All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

[optical] How do I get WMC or WMA12 to play Blu-ray???

How do I get the Windows Media Center or Windows Media Player 12 to play Blu-ray movies???

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible

Windows Media Player 12 does not play Blu-ray

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy to floydb1982

to floydb1982
Maybe using codec pack:

»www.ehow.com/how_7197632 ··· -pc.html

get the mega one..?... >.>
»www.codecguide.com/downl ··· d_kl.htm

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

1 recommendation

JimE to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
Personally, I'd stay away from codec packs. Get a media player that officially supports Blu-Ray (as noted previously in your VLC issue).

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

Can't be that bad. I been using Klite for years, and it is fine.
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned) to floydb1982

to floydb1982
Inslall VLC and Libbluray »www.videolan.org/develop ··· ray.html done deal, you now have a video player that plays pretty much every format ever.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to floydb1982

MVM

to floydb1982
You should probably take a look at this:

Cinavia DRM: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Blu-ray’s Self-Destruction

With all the protection schemes in effect it seems extremely unlikely that you could simply install some codec pack or utility and be good to go. Even if that were the case its unlikely to remain the case as this is something of a moving target.

Now if you are talking about actively trying to rip BD movies rather then simply playing BD discs, that’s probably a slightly different ballgame.

You’re probably better off simply playing the BD movie discs in an approved application of which Microsoft Media Center is not (Media Player as well). Cyberlink PowerDVD and Arcsoft Total Media Extreme both have Microsoft Media Center (plug-in) launch programs which allow you to launch the player software from within Media Center and exit back to Media Center.

Unfortunately sometimes things are complicated and there isn’t always a simple answer. A simple answer in this case probably isn’t telling you everything you need to know and isn’t accurate overall.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to JimE

Premium Member

to JimE
said by JimE:

Personally, I'd stay away from codec packs. Get a media player that officially supports Blu-Ray (as noted previously in your VLC issue).

Ditto.
Dustyn

Dustyn to FizzyMyNizzy

Premium Member

to FizzyMyNizzy
said by FizzyMyNizzy:

Can't be that bad. I been using Klite for years, and it is fine.

K-Lite and others aren't bad per say... but it needs to be configured better out of the box. I gave up trying to get it to work right with Windows 7. The default configuration messed up my system that I couldn't play .AVI files correctly. It was far more hassle than it was worth and found it came with a steep learning curve just to get it working correctly at all.
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982 to JimE

to JimE
Dogg I've been thinking of using CyberLink PowerDVD 12 for Blu-ray is it any good???
floydb1982

floydb1982 to Raible

to Raible
Dissembled what a shame maybe Microsoft will offer Blu-ray support in Windows 8.
floydb1982

floydb1982 to intok

to intok
intok I've heard that VLC had Blu-ray support but when I went to install it none of my Blu-ray would work with it.
floydb1982

floydb1982 to JimE

to JimE
Dogg what is wrong with these so called code packs your talking about???
floydb1982

floydb1982 to FizzyMyNizzy

to FizzyMyNizzy
FizzyMyNizzy what is Klite??? Any good for Blu-ray???
floydb1982

floydb1982 to Octavean

to Octavean
Octavean I've already heard about all this DRM stuff before. Just because they use it doesn't mean I'm ever going to stop using Blu-ray.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean

MVM

said by floydb1982:

How do I get the Windows Media Center or Windows Media Player 12 to play Blu-ray movies???

said by floydb1982:

Octavean I've already heard about all this DRM stuff before. Just because they use it doesn't mean I'm ever going to stop using Blu-ray.

You misunderstood my intention then if you think I was suggesting that you should not use Blu-Ray. I was only addressing your original question about getting Microsoft Media Center or Windows Media Player 12 to play Blu-ray movies as well as the other posters suggestions of codec packs (which obviously wont defeat DRM)

Simply put, Media Center and Windows Media Player 12 have no official support for Blu-Ray. Using officially supported software (as I suggested earlier Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra and Arcsoft Total Media Extreme for example) will likely be easier with respect to Blu-Ray disc playback then trying to cobble together the functionality from unsupported software. Such supported software also has Media Center launch options so the player software can be launched from Media Center and return to Media Center. That’s a boon for Media Center users who are used to using a Media Center remote and the immersion of Media Center.

I have four PC Blu-Ray drives:

LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Burner
ASUS BD-ROM DVD+/-R/W
LiteOn BD-ROM
HP Laptop BD-ROM DVD+/-R/W drive

I have Cyberlink PowerDVD Ultra 7 and 9 as well as a version of Arcsoft Total Media Extreme. Although I would like to update the software soon.

***edit***

Although perhaps it was me who misunderstood you. If you were already aware of the restrictions of Blu-Ray as you say, then presumably you were also aware of the difficulties in using unsupported software to play the media. Where you then asking about how to defeat such restrictions,…?

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to floydb1982

Premium Member

to floydb1982
»www.anandtech.com/show/5 ··· for-os-x
For Apple... yes.

"The Blu-Ray support is limited decrypted media, which means commercial Blu-Rays with DRM won't work. Also, the OS X version doesn't support Blu-Ray at all yet, although VideoLAN is planning on porting it to the OS X version as well."