All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ethelstan
join:2010-11-05

1 edit

ethelstan

For those who are on 16 profile, what's your actual speed?

Just upgraded today and here's my stats now (Brampton, ON)

I am wondering what your speed is if you are on the 16 profile??

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Post your line stats if you know how. If your line is good enough, you can put a request for a 19meg profile, which takes the overhead into account and you'll get 16meg real speeds.
ethelstan

1 edit

ethelstan

I've been struggling to get my line stats, I even disconnected my router to get to »192.168.1.254/ or speedtouch.lan ... but I still couldn't. I downloaded DMT but it wont recognize the modem ip address.

I scoured the net but to no avail. I use Speed touch 516v6 with Linksys WRT54GL (Tomato 1.27)

xxgg
join:2004-01-15

xxgg

Here is how I get my line stats from SpeedTouch 516v6,

Simply disconnect the working DSL modem from router

Connect direct to LAN port on PC,

Launch DMT tool with 192.168.1.254/23 IP address (default)

*If Modem is rebooted TCP-IPv4 setting from Windows need to be changed.

Change TCP/IPv4 settings,

Manually enter the following,

IP: 10.0.0.1
Subnet 255.0.0.0
Default gateway: 10.0.0.138

Preferred DNS server: 10.0.0.138

Once DSL modem is sync'd launch DMT tool

connect using 10.0.0.138 IP.

No need to touch Login/Password.

*but for me doing it the first way doesn't seems to work for me.
so i manually enter those info to IPv4 to gain access.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009 to ethelstan

to ethelstan

Bugblndr
join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON

Bugblndr to ethelstan

to ethelstan

murfam
join:2010-04-10
Milton, ON

murfam

ethelstan

ethelstan to xxgg

to xxgg
Thank you so much! ... took me a while to tinker with but I finally got it! (I can't express the word thank you enough. I scoured the internet and this solution works ..... )

Anyway, here's my line stats:

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Wow, thats an awesome line... Can EEEEASILY get the 19meg profile, with 1088 upload too.
ethelstan

ethelstan

Thanks for the quick and helpful response everyone!

I'll be sure to go to direct forum for further assistance.

*For two years with 6mbs profile, I was stuck 4ish-mbs thinking that's the best I could do / nothing could be done. I guess DSLReports kind of open my horizon on this one.
mshdpotatoes
join:2006-05-03

mshdpotatoes to ethelstan

to ethelstan

Got my upgrade yesterday. Downstream RCO was 99% (on the same profile in the screenshot) until I reinstalled the POTS splitter myself earlier today. After I did that and found I was suddenly looking at 80% RCO, I tried requesting a bump to the 19455/1085 overhead-adjusted profile. I've got a response saying the upstream shouldn't be a problem to bump, but as far as the downstream goes, they're telling me I'm already on the correct, maximum possible profile. Going by other posts it seems (and I'm hoping) the downstream might get bumped as a consequence of the upstream being fixed, but I'm still waiting to see how it goes.

It should go without saying that being told if I get a higher downstream profile it'll just be a mistake which I should feel lucky for and that the non-overhead-adjusted profile I'm currently on is the maximum possible is absolute shenanigans. Bell gives the higher profile to their own customers, they're obligated to provide the same damn profiles to wholesalers, we shouldn't have to beg and plead and risk Bell's diagnostic fee just to get the service that was advertised and we paid for.
Bugblndr
join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON

Bugblndr to ethelstan

to ethelstan
My RCO was at about the same as yours on both up and down when my profile was first set to the 16320/800 profile. I called tech support, they ran some tests and within a couple of hours my profile was bumped up to the 19453/1088. Hopefully everything goes as smoothly for you.

Chuck sTruck
@teksavvy.com

Chuck sTruck to ethelstan

Anon

to ethelstan
With a line like that i'd also post in the Bell forum asking "what the hell happened"? I'm sure the people who read the Bell forums would like to see the shaft job Bell gives the third party isp's.
ethelstan

ethelstan to mshdpotatoes

to mshdpotatoes
said by mshdpotatoes:

[att=1]
It should go without saying that being told if I get a higher downstream profile it'll just be a mistake which I should feel lucky for and that the non-overhead-adjusted profile I'm currently on is the maximum possible is absolute shenanigans.

You said it best

If all PPoE connection is actually correct at 80% RCO why not advertise it as 13MBps and call it a day?
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Wow, thats an awesome line...

At only 1dB attenuation, it isn't so much the line being "great" as it is there not being much of a line to speak of in the first place: at ~18dB/km@1.5MHz, that puts the remote under 60m from his modem. You would have to use "creative sabotage", not merely sub-par wiring to ruin stats without affecting attenuation over such a short distance.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to ethelstan

Premium Member

to ethelstan

...it doesn't look good.
I have a feeling my tech(s) are not going to show up today .

