My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

1 recommendation

fiberguy2 to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080

Re: Only approved if Verizon builds out FiOS for everyone

Does anyone REALLY think that Comcast has any desire to offer wireless service? Let's not forget the past. Comcast was a wireless carrier. Comcast has tried, and failed, on several occasions to offer a wireless service. Each wireless venture turned out to be such a joke of an offering that the consumer realized they could get a better deal on their own. Comcast has often sold the quad play as "one combined bill".. and surprise!! .. not everyone likes to drop a lot of money in one spot. (ie: all eggs in one basket) Many people have learned that while these resellers offer verizon's service, you usually can't just leave Comcast, in this case, and jump to Verizon with out starting a new contract as a new customer.

Over the years people have learned what a joke reseller agreements really are. Qwest resold Sprint service for a while, that didn't go well for them. They dumped Sprint and moved to Verizon. I really don't think it's the greatest thing either for Qwest, now CL.

I think Comcast is just selling the spectrum off to Verizon for a profit, putting up the front that they're going to sell combined service, and in about a year, at best, those who foolishly subscribed with Comcast's new friend, formerly a foe, will get the familiar letter, something of:

Dear Valued Subscriber,

We're dumping Verizon service. you're welcome to migrate directly to Verizon, and in fact we'll make it easy for you! ... you're now a Verizon customer!

Sincerely,

Comcast
Richer for the Deal

I'm seriously trying to figure out why comcast wants to get into wireless. They've talked about it for YEARS! And a comapny the size of comcast, with all the money they have, seriously can't figure out their way into wireless? I see Comcast's desire to be a wireless option about the same as the way AT&T made my iPhone 4S a 4G phone over night with a small update - it's just a "we have to be part of the parade" kinda thing.

But I really believe that this is just a shell operation to transfer spectrum to Verizon with out the pesky FCC getting in the way.

If I were congress, I'd require that if they want this deal that bad, then Verizon Telco and Verizon Wireless need to got the way of AT&T et 1984.. split 'em up! AT&T should have been split up in the same way when they wanted Tmo, and when they merged with Bell South. Either regulate them again, or split up their operations. Split 'em up and see how fast the land line business starts to innovate in order to survive with out the cash cow of the wireless.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926

quote:
Split 'em up and see how fast the land line business starts to innovate in order to survive with out the cash cow of the wireless.
Ding Ding Ding , we have a winner !

The most sensible deal is for VZW to go team up with the cable co's, and for AT&T to * gulp* merge with VZwireline AND adopt FiOS as its new love-child.

Aside from a small amount of wholesale lines inherited when SBC bought AT&T and Verizon bought MCI, these companies do NOT compete. Their wireline areas do not cross anywhere except one lucky town in Texas that can get either FioS OR Uverse.