas
@comcast.net

cephas to 2kmaro

Anon

to 2kmaro
Skype did it for me. Uninstalled main Skype and Click-to-Call-via-Chrome and Pasting back to normal. I'd zero in on Skype code as the source of the infection.

Gerardo B
@..rtadydesarrollo.cl

Gerardo B

Anon

For me, disabling Skype plug-in on the browser was good enough to re-gain the normal clipboard operation.

Jenny
@ctinets.com

Jenny to 2kmaro

Anon

to 2kmaro
Thank you so much for your help and my office is "back to normal" after the skype addin has been disabled.

I also hope that MS will "do something about this problem" as soon as they can.

Thanks,
Jenny

Yousef_Sci
@utah.edu

Yousef_Sci to 2kmaro

Anon

to 2kmaro
Thanks so much, that problem has been annoying me over the last month going back and forth. After I uninstalled the Skype click-to-call add-on from Firefox, the problem was resolved.