ARRIS SB6141

1 recommendation

aefstoggaflm to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude

Re: [IPv6] Deployment of IPv6 Begins

said by whfsdude:

said by Mike Wolf:

How would one know if they are seeing RA's on their own router?

In my case I am using a *nix based router so I can just run tcpdump on the WAN interface.

tcpdump -i em0 -n -vv ip6

I am running DHCPv6 as well on the WAN int. Nothing being handed out to me yet but I wonder if that's because my Zoom modem isn't on their IPv6 list (maybe soon? finger crossed!).

Besides the question that I posted earlier, I am just wondering..

#1 Why not use WireShark ?

#2 Does the IP Address of the computer running WireShark (or using that command line way), have to be a public IP ?

Thanks.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by aefstoggaflm:

If it were something I'd need to trace or just more data, I would have used tcpdump to a file and opened it in Wireshark.

If you're just looking at router advertisements and DHCPv6, not real need to go through all the effort of using Wireshark.

#2 Does the IP Address of the computer running WireShark (or using that command line way), have to be a public IP ?

tcpdump is actually being run on the interface, not on an address. It has to be your WAN interface if you want to see if Comcast is sending out any RAs.

jjmb
join:2009-12-01
USA

jjmb to aefstoggaflm

to aefstoggaflm
said by aefstoggaflm:

said by whfsdude:

said by Mike Wolf:

How would one know if they are seeing RA's on their own router?

In my case I am using a *nix based router so I can just run tcpdump on the WAN interface.

tcpdump -i em0 -n -vv ip6

I am running DHCPv6 as well on the WAN int. Nothing being handed out to me yet but I wonder if that's because my Zoom modem isn't on their IPv6 list (maybe soon? finger crossed!).

Besides the question that I posted earlier, I am just wondering..

Thanks.

Be sure to check »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net, we are making regular updates.