join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to RR Conductor

to RR Conductor

Re: [Connectivity] Legacy IPv6 support

Just be careful. »www.networkworld.com/new ··· ers.html

According to the review I linked below, aside from 8 MB of flash vs. 16 MB in the E4200, different antennas and firmware, the Netgear WNDR4000 and original Linksys E4200 are kissin' cousins.
Mike Wolf

3 edits

Mike Wolf

For others looking for routers, I'd give some thought to the Linksys E4200v2 $199.99 ($149.99 refurbished on Cisco.com site), or any of the new EA line (various prices but less then the E4200v2) which are soon to be released. The Netgear WNDR3800 $129.99 which has support for TiVo Storage and time machine and more »www.netgear.com/home/pro ··· 800.aspx and the WNDR4500 $179.99 which does 450Mbps/450Mbps symmetrically (which is good for the future when that speed becomes standard) and more »www.netgear.com/home/pro ··· 500.aspx
And of course the Netgear WNDR4000 as RR Conductor mentioned.

Here is a review of the WNDR4500: »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· reviewed

Here is a review of the E4200v2: »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· reviewed

Here is a review of the WNDR3800: »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· reviewed

Here is a review of the WNDR4000: »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· reviewed

The EA line is still new to the market but here is some assessments I made »Re: [Wireless] Linksys EA4500 router?

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Great info, thanks Mike! I looked at the E4200v2, but at 199 bucks it was just too much. The refurbed one on Cisco's site comes out to 160 with taxes and shipping, so still more than I wanted to pay.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

true. I was gonna give you a coupon for 20% off plus it has free shipping lol anyway no problem
did you check the reviews?

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

1 edit

1 recommendation

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Thanks for the offer anyway! I got the N750 all set up and running, should I enable IPv6 or leave it disabled for now? I don't think they're running it in our area yet. There are several settings under it-

Disabled
Auto Detect
6to4 Tunnel
Pass Through
Fixed
DHCP
PPPoE
Auto Config

I know PPPoE is for DSL, so we can throw that guy out.

Edit-This is interesting-

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 internet access.

I got that after running the tests at »test-ipv6.comcast.net/

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Well it would depend on two factors, if you want to use an IPv6 tunnel like I'm doiing, or if you don't and just want to wait for Comcast to get around to sending out the IPv6 data sometime late this year. I use Hurricane Electric »tunnelbroker.net/

Well we know that the usual internet connection type setting on routers for cable service is DHCP since the router is given an address from the modem. I'm not familiar with what the difference is between Auto Config and Auto Detect. I would try Auto Config, Auto Detect, Pass Through, and DHCP and see what results you get. Here is something I found on the Netgear site. »forum1.netgear.com/showt ··· ?t=60511

Yeah it's wierd, I'm seeing the same results when I do the tests as well. I feel like either someone told us why this was occurring but I don't remember what the answer was sorry.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

4 edits

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Wow, lots of good info, thanks! I may do the HE Tunnel, I set up an account, now to create a tunnel.

»ipv6.he.net/certificatio ··· /faq.php

How to create a 6in4 tunnel (also known as a configured tunnel):

1. Visit our tunnelbroker.net site and log in.
2. Once you log into the site, click "Create Regular Tunnel" and provide your IPv4 endpoint address and choose a preferable tunnel server location. (Note: Your IPv4 endpoint address should be displayed on the tunnel creation page)
3. After you successfully create a tunnel, visit your account's detail page and choose your OS type to get example configuration commands.
4. Use the commands to configure your machine. Please remember, you must have 'administrator' privilege to configure your machine.
5. Once you configure your machine, please browse sites like »ipv6.google.com or »kame.net to test your IPv6 connectivity.

*Two important notes:
1. Your IPv4 endpoint address must be reachable via ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol).
2. If you are using a NAT (Network Address Translation) appliance, please make sure it allows and forwards protocol 41.
What is Protocol 41?
Protocol 41 is one of the Internet Protocol numbers. Within the IPv4 header, the IPv4 Protocol field is set to 41 to indicate an encapsulated IPv6 packet.
**Useful references:
1. Video Tutorials: »ipv6.he.net/presentations.php
2. Tunnel Broker Forums: »tunnelbroker.net/forums/

It looks like waiting for Comcast might be the simplest way to get this going, though this is a great learning experience on tunneling and IPv6. A lot to digest, I think I'll leave it for tomorrow.

Edit-Since that is a 6to4 Tunnel, I would guess I select that in my router's IPv6 settings.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

Click for full size
I just followed these instructions. »www.tunnelbroker.net/for ··· c=1850.0

Here is an excerpt from my own setup.