But that being said, I ordered the 16/1 service and here's where I'm at. I've checked, there's only 1 phone jack in my new apartment, which funnily had 3008/800 service on it already when I was here on Tuesday and plugged in my modem and things synced good.

Now, I've heard these TP-Link modems might have issues so I'm wondering if its that which might be causing my problem? I just bought the TD-8616 because it was a good deal....and no sense paying for extra since I already had a router which was more than enough to handle just my traffic (WNDR3500L), so I didn't end up paying more.

Will changing the modem make a difference? I get to about 12.8mb on speedtests, just didn't save any.

kragop
join:2006-02-15
Scarborough, ON

kragop to ethelstan

to ethelstan

gslice
join:2005-02-18
Elyria, OH
·Breezeline

1 edit

gslice to ethelstan

to ethelstan

AC3
join:2012-03-22
Pierrefonds, QC

AC3 to ethelstan

to ethelstan

Click for full size
wally_walrus
join:2009-10-07
Orleans, ON

wally_walrus to nitzguy

to nitzguy
I just got my 16M service activated today (of course no tech showed but still hope will get the POTS splitter) and was trying to get the line stats from my TD-8616 using OrbMT. I noticed you were able to read them what did you configure in Settings? I selected Modem Type - TcTool (TrendChip), IP Address - 192.168.0.1, Port - 23, Username/Passwd - admin/admin (default)

Thanks,
mshdpotatoes

mshdpotatoes

The 8616's IP is 192.168.1.1 ...
wally_walrus
Orleans, ON

wally_walrus

I am reaching its web interface at 192.168.0.1
mshdpotatoes

1 edit

mshdpotatoes

Curious, mine is at 192.168.1.1... Obviously if you're reaching yours at that address, that's what yours is set to. I think I might plug mine in and see what I can see, I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

-edit-
Glad to see nitzguy respond with the correct info, all I learned from plugging in my 8616 is that it degrades my SNR stat pretty significantly compared to my Speedtouch. If I'm ever stuck using my tplink I'll have to remember to try every modem on the list instead of just the obvious (but wrong!) one.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to wally_walrus

Premium Member

to wally_walrus
said by wally_walrus:

I just got my 16M service activated today (of course no tech showed but still hope will get the POTS splitter) and was trying to get the line stats from my TD-8616 using OrbMT. I noticed you were able to read them what did you configure in Settings? I selected Modem Type - TcTool (TrendChip), IP Address - 192.168.0.1, Port - 23, Username/Passwd - admin/admin (default)

Thanks,

Weird as mine was on 192.168.1.1 like mashedpotatoes....

But that being said, I honestly in OrbMT started at the top and worked my way down the list of the modems....I ended up on the almighty Speedmodem 200 and it connected right away....unfortunately the 8616 isn't supported in DMT...but OrbMT still does what I need it to do so I'm happy with it....

Still hoping things get better, and still haven't seen either tech...
wally_walrus
Orleans, ON

1 edit

wally_walrus to ethelstan

to ethelstan

speedtest.net

orbmt
Click for full size
The Telecon tech just left after installing the splitter (bell guy never showed, I guess they might have just connected me to a remote). My upload was in the 0.68M range before he came, but he made a call into Bell and they raised the line rate to 1085K, so here's what I'm getting now. Still confused on why they haven't bumped me up to a higher then 16320K DL profile
wally_walrus

wally_walrus

just got bumped up to the 19455/1085 profile, and now my speeds are over 16M. SNR margins also upped a bit to over 7dB. Hooray, hope it stays that way
sppena
join:2007-06-08
Toronto

sppena

How does one get the 19455/1085 profile?, assuming that my profile is within requirements

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn

Premium Member

The unfortunate thing about the 19M profiles, is that it's the same story as those who got the 7M profile when they were paying for 5/6 megs. Some get lucky! If it's on 16megs, we can't asked to get it upgraded to 19.

Martin
wally_walrus
Orleans, ON

wally_walrus to sppena

to sppena
I have not requested the bump, just a few hours ago I was on 16320 / 1085
mshdpotatoes

mshdpotatoes to JenSuisUn

to JenSuisUn
said by JenSuisUn:

we can't asked to get it upgraded to 19.

Sorry but that's utter shenanigans and TSI needs to get it sorted out already.

The CRTC mandated that Bell provide you with all the profiles they provide their own customers. From 2010-063: "the Commission concludes that the major ILECs are to provide, upon demand from a competitor, their wholesale aggregated ADSL access services at speeds that match all of their retail Internet service speed options, including those speeds those ILECs offer their retail customers over their FTTN facilities."

So the CRTC says you can not just ask for, you can demand the correct overhead adjust profile because Bell gives it to their own customers. You say jump, they say how high!. We're paying for XMbps to the internet, not XMbps to Bell's network and YMbps to the internet. If the line can handle the proper speed, we should be seeing it, in every case, not the just hit-and-miss, sometimes-you-get-it sometimes-you-don't, maybe-you'll-be-lucky cases.