uniqs
share rss forum feed

matcarl
Premium
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY
reply to UofMiamiGrad

Re: STB rates going up

It doesn't mention anything about the multiroom DVR. I wonder if that's still $19.99?

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to PirateJim
I would not mind paying more if Verizon would use the money and clean up their web portal. It can do with some serious simplification and clear navigation menus. Also, after all these years and who knows how much executive bonuses, the wireless and home entertainment products still appear to be completely separate companies.

Letterman

@verizon.net
reply to UofMiamiGrad
I guess nobody at Verizon proofs their letters any more. "Montly" price?

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
said by Letterman :

Union doesn't allow spell checker in their contract...

JD

@verizon.net
said by bohratom:

said by Letterman :

Union doesn't allow spell checker in their contract...

More like it wasn't specified, therefore doesn't have to be done.

Kind of like the difference between Craftsman and Tradesman.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
said by JD :

More like it wasn't specified, therefore doesn't have to be done.

Kind of like the difference between Craftsman and Tradesman.

No. Like the difference between Management and Labor.

Labor can string fiber and hook it up pretty well. Management is responsible for billing and spelling errors.

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY
reply to PirateJim
This rate increase, while minor, does have me taking another look at getting a PC-based CableCARD tuner setup going, and using my Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender.

A $14/mo savings would not be insignificant.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ
said by UnnDunn:

This rate increase, while minor, does have me taking another look at getting a PC-based CableCARD tuner setup going,

Just keep in mind the power usage of any pc based option u decide. Energy costs for the 24 hour PC option could easily out run the fios price increase.

UnnDunn
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
My PC would be in S3 sleep most of the time. Windows Media Center will wake it up when it's time to record something, or when I'm watching something.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to PirateJim
Are cable card rates staying the same? I'm down to three cable cards now. Back in 2007 and 2008 I had eight.
And once I get my Second TiVo Elite I will get my cable cards down to two. Which is still $8 a month, so i'm hoping they don't increase them again.
Back when I had eight they were $3 each.

JAH_PGH

join:2009-09-28
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to PirateJim
and Tivo just lowered all their prices. Dunno if it would be cost effective to ditch the Vz DVR, pay for a cable card, pay Tivo's fees (which have been lowered $5+ a month also) and keep the 2nd Vz cablebox (would tivo even work through the 2nd box?)

Man, I just made more questions for myself...

bohratom

Red Bank NJ
said by JAH_PGH:

and Tivo just lowered all their prices.

Better read that again. They raised the cost for the low end Premier by $50 dollars and then cut the monthly rate by $5. Basically for the first year you end up paying the same.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
said by bohratom:

They raised the cost for the low end Premier by $50 dollars

That's because the low end Premier has been upgraded to a 500GB drive instead of the previous 320GB.

said by UnnDunn:

This rate increase, while minor, does have me taking another look at getting a PC-based CableCARD tuner setup going, and using my Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender.

Especially when Ceton's "Q" and Echo STBs come out. Having a standalone energy efficient STB with 6 tuners and a single $4/mo CableCARD fee from Verizon would cut down monthly equipment fees by a ton. And if VOD is a must, when Verizon rolls out VOD through the Xbox 360 - which is compatible with the "Q" as an extender - you've got a real STB replacement without losing any core functionality with the exception of VZ's IMG features & widgets (Digital Voice, Home Automation, Caller ID on TV, Remote DVR, Traffic & Weather, etc.).

bohratom

Red Bank NJ
said by Zero:

That's because the low end Premier has been upgraded to a 500GB drive instead of the previous 320GB.

Not to belittle the point but the price difference for those drives is around $10.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to PirateJim
letter came today

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
reply to bohratom
said by bohratom:

said by Zero:

Not to belittle the point but the price difference for those drives is around $10.

No different than something like an iPAD being $100 extra for only 16GB or 32GB extra of memory. Prices online for the memory is only a few dollars as well. This has always been the case with electronics. It is nothing new.

UnnDunn
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Zero
Those new Ceton STBs literally have me salivating. They are everything I want in an STB.

coppertubing

join:2008-03-28
Chester Springs, PA
reply to Zero
said by Zero See ProfileEspecially when Ceton's "Q" and Echo STBs come out. Having a standalone energy efficient STB with 6 tuners and a single $4/mo CableCARD fee from Verizon would cut down monthly equipment fees by a ton. And if VOD is a must, when Verizon rolls out VOD through the Xbox 360 - which is compatible with the "Q" as an extender - you've got a real STB replacement without losing any core functionality with the exception of VZ's IMG features & widgets (Digital Voice, Home Automation, Caller ID on TV, Remote DVR, Traffic & Weather, etc.).
[/BQUOTE :

My HTPC with one HDHomerun Prime + Cablecard and one HDHomerun Dual for OTA gives me 5 tuners, which I can share with other HTPCs. I can leave it running 24/7 since the Intel i3-2100T uses just 7 watts at idle. With Windows Media Center, I have a nice EPG and user interface for all TV, movies and music, remote DVR control using my smartphone, caller ID, weather, traffic, etc. For VOD, I have Hulu. $500 for the box, $4 for the cablecard, no other monthly fees.

shark2k

join:2008-06-01
West Orange, NJ
reply to UnnDunn
said by UnnDunn:

Those new Ceton STBs literally have me salivating. They are everything I want in an STB.

