how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

modoc

join:2002-04-04
Economy, IN

Using Centurylink Westell 7500 modem for Frontier dsl

My old Westell 327w bit the dust. I bought a new Westell 7500 on ebay because the Westell 7500 (& Netgear 7550) are the current modems Frontier is using (you can only rent, not buy). It turns out the modem I bought is set up for Centurylink. It appears I pretty much have things working except that all Firefox browser page requests are redirected to a Centurylink 'New customer setup/registration' page. The modem reset button doesn't help. Is there a way I can upgrade the firmware to a Frontier version? Or can I manually override the redirect from the modem setup page?
Thanks,
Ken

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

Can you post a picture of the "New customer setup/registration page" and it's url

modoc

Economy, IN

I guess I'll have to figure out how to attach images first.
Ken

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17

»Site FAQ »How do I post attachments and screenshots?

This should help modoc.

modoc

Economy, IN
reply to modoc

modoc

Economy, IN

Finally got it. I have to work fast. My 327w modem is up and down continually. Probably down about 10% of time.
Ken

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

Thanks for posting the pictures
Can you post the details of what you did

modoc

Economy, IN

1 recommendation

I'm at home now and that modem is at the office. The only changes I made to the modem setup was to edit the userrname and password with my Frontier info. I also checked the vci and vcp settings as per earlier instructions from Frontier when I told them I would use a purchased modem. These settings were 0/35 which is what the Frontier rep said would work.

If I reset the modem, I get normal operation for a few seconds after reset, ie, web pages are accessible, then the browser is redirected to the first centurylink page shown above. From then on, I can't access anything but the modem (10.0.0.1) and the centurylink page.
Thanks for the help,
Ken

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

There are other isp's that use a modem that has a default pppoe username/password that only allows access to the isp's new user set up website

Can you reveal what the default pppoe username/password is also can you find out what the public ip and dns ip's are when the modem is using the pppoe username/password

modoc

Economy, IN

Sorry, but that is mostly Greek to me. I don't know where to look for most of that info.

I'm beginning to think I should have gone with the Frontier lease modem, or had I known better, made sure to buy a modem that was set up for Frontier. I just have a really hard time paying the phone company a monthly lease for something that doesn't cost much to begin with.
Thanks,
Ken

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy

Ok....