spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yhp

join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA

[DVR] Got "30 Rock" as a series recording?

If so, better check your DVR's scheduled recordings before prime-time tonight. NBC scheduled 2 non-repeat back-to-back episodes this week, and Kabletown's Xfinity DVR promptly got confused and cancelled the 2nd.

LOL. Series recording fail. Apparently one has to schedule NBC Thursday nights by hand week-to-week (where back-to-backs of new eps occasionally happen.)

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

1 recommendation

Re: [DVR] Got "30 Rock" as a series recording?

no issue with mine. Do you have another recording scheduled for a different channel, or maybe have a recording set set to start a few minutes early/late?

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

1 recommendation

reply to yhp
Mine is also fine. As mentioned, if you have it set to add extra time, it thinks it's a conflict. You can remove the extra time individually, or alter the series settings.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to yhp
30 Rock is set to record on my Motorola DCH 3416 (A28) My settings are: Series recording, New episodes only. Channel 232, WCAU HD.

Both the 8:30pm and the 9pm show are scheduled to record. I'm in Montgomery County, PA.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to yhp
I should also add, if it is an issue of extra time causing problems, you can make sure that the 'DVR Clipping' option is turned on in DVR settings. This will allow it to clip the first 2 or 3 minutes of the following program. Since both are on the same channel, you won't really lose anything, although you may end up switching recordings at a weird time, and maybe lose a few seconds.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA

2 edits
reply to rendrenner
said by rendrenner:

no issue with mine. Do you have another recording scheduled for a different channel, or maybe have a recording set set to start a few minutes early/late?

I have three different NBC-Thursday shows done as new-only, single-channel series with 2min. before and 2 min. after each. ("30 Rock", "Parks", and "The Office"). These shows often end up married up next to each other, and some weeks, follow three-in-a-row. But this "cancellation" never happens when the shows have two different titles: show A gets its 2 minutes at the end, show B gets its 2 additional minutes at the beginning, and for two four minutes, two different things are recording, which is xactly what Xfinity says I should be able to do: record 2 things at once.

As it happens this week, only "30 Rock" is up for a new ep, so "30 Rock" x2 was the only scheduled recording(s) (snuffed or otherwise) after 6PM.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
reply to andyross
said by andyross:

Since both are on the same channel, you won't really lose anything, although you may end up switching recordings at a weird time, and maybe lose a few seconds.

No thanks - I "lose a few seconds" already every time Xfinity puts local ads in the Colbert Report or Law & Order: CI reruns and fails to switch back in time. I don't know how they "enjoy" TV in the xecutive suites at Xfinity, but speaking for myself, I don't have ADD.

Maybe they should fix the software.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to yhp
There isn't any real need to add 2 minutes to the front of network shows. Most tend to run late, not early.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
said by andyross:

There isn't any real need to add 2 minutes to the front of network shows. Most tend to run late, not early.

And there isn't any real need for buggy DVR software.

But there it is.

mariod

join:2009-06-16
reply to yhp
The number of issues that you and you alone experience with Comcast service is truly staggering.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
said by mariod:

The number of issues that you and you alone experience with Comcast service is truly staggering.

[*blushes*]

Stop flirting!

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
reply to yhp
said by yhp:

said by andyross:

Since both are on the same channel, you won't really lose anything, although you may end up switching recordings at a weird time, and maybe lose a few seconds.

No thanks - I "lose a few seconds" already every time Xfinity puts local ads in the Colbert Report or Law & Order: CI reruns and fails to switch back in time.

Have you contacted the local Comcast Spotlight rep about that? They love to know when their ads are screwed up.
»www.comcastspotlight.com/markets···ntact-us
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
said by DrDrew:

Have you contacted the local Comcast Spotlight rep about that?

I contacted Comcast about it, years ago and repeatedly, and for the same show (specifically, the morning rerun of Colbert).

And nothing happened. So I followed the advice offered here repeatedly: Lousy Comcast service? Adjust your lifestyle and expectations around their incompetence!

So I avoided the morning repeats, but their incompetence is now stepping on the new evening shows. Whatev. Can't do OTA. Can't get FIOS. If I want an edit of the show not made for crackheads, I have to pirate a copy.

They love to know when their ads are screwed up.

