Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tobicat
Premium
join:2005-04-18
Tombstone, AZ

[Vista] howto link to network file

How do I make links to files on my network? I have lots of files on a external hard disk. I need to give some links to another user as to the location of some folders containing pictures. So they don't have to waste time looking for them, and probably could not find them anyway.

Example the file is

\\IOMEGA-0CD5AB\photos\Sue's Gateway\fairground

I have spent two hours trying to make a link that works.
--
7000S SatMex 5 1050, Dlink wirless

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Right click on the desktop. Select "New" - "Shortcut". In the location box enter the network path name as you have posted it above. Click "Next" and give the shortcut a name.
--
"Pink Slime" -- an ammonia-treated filler. McDonald’s and other chains stopped using it last month ....

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to tobicat
Part of your issue is the space. If you put it in quotes it should work, i.e. "\\IOMEGA-0CD5AB\photos\Sue's Gateway\fairground"

or rename it and put an underscore instead of a space, i.e. \\IOMEGA-0CD5AB\photos\Sue's_Gateway\fairground
--
When will the people realize that with DRM they aren't purchasing anything?

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
said by Kilroy:

Part of your issue is the space.

The shortcut wizard inserts the quotes for you. Attached is a screen shot of a working shortcut created while not using the quotes.
--
"Pink Slime" -- an ammonia-treated filler. McDonald’s and other chains stopped using it last month ....