PirateJim
Premium
join:2007-07-11
Toms River, NJ

STB rates going up

Got this letter in the mail today:

IMPORTANT RATE NOTICE REGARDING YOUR FiOS TV EQUIPMENT

Dear Valued Customer:
We would like to thank you for being a customer and for your continued support.
We understand the primary reason you are a Verizon FiOS customer is because of the exceptional TV programming and technology we offer.
And since launching this product, we have continuously upgraded our services to earn your loyalty.

The best is yet to come.
We are working right now to build a more exciting product, with even more TV channels in HD and new equipment in the home to allow you to view your favorite programs on all your screens.

We hope you understand that to continue to bring this level of programming and technology to you, from time to time we need to modify our rates.
With this in mind, the rates below will go in effect on or after April 23.

Equipment (Set Top Box)
DVR
-Record and play programs on just one TV
-Pause and rewind live TV

Current Monthly Price*
$15.99

New Monthly Price
$16.99

Equipment (Set Top Box)
High Definition
-Watch both SD and HD channels & programming
-Access over 35,000 Video On Demand movies & shows each month

Current Monthly Price*
$5.99

New Monthly Price
$6.99

Equipment (Set Top Box)
Standard Definition
-Watch SD channels & programming

Current Monthly Price*
$5.99

New Monthly Price
$6.99

Your monthly invoice will automatically reflect the appropriate charges for the equipment you have.
You should see the changes within 1-2 billing cycles after the new pricing goes into effect.

If you would like to review your account and determine if you can bundle your equipment, or have any questions, please log on to myverizon.com or give us a call at 1.877.330.8386

Thank you for choosing Verizon as your entertainment provider.
We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to providing you with great service for years to come.

Sincerely,
Verizon

*If you currently have a promotional offer on your SD or HD STB, your rate will increase from $4.99 to $6.99.
For DVRs with promotions, your rate will increase from $12.99 to $16.99

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
kudos:1

It's all a game. They lock you into a guaranteed contract price for "service" and then increase their revenues with higher "equipment" fees. The end result is the same.

Mftop

@verizon.net
reply to PirateJim

Is there an increase for the Multi-room DVR?
Currently it is listed at $19.99.

I have three boxes: 1 MR-DVR, 1 HD STB, and 1 SD STB.

I have two equipment promotions for "life."
The free MR-DVR and the free SD STB.

The SD STB does not even appear on my monthly bill, no mention of it anywhere, not even a $0.00 as the cost.

The MR-DVR and the HD STB are listed as a bundle priced at $24.99. I get a $19.99 MR-DVR discount.

So in effect I am paying only $5 for my equipment.

I haven't got any letter yet.
I don't know how this price increase is going to affect me and others in the same situation.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to PirateJim

V is funny. Here's a price inscrease and we are working to bring you fantastic new services! So fantastic they choose not to mention what they are;)

Suggestion. If users have an MS XBox maybe it would be time to use this machine to view Verizon TV.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

You do realize the Verizon TV app on the Xbox only has like 25 channels, which about 20 of them are Viacom stations.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ
reply to IanR

"We are working right now to build a more exciting product..."

I'm excited enough with the current product. Keep the prices low for now and charge me appropriately when you have the great new stuff ready.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to PirateJim

Hurray more money to spend...

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA
reply to PirateJim

So wait, are they saying HD boxes cost the same as SD boxes?

Equipment (Set Top Box)
High Definition
-Watch both SD and HD channels & programming

Current Monthly Price*
$5.99

New Monthly Price
$6.99

Equipment (Set Top Box)
Standard Definition
-Watch SD channels & programming

Current Monthly Price*
$5.99

New Monthly Price
$6.99

*If you currently have a promotional offer on your SD or HD STB, your rate will increase from $4.99 to $6.99.

If that's the case I'll swap my three 2500-3s for HD models. I'm really tired of watching SDs from HD channels doing center-cut. It's Pan & Scan without panning.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to PirateJim

Will anyone be grandfathered in?

Sparky19053

join:2011-10-03
Feasterville Trevose, PA
reply to PirateJim

In my opinion Verizon is getting a bit greatly lately with all the new services. I currently have four STB’s. With summer coming we are rarely home so maybe it’s time for me to cancel and see what offers are available in the fall when we move back in to our winter cocoons.

claibourne

join:2011-07-04
Garland, TX
reply to PirateJim

No such letter here in N TX (not yet, anyway).

Maybe this is the price you NY/NJ customers have to pay for the cheap 150/35 bundles? Even then, not bad. An HD STB here is 9.99.

CrobertGauth

join:2007-12-15
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to Andy from CA

said by Andy from CA:

If that's the case I'll swap my three 2500-3s for HD models. I'm really tired of watching SDs from HD channels doing center-cut. It's Pan & Scan without panning.