But it's not their ads that are screwed up. It's the TV shows I'm trying to watch between the ads.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
said by yhp:

said by DrDrew:

Have you contacted the local Comcast Spotlight rep about that?

I contacted Comcast about it, years ago and repeatedly, and for the same show (specifically, the morning rerun of Colbert).

And nothing happened. So I followed the advice offered here repeatedly: Lousy Comcast service? Adjust your lifestyle and expectations around their incompetence!

So I avoided the morning repeats, but their incompetence is now stepping on the new evening shows. Whatev. Can't do OTA. Can't get FIOS. If I want an edit of the show not made for crackheads, I have to pirate a copy.

They love to know when their ads are screwed up.

But it's not their ads that are screwed up. It's the TV shows I'm trying to watch between the ads.

Have you contacted Spotlight? Not Comcast Cable.

The cable side can't do much about it, they don't control the ads or their timing.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA

1 edit
said by DrDrew:

Have you contacted Spotlight? Not Comcast Cable.

What is this, a sobriety test? I repeatedly contacted Comcast service with times and dates. If they couldn't find the right people - be it tech or ads - to solve the problem, I can only conclude they didn't give a shit.

Maybe you could provide a figure of how much time you would like me to reasonably spend on it. Because in the face of "We don't give a shit.", the time required to follow through to completion can stretch to xfinity.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to yhp
Just checked my DVR, no problems as both are scheduled just fine.

mariod

join:2009-06-16
reply to yhp
said by yhp:

I repeatedly contacted Comcast service with times and dates. If they couldn't find the right people - be it tech or ads - to solve the problem, I can only conclude they didn't give a shit.

This is just like the time I called the police about my taxes.

If the officer who responded couldn't find the right people to solve the problem, than I'm not to blame for not filing last year.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA

1 edit
reply to beachintech
said by beachintech:

Just checked my DVR, no problems as both are scheduled just fine.

Thanks, but first two posters had it right: a combination of conditions involving colliding show titles and Series Recording and time overlap triggered a software bug, as 4 minutes of overlap worked fine when I de-seriesed "30 Rock", and re-selected Thursday's 2 shows as individual 1-time recordings with time added to each.

So, while DVR's got awesome features like Series Recording and adding minutes to shows - one probably shouldn't risk actually using it - or them - together - or something.

charm

@spcsdns.net
reply to yhp
Remember 30 Rock is available for free on demand, don't miss a second. As an employee of Comcast, try to replace your DVR to a DCX3400 or DCX3501 model (black box) make sure the last section of the model number on the bottom says "500" this is your memory "500 GB" this will almost triple your memory over a DCH3416 (120 GB)

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
said by charm :

Remember 30 Rock is available for free on demand, don't miss a second.

"On Demand" isn't free. If it were free, it would be included with all levels of service, yet it doesn't come with Digital Economy.

And it sucks donkey balls, so there's that.

Floppy

join:2002-07-03

1 recommendation

said by yhp:

said by charm :

Remember 30 Rock is available for free on demand, don't miss a second.

"On Demand" isn't free. If it were free, it would be included with all levels of service, yet it doesn't come with Digital Economy.

And it sucks donkey balls, so there's that.

He said 30 Rock was free on VOD; not that the On Demand service is free.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to yhp
I will just catch it on demand, via Hulu, NBC.com, or thousands of other means if I miss 10-15 seconds of the episode ending.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to yhp
Well, this is frustrating. After I saw your post I checked my DVR and both 30 Rock episodes were listed to be recorded (I have it set up as a series recording).

BUT, when I returned home Thursday evening, only the first episode had recorded. I had to watch the second episode using On Demand (and had to sit through the commercials - yuk).

So, even though my DVR initially listed both shows as ready to record it skipped the second for some reason.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
reply to Floppy
"Free with purchase of this beautiful toothbrush." != Free.

yhp

Philadelphia, PA
reply to beachintech
said by beachintech:

I will just catch it on demand, via Hulu, NBC.com, or thousands of other means if I miss 10-15 seconds of the episode ending.

Wow, for someone so happy with his cable service, you sure do have a lot of backup plans lined up.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
reply to Oregonian
My set top must be an anomaly. Both of the new 30 Rock recordings on NBC HD (WCAU) on March 22nd were recorded without issue.