The client IPv4 address is the IP address I get from Comcast.
I set my router to 6RD manual.
I put into my router the Prefix which is 2001:470:1f07:46
the Prefix length which is 64
the Boarder Relay which is 209.51.161.14
and the IPv4 Address Mask Length which is 32

Some more reading for you. »www.tunnelbroker.net/for ··· c=1561.0
»forum1.netgear.com/showt ··· ?t=63195

If you have any questions please let me know so I can help

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Click for full size
Thanks mi amigo! I don't see any settings for "6RD manual", just the options I listed, any ideas? The only setting I can enter that data is under "Fixed", and even then it doesn't have places for boarder relay or mask length.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

1 recommendation

YukonHawk to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
Hi guys....Since were on the topic of routers this one caught my eye INTELLINET 524988 WIRELESS 450 DUAL-BAND GIGABIT. I haven't found any reviews on it. It comes with a 3 year warranty which I thought was good. Has anyone come across or use routers from Intellinet? I checked Small Network Builder but it was not reviewed.

I have a DIR-655 which is going to be replaced in the near future. It's been rock solid since 2007, but it does not support IPv6. Thanks for any info.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by YukonHawk:

I have a DIR-655 which is going to be replaced in the near future. It's been rock solid since 2007, but it does not support IPv6. Thanks for any info.

Do you have the A revision, or the B revision? If you have the B revision of the DIR-655, there is a firmware upgrade that adds IPv6 support.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor to YukonHawk

Premium Member

to YukonHawk
said by YukonHawk:

Hi guys....Since were on the topic of routers this one caught my eye INTELLINET 524988 WIRELESS 450 DUAL-BAND GIGABIT. I haven't found any reviews on it. It comes with a 3 year warranty which I thought was good. Has anyone come across or use routers from Intellinet? I checked Small Network Builder but it was not reviewed.

I've never heard of them, are they new to the market? After doing some seraching on it, it looks like a solid router with a good warranty. Like you though, I can't find any reviews on it.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to YukonHawk

Premium Member

to YukonHawk
said by YukonHawk:

Since this thread is about IPv6, did you find any information that said that this router supports IPv6?

I went to the manufacturer's web page for that router at »www.intellinet-network.c ··· t-router and I saw no mention of IPv6 support on the router's web page, or in the downloadable user guide. The overall specs don't look that bad, but I would be hesitant to purchase any router today that did not already fully support IPv6 (and I mean fully support IPv6, not just advertise that it is "IPv6 ready")

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to whfsdude

to whfsdude
Man that brings me back memories. When I first heard the DIR-655 supported IPv6 I knew I wanted it, but then when I heard that it was only revision B I was like "damn now how am I gonna pull this off" because there really is no way of telling which version it is when ordering online or in retail stores until you open the box which they kind of frown upon lol.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

1 edit

YukonHawk to whfsdude

to whfsdude
Thx whfsdude.....I have HW version A2. I forgot that detail. A2 is pretty much end of life. I think it's time for me to pull the plug.....errr bad joke. LOL!
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

1 recommendation

Thordrune to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Man that brings me back memories. When I first heard the DIR-655 supported IPv6 I knew I wanted it, but then when I heard that it was only revision B I was like "damn now how am I gonna pull this off" because there really is no way of telling which version it is when ordering online or in retail stores until you open the box which they kind of frown upon lol.

I guess it depends on what store you go to. The Staples in my town had no issues with me opening the box for the WNDR3700 I later bought to double-check that it was a version 2. They took off the security device, gave me scissors, and told me to have at it .

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

1 recommendation

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by Thordrune:

said by Mike Wolf:

I guess it depends on what store you go to. The Staples in my town had no issues with me opening the box for the WNDR3700 I later bought to double-check that it was a version 2. They took off the security device, gave me scissors, and told me to have at it .

Yep, Staples here in Ukiah is pretty cool and laid back. I have to say the Best Buy down in Santa Rosa is too, at least in their wireless department. NOBODY beats Costco for customer service though, they are probably the best I've ever seen! Speaking of which, we're getting Costco in Ukiah, FINALLY! The STUPID city council though seems bent on denying the Walmart expansion, I swear the Ukiah City Council finds more ways to hold this County back, but that's another thread.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Yeah I trierd that once at both a BestBuy and at a Staples and I was met with frightened employees and a stern NO from managers. I just wish they would make it more clear on product lables what hardware revision things are, like next to the mac address or something, or to clearly name the version in the product name like the Linksys E4200v2

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

Yeah I trierd that once at both a BestBuy and at a Staples and I was met with frightened employees and a stern NO from managers. I just wish they would make it more clear on product lables what hardware revision things are, like next to the mac address or something, or to clearly name the version in the product name like the Linksys E4200v2

If that were done, the retailers would not be able to unload the old stock on unsuspecting victims customers.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

sad but quite true.