If you have MRDVR, there are (or at least were) bundle savings based on the number of HD STBs you have. I think if you have 3 HD STBs, you get $10 off. So it is basically one free.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to claibourne

said by claibourne:

An HD STB here is 9.99.

I was wondering if the other areas of the FIOS footprint were going to have their 9.99 fee raised.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2
reply to PirateJim

Man, they are charging me $9.99 for my HD set top box. Why do they have different prices for these by region?

bohratom

Red Bank NJ

said by grobinette:

Man, they are charging me $9.99 for my HD set top box. Why do they have different prices for these by region?

Competition as here in Jersey FIOS competes against Cablevision and their boxes run $6.95. How much does a HD box run from your local cable provider?

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA

Thanks, evidently they don't feel the need to compete so much here. Cox's price in Fairfax. Advanced TV HD receiver $ 7.99

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

said by grobinette:

Advanced TV HD receiver $ 7.99

I think in RI, Cox makes it up by charging a fee to send you Advanced TV HD signal, that you have to have the Advanced HD receiver box to view.

I was helping a friend decipher her Cox bill. Much more obtuse, and 30% more expensive for the equivalent ExtremeHD triple play from FiOS. Cox nickel and dimes up here.

As soon as her ETF comes down to a manageable level, she's jumping ship.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ

1 edit

said by birdfeedr:

I think in RI, Cox makes it up by charging a fee to send you Advanced TV HD signal

Quite afew charge that HD-signal fee. I know comcast has a $9.99 HD-signal fee for some of their packages. That made sense afew years ago when HD was new and most people did'nt need it but today its becoming a legacy.

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

3 edits
reply to Steely

Yup,

The better way is to buy a SiliconDust PrimeHD ($200.00) and slide a relatively inexpensive (low monthly fee) multistream CableCard into it. Attach this by ethernet connection to your home router. Then download the FREE full WindowsMediaCenter on your desktop and away you go...

This gives you the ability to record 3 channels at the same time and play back video, or watch live tv via that same MS XBox. ALL the channels you pay for are then available.

It beats the pants off paying a monthly large fee for a DVR. I put in an extra HD in my desktop for around $100 for 2TBs of room.
Note the electronic guide in WMC is free.

For those with multiple Tvs who have a home network in place...Just buy a few more XBox's (used) very inexpensively and they will feed an additional TV each. i.e. they will get those same 3 channels and recorded programs.

I am not anti Verizon. They provide a splendid service. But just like every provider one can ring up an enormous monthly tab for overmuch hardware. There are simpler solutions and Verizon made the leap half way with their own XBox app and are to be applauded for that. But they could reduce their need to service and maintain hardware if they merely provided a minor piece of hardware such as the PrimeHD. Surely leasing multiple CableBoxes isn't an additional profit center for them?

Ooops sorry Steely I was replying to MuDvAyNe

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
Springfield, VA
reply to PirateJim

Yeah, I didn't mean to derail this. I just found it interesting that they charge different prices in different areas. I would be happy to pay just $6.99 per month for my HD STB but this is a high rent area so i suspect they charge what they think they can get away with.

gregg62

join:2008-02-09
Stirling, NJ
reply to PirateJim

Got the letter in Northern NJ today also.
I'm wondering if I can keep my grandfathered rates. The note on the bottom says 'for DVRs with promotions, your rate will increase from 12.99 to 16.99'. I'm currently paying 12.99, but it's not actually a promotion.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

We get to go another round with VZ billing

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to PirateJim

I doubt you can grandfather a price, unless it was literally under a $9.99 for a year promotion.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to PirateJim

This thread sounds a lot like an earlier thread except that one was just about the rate increase for the DVR:

»[DVR] Rate Increase

Both notices indicate that the price of the DVR will increase $1 but only one mentions a change in price for SD/HD STBs. Until VZ states otherwise, I'd expect the price increase for SD/HD STBs will only apply for NY/NJ customers who are paying 5.99 for a STB.

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY
reply to PirateJim

hope us NY'ers don't get an increase...we always get the best rates right?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
reply to PirateJim

Im glad that I get the MDVR free for life now

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

I get screwed on TV deals since I'm on a business account

My company pays for my internet though so at least I have that to be happy for.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to TitusTroy

said by TitusTroy:

hope us NY'ers don't get an increase...we always get the best rates right?

I'm pretty sure this letter is directed at NYers (and the areas close by that are in the "cheaper" equipment rate area), as aren't the HD STBs $9.99 everywhere except for NY?

just lou

join:2008-05-16
Staten Island, NY

1 edit
reply to TitusTroy

I got the letter today in NY, raising the price to $6.99/$16.99. I called Verizon to air my displeasure since I just signed a new contract this month, and they gave me another $10 a month off my package for 1 year.

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

$10 a month price increase??...ridiculous...hopefully the customer service reps can give me a deal as well...every time I call them a lot of them tell me I'm paying a really low price for my package- $104.99 pre-tax for Ultimate with 25/25

maybe they are trying to price-correct my great deal