Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to CptGemini

Premium Member

to CptGemini

Re: [Rant] $&!%* Re-Captcha!

said by CptGemini:

said by neonturbo:

I get the point of the Captcha, but they don't have to swirl it so much that it looks like something from a 70's acid trip.

As a site administrator myself and a forum admin on a website I help out I can tell you that helps prevent hundreds upon hundreds of spam bots from signing up every month. It's something I have to deal with on daily basis and its not fun. It's something I have been going very easy on with my site. I don't have it set that strict so some do get through the captcha.

for the user account creation? does it have the whole "if you cant read this, or hear this, click this link to have us create an account for you" thing? if so, does any one actually monitor that account? ive had a few places where i just flat out could not make out the captcha at all and tryd that method, never heard from them.

i get using it to help prevent spam bots, but as a wordpress blog owner/admin i know that akismet works better than captcha, youd be surprised by how many bots get past the captcha thanks to "services" that pay people to sit on the computer and solve captchas all day...

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

our forum uses phpbb, i have tried to add mods to it to help prevent more spam but they all take too long. i wanted to use re-captcha since it does a better job at fooling the bots but it doesnt work right now. it'll show captchas for a bit then it won't be there at all.

ive personally just resulted in to banning entire IP blocks (not just single IPs) of the ones that actually post something once they get through.

MemphisPCGuy
Taking Care Business
Premium Member
join:2004-05-09
Memphis, TN

MemphisPCGuy

Premium Member

said by CptGemini:

ive personally just resulted in to banning entire IP blocks (not just single IPs) of the ones that actually post something once they get through.

Add ZBBLOCK to your php based forum. It is amazing.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini

Premium Member

said by MemphisPCGuy:

said by CptGemini:

Add ZBBLOCK to your php based forum. It is amazing.

You aren't kidding lol. I noticed a huge performance boost in page load times once I put it in and I only put it in on the ucp and viewtopic pages. It may of been something else though that caused the boost in page load times on the forum. Sometimes our server for some unknown reason uses up like 99% of 8GB of ram and I know it can't be anything I am running.

It's not 100% accurate but you can see some server info here: »www.akaskriller.com/phps ··· =dynamic