MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac to SpkyMky

MVM

to SpkyMky

Re: 2wire 3800HGV-B and Double Firewall

said by SpkyMky:

Today I got Uverse. Connecting through the 2wire directly I get about 16Mb down and 1.5Mb up (but it changes quite a bit) If I put the FVS318 it download drops to about 1.5 - 2.0 Mb down and .5Mb up.
I realize I am double natting and double firewalling, but I didn't expect it to be that bad

I doubt that "double natting and double firewalling" are the cause of the loss of speed
It's very likley that the fvs318 cannot support the uverse speeds
said by SpkyMky:

With AT&Ts ability to config the modem remotely I don't feel safe

Your fears are misplaced, att does not tinker with the modems configuration like you think
SpkyMky
join:2002-05-06
Dayton, OH

SpkyMky

I'm sure that the fvs318 wouldn't be able to support the 16Mb down based on processing power, but it just seemed weird that when I was using it behind the Speedstream 5100 DSL it was a consistent 5Mb and I've read that most people can get up to 8Mb with it.

On ATT configuring the modem... when I called support to see if I was doing something wrong they changed the settings on my 2wire for DMZ+ and router-behind-router notification remotely. Am I missing something?

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

The speed test could be wrong

Sounds like you requested help with configuring the 2wire
SpkyMky
Dayton, OH

SpkyMky

I used the att speed test and also the ones on dslreports and got the same results.

And what I did was call Uverse support and asked them if there were known issues with router behind router configurations. I had already tried the r-b-r configuration and event notification before I called and changed it back. During the call they modified the settings, we tried it again, and then they changed it back.

I detect no open ports on the 2wire from the outside, and they all show as stealth. I have run some scenarios in my head on how they are able to configure it remotely and have come up with a few, but I'm just throwing darts in the dark. I'm assuming the way they modify settings is through a very clever method that doesn't involve anything accessible to the internet but is lower level through the connection.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by SpkyMky:

I have run some scenarios in my head on how they are able to configure it remotely and have come up with a few, but I'm just throwing darts in the dark

TR-069 is used to manage the 2wire
SpkyMky
Dayton, OH

SpkyMky

Interesting... I'll have to look at TR-069 closer. A cursory glance indicates that the client device is the one that initiates the request. So does the 2wire periodically check an ATT ACS, and if a support person makes changes the modifications are configured then?

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by SpkyMky:

A cursory glance indicates that the client device is the one that initiates the request

TR-069 has been around since 2004
said by SpkyMky:

So does the 2wire periodically check an ATT ACS

There are messages in the 2wire logs that show that traffic
said by SpkyMky:

if a support person makes changes the modifications are configured then?

There are other ways for a support agent to modify the modems comfiguration
SpkyMky
Dayton, OH

SpkyMky

Thanks for your help wayjac. I'd love to know the real details of all ways that lead into the 2wire (for peace of mind) but I understand that you may have to be vague for very good reasons.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by SpkyMky:

I understand that you may have to be vague for very good reasons

Most any modem or router has a way for it to be configured remotely via the internet

I don't have any association with 2wire but I am a subscriber of att dsl
SpkyMky
Dayton, OH

SpkyMky

said by wayjac:

Most any modem or router has a way for it to be configured remotely via the internet

Yes, but I usually see it as an option in the device configuration to enable or disable remote configuration.