Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

daake07

join:2011-06-28
Kearney, NE

1 recommendation

Let it go

Verizon announced last year that they were halting their FiOS roll out just like AT&T is halting their U-Verse roll out.

I don't see this as anti-competitive, and how is it any different than Centurylink offering service with a satellite company. They offer their Prism home TV service, which I believe they are expanding. In fact if I remember right they also partnered with Verizon Wireless to sell mobile phone service.

The only ones who should be opposed to this are the major competitors who would also want that spectrum, Sprint, AT&T, US Cellular, T-Mobile.

It's unfortunate that Windstream and Frontier can't compete in terms of speed, their only hope is to compete on price. They could also try DSL binding as well as vDSL to help compete with cable companies. I know when I'm given a choice between 1.5Mbps DSL or 22Mbps/5Mbps cable, I will be taking the cable.

It's been stated for a while, once residential LTE becomes available it will trounce DSL service. The only major issue with it would be the data caps. Once they increase to a reasonable level there would almost be no reason to get DSL.

HaloFans

join:2006-12-18

1 recommendation

Between you and NWOhio, which one is the better corporate apologist?

Telco

join:2008-12-19
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 edit
reply to daake07

Basically, those Americans outside the limited areas and streets already cabled with Fios are stuck.

Once again, the rest of the world propels ahead while we are held hostage and at the mercy of corporate boards - of legacy monopolistic businesses.

Nowhere in our Constitution does it state that business has a right to generate profits at our expense.

Automate

join:2001-06-26
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

reply to daake07

said by daake07:

Verizon announced last year that they were halting their FiOS roll out just like AT&T is halting their U-Verse roll out.

For now. Do you really think that Verizon will never put down any more FiOS fiber?

Think about in a few years when:
* The economy begins to grow again
* Unemployment drops
* Housing market picks up
* Fiber gear continues to drop in price
* The US population and housing density continues to grow
* 100Mb connections are a must-have by everyone wanting to use latest internet capabilities

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA

Verizon operates in some of the most affluent counties in the US, yet they still stopped rolling out FiOS to those areas. I'm not sure why they did that but I don't think that your bullet points are going to get them to startup again. They have some other agenda in motion.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:38

said by jjeffeory:

Verizon operates in some of the most affluent counties in the US, yet they still stopped rolling out FiOS to those areas. I'm not sure why they did that but I don't think that your bullet points are going to get them to startup again. They have some other agenda in motion.

IMO, VZ, especially now with a CEO from the wireless side, loves the profit margin of wireless and are putting nearly all money into LTE. Their unwillingness to negotiate a new contract with the union seems to indicate they aren't interested very much with the wire line side with its union employees.
--
RIP my babies Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07, Beamer 7/24/08, & Bows 12/17/94-10/11/09

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to daake07

Exactly. And it's better that it's in the hands of a company who will deploy it than let it sit idle for years and years, just being wasted.

Automate

join:2001-06-26
Atlanta, GA
reply to tim_k

I think it is only a matter of time until over-the-top TV comes. Maybe Apple, Google, Microsoft, Netflix, who knows which one will be first. Over-the-top home HD TV and 4G will not mix well.

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to daake07

They halted it because they have hundreds of town/city franchises to fulfill !! Once that is done, they *would* have had money to further expand FiOS !

The future is fiber when it comes to internet/video ; not wireless, not DSL, not copper. Youre just as ignorant as they are.

Anyone who thinks its right for a customer to walk into a VZ wireless store and buy Comcast services is an ignoramus. Verizon has their OWN wired services !

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to Telco

said by Telco:

Nowhere in our Constitution does it state that business has a right to generate profits at our expense.

Being that the constitution doesn't GRANT any RIGHTS,.. it doesn't. The constitution only limits the powers of the government from restricting certain rights.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to ITALIAN926

There's all kinds of weird overlaps. AT&T sells U-Verse and DirecTV.

BiggA

EARTH

And it's not like AT&T is not rolling out U-Verse just because they have a partnership with DirecTV. A lot of their stores have both side by side (which ironically makes U-Verse look like a POS).