Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Waldothe3rd

Re: So...I'm still working...

So far I don't see any drawbacks to this choice. At least none that weren't already as bad as they could be; like the ability to visit with my Son who already lives 2 hours away.

I'm hoping that the "allure" of Monterey will get my ex's parents (or even my ex and her new hubby) to come up for the weekend every now and then so they can drop him off with me. At least then they get to make a weekend of it instead of dreading the current 4 hour drive to drop him off and go back.

- FM
--
Q: How many theoretical physicists specializing in general relativity does it take to change a light bulb?
A: Two. One to hold the bulb and one to rotate the universe.

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 edit

Preview of my "I'M OUTTA HERE" email for old job.

This is my first draft of the email I plan to send to the various peeps I've worked with over the years at Mercury. Whaddya think?

said by FutureMon :
Well everyone,

The time has come yet again, for me to take another leap of faith and try something new. To that end, today, Friday the 13th, 2012 is my last day here at Mercury.

I will be moving north - up to Monterey Bay; to take a permanent position at a new company with an old friend who also used to work here at Mercury back during our first stint on the Quicksilver team.

To all my Developer friends, I will miss working with you, solving the problems we encountered day-to-day, poking fun at QA when they raised defects against our code ("It works on MY machine!").

To my QA friends, I will miss working with you too. I had the honor of actually working in and on your teams, to try and make things even better than they were before, and actually being able to hint at potential solutions here and there due to my experience on "the dark side" of development.

To my friends in Business Analysis. You guys have some of the most difficult jobs around! Props to you all for being so friendly to everyone, assisting all sides when needed, and coming through time and time again when it mattered the most! Without your efforts, Mercury wouldn't be where they are today. I am honored to have worked with all of you as well; helping out wherever and whenever I could.

To my friends in Release Management, keep up the great work! Without you guys, none of the other teams could prove anything worked on anyone's machine

And finally, to Management. Thank you for repeatedly bringing me back throughout the years when you had a need, and saw that I could be of assistance, whether it be doing development, QA or otherwise.

I wish each and every one of you well; good luck and fortune in your future. My mobile number will remain the same, as it has since the early 90's when I first got it, so feel free to keep in touch! Remember, I'm always happy to lend an ear if you've got something you think I can help with...

- Patrick

--
Q: How many theoretical physicists specializing in general relativity does it take to change a light bulb?

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

I would send nothing. Just leave. The ones you care about already know or know how to find you. Anyone else will delete it before the second paragraph.

If you insist on sending something, make it VERY brief and lose the jokes. "The dark side" "Poking fun at QA" ... unprofessional and out of place.

"I'm leaving Friday. I wish you all well and hope to work with you again in the future."

Anything more comes across as "Hey, look at me!"
--
Those with a moral objection to birth control make a good case for using it.

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

2 edits

Really? No props for anyone? I mean I've worked there off and on for the better part of 6 years...and everything I said is true!

I honestly doubt I'll ever go back for another stint there, so why not go out with a "bang" that gives people a few chuckles and passes along a little respect at the same time?

Everybody knows that Developers poke fun at QA, and QA loves to find things that make the Developers want to pull their hair out...it's like that anywhere you work. I'm just making light of it a little...

Plus, there is a "little" bit of "look at me" intended. If upper, upper management ever sees it, they're going to wonder why the hell I wasn't brought on perm...with all the varied experience I have obtained working there they are losing a valuable resource...Every single time they brought me back as a contractor I told them I wanted to go perm. But they never would pull the trigger.

- FM
--

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

1 recommendation

If you want to thank someone, tell them. If you can't do it in person, send an email to the individual.

Broadcast "I'm leaving" emails scream drama queen as far as I'm concerned. Just not my style.
--
Those with a moral objection to birth control make a good case for using it.

Postal
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA

1 recommendation

said by No_Strings:

Broadcast "I'm leaving" emails scream drama queen as far as I'm concerned. Just not my style.

I agree. I saw quite a few of these during my 24 year stint with my previous employer, but none of them were as lengthy as yours.

Like N_S says, if you do insist, keep it very brief.
--
Next time you wave at me, use ALL your fingers.

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium
join:2002-08-26
PNW
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to FutureMon

said by FutureMon:

Plus, there is a "little" bit of "look at me" intended. If upper, upper management ever sees it, they're going to wonder why the hell I wasn't brought on perm...with all the varied experience I have obtained working there they are losing a valuable resource...

- FM

No, upper management will know entirely that not making you perm was the right thing do to.

Do you really not know that this has 'drama queen' written all over it?
--
Home of the free, because of the brave.
Any Soldier
Dog Tags for Kids
My Pictures

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

OK I get it. But in all the years I've worked there I've seen people come and people go; and each and every time someone leaves there's always been an email sent giving props to those they worked with followed with forwarding contact information...

I could keep it brief; but then I wouldn't be being myself. And everyone knows how prolific I can be when it comes to documentation

I may end up just not sending anything out. Then people would wonder what ever happened to me.

- FM
--