Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gregg62

join:2008-02-09
Stirling, NJ
reply to PirateJim

Re: STB rates going up

Got the letter in Northern NJ today also.
I'm wondering if I can keep my grandfathered rates. The note on the bottom says 'for DVRs with promotions, your rate will increase from 12.99 to 16.99'. I'm currently paying 12.99, but it's not actually a promotion.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

We get to go another round with VZ billing

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to PirateJim

I doubt you can grandfather a price, unless it was literally under a $9.99 for a year promotion.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to PirateJim

This thread sounds a lot like an earlier thread except that one was just about the rate increase for the DVR:

»[DVR] Rate Increase

Both notices indicate that the price of the DVR will increase $1 but only one mentions a change in price for SD/HD STBs. Until VZ states otherwise, I'd expect the price increase for SD/HD STBs will only apply for NY/NJ customers who are paying 5.99 for a STB.

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY
reply to PirateJim

hope us NY'ers don't get an increase...we always get the best rates right?

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to PirateJim

Im glad that I get the MDVR free for life now

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

I get screwed on TV deals since I'm on a business account

My company pays for my internet though so at least I have that to be happy for.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
reply to TitusTroy

said by TitusTroy:

hope us NY'ers don't get an increase...we always get the best rates right?

I'm pretty sure this letter is directed at NYers (and the areas close by that are in the "cheaper" equipment rate area), as aren't the HD STBs $9.99 everywhere except for NY?

just lou

join:2008-05-16
Staten Island, NY

1 edit
reply to TitusTroy

I got the letter today in NY, raising the price to $6.99/$16.99. I called Verizon to air my displeasure since I just signed a new contract this month, and they gave me another $10 a month off my package for 1 year.

TitusTroy

New York, NY

$10 a month price increase??...ridiculous...hopefully the customer service reps can give me a deal as well...every time I call them a lot of them tell me I'm paying a really low price for my package- $104.99 pre-tax for Ultimate with 25/25

maybe they are trying to price-correct my great deal

shark2k

join:2008-06-01
West Orange, NJ

said by TitusTroy:

$10 a month price increase??...ridiculous...hopefully the customer service reps can give me a deal as well...every time I call them a lot of them tell me I'm paying a really low price for my package- $104.99 pre-tax for Ultimate with 25/25

maybe they are trying to price-correct my great deal

Where do you get a $10/month increase? The SD/HD STB is going up to $6.99 from $5.99/month and the DVR is going up to $16.99 from $15.99/month. That is a $1/month increase per device, still cheaper than all other FiOS markets.

-Shark2k

TitusTroy

New York, NY

OK...I thought the poster meant it was going up from 6.99 to 16.99...my bad

shark2k

join:2008-06-01
West Orange, NJ

said by TitusTroy:

OK...I thought the poster meant it was going up from 6.99 to 16.99...my bad

I figured that was what happened but wasn't 100% certain.

He was saying he got Verizon to reduce his bill $10/month after he called, so it totally negates the increase.

-Shark2k

TitusTroy

New York, NY

said by shark2k:

I figured that was what happened but wasn't 100% certain.

He was saying he got Verizon to reduce his bill $10/month after he called, so it totally negates the increase.

-Shark2k

either way I'm still going to call up CS even if the bill goes up $2...I just got FiOS in Sept 2011 so it's too soon for an increase

just lou

join:2008-05-16
Staten Island, NY

said by TitusTroy:

either way I'm still going to call up CS even if the bill goes up $2...I just got FiOS in Sept 2011 so it's too soon for an increase

If you call, bring up the fact that their new customers get free DVR's for life, yet they raise the price on longtime customers. As soon as I said that, she offered me a $10 per month "loyalty discount".

TitusTroy

New York, NY

said by just lou:

If you call, bring up the fact that their new customers get free DVR's for life, yet they raise the price on longtime customers. As soon as I said that, she offered me a $10 per month "loyalty discount"

if all else fails I'll threaten to switch back to RCN

willdogs2

@verizon.net

I wonder if we can break our current contract due to their change in terms?

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

said by willdogs2 :

No

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to willdogs2

said by willdogs2 :

Read your fine print. You'll find that only the package is subject to your contract terms. Equipment rentals, fees, surcharges, taxes, etc...are all considered to be an addition to the package. VZ can do as they please when it comes to rental fees, premium channel add-ons, and anything else that isn't included in your base package.

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
reply to PirateJim

Click for full size
downloadfios stb rates.pdf 298,673 bytes
Letter
Got my letter today, oh great

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

It doesn't mention anything about the multiroom DVR. I wonder if that's still $19.99?

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to PirateJim

I would not mind paying more if Verizon would use the money and clean up their web portal. It can do with some serious simplification and clear navigation menus. Also, after all these years and who knows how much executive bonuses, the wireless and home entertainment products still appear to be completely separate companies.

Letterman

@verizon.net
reply to UofMiamiGrad

I guess nobody at Verizon proofs their letters any more. "Montly" price?

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

said by Letterman :

Union doesn't allow spell checker in their contract...

JD

@verizon.net

said by bohratom:

said by Letterman :

Union doesn't allow spell checker in their contract...

More like it wasn't specified, therefore doesn't have to be done.

Kind of like the difference between Craftsman and Tradesman.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

said by JD :

More like it wasn't specified, therefore doesn't have to be done.

Kind of like the difference between Craftsman and Tradesman.

No. Like the difference between Management and Labor.

Labor can string fiber and hook it up pretty well. Management is responsible for billing and spelling errors.

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to PirateJim

This rate increase, while minor, does have me taking another look at getting a PC-based CableCARD tuner setup going, and using my Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender.

A $14/mo savings would not be insignificant.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

said by UnnDunn:

This rate increase, while minor, does have me taking another look at getting a PC-based CableCARD tuner setup going,

Just keep in mind the power usage of any pc based option u decide. Energy costs for the 24 hour PC option could easily out run the fios price increase.

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

My PC would be in S3 sleep most of the time. Windows Media Center will wake it up when it's time to record something, or when I'm watching something.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to PirateJim

Are cable card rates staying the same? I'm down to three cable cards now. Back in 2007 and 2008 I had eight.
And once I get my Second TiVo Elite I will get my cable cards down to two. Which is still $8 a month, so i'm hoping they don't increase them again.
Back when I had eight they were $3 each.