Yeah, if only they get more information out about them soon.

-Shark2k

bohratom

Red Bank NJ

4 edits
reply to UnnDunn
said by UnnDunn:

No monthly fee other then the monthly cable card will put alot of pressure on TIVO's business model. Will be interesting to see what the initial pricing will be. My guess it will fall right between the Tivo premier elite $399 and the lifetime-tivo plan of $899(including elite) so Ill venture around $599-$699.

If they get enough buyers it could force TIVO to rethink their monthly fees.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
said by bohratom:

No monthly fee other then the monthly cable card will put alot of pressure on TIVO's business model. Will be interesting to see what the initial pricing will be. My guess it will fall right between the Tivo premier elite $399 and the lifetime-tivo plan of $899(including elite) so Ill venture around $599-$699.

More 3rd party STB choices forcing innovation and aggressive pricing is a win-win for consumers and competition at its best.

I hope it does have that kind of impact on the market. Unfortunately, I forsee it remaining a niche product like their CableCARD tuners unless Ceton can get their name out there and market it on par with or better than TiVo. But a niche product is better than no product!

UnnDunn
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to bohratom
said by bohratom:

If Arris couldn't do it with the Moxi, I doubt Ceton will be able to do it with the Q.

Joey D

@verizon.net
I think Arris didn't want the problems dealing directly with the public. Hardware is good, but now only available through the cable co. because that's who they picked as a vendor.

It's a shame. Hardware is good, satisfies my needs. It was 500GB plus external eSATA long before VZ stepped up to the plate. Never a problem with guide data. Another 3 months and it's paid for compared to a VZ HDDVR and slightly longer compared to TiVo plans available at that time.

My only mistake was not getting the Moxi-Mate for second room playback. Now it's not available.

JAH_PGH

Pittsburgh, PA
reply to bohratom
said by bohratom:

said by JAH_PGH:

and Tivo just lowered all their prices.

Better read that again. They raised the cost for the low end Premier by $50 dollars and then cut the monthly rate by $5. Basically for the first year you end up paying the same.

Yeah, I was only considering the Premiere XL at a minimum.
I also checked my Vz bill and my $15.99 credit expired yesterday. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but for me to keep the VZ MRDVR and a separate set top box, I'll be paying roughly $45 a month after the increase.
To go with Tivo, one cable card (which I've been assured is capable of recording as many shows as the Tivo allows) is $3.99, a second Vz STB ($9.99) and Tivo service of $14.99, I'll be paying a lot less per month. (I'm not calculating the cost of the Tivo box)

JAH

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
Think you are wrong with your math (unless I am missing a box somewhere in there)

Vz MR DVR = $19.99
Vz STB = $9.99
Multi-room bundle = $1.50

Total = $28.48

JAH_PGH

Pittsburgh, PA
My bill reads:
Multi-Room DVR package - 2 room, includes
HD Set Top Box Rental
Multi-Room DVR - High Definition
$27.99 a month.
Under specials and promotions, I have a 12 month DVR credit of $15.99 which expired on 3/27
I dunno - maybe I'll forget about Tivo and just call VZ to beat them up on price. I forgot that the Tivo needs internet connection and you can't use it as a MRDVR...

kes601

Virginia Beach, VA
You are receiving a $16 credit that is applies to the $27.99 monthly rental (unless you have a 2nd DVR that the $16 is going toward).

JAH_PGH

Pittsburgh, PA
said by kes601:

You are receiving a $16 credit that is applies to the $27.99 monthly rental (unless you have a 2nd DVR that the $16 is going toward).

Much to my chagrin, it's apparent that my math skills are lacking!
Thanks for helping to clear this up for me!

JAH

kes601

Virginia Beach, VA
No problem. I keep getting confused when people (not you) are saying how Tivo would save people money on a monthly rate.

$14.99/mo for Tivo service + $3.99 for a Cablecard = more than the $16.99 DVR rental.

Granted, the experience might be better (I've never used a Tivo), but I don't see any monthly savings.

aaronwt
Premium
Woodbridge, VA
said by kes601:

No problem. I keep getting confused when people (not you) are saying how Tivo would save people money on a monthly rate.

$14.99/mo for Tivo service + $3.99 for a Cablecard = more than the $16.99 DVR rental.

Granted, the experience might be better (I've never used a Tivo), but I don't see any monthly savings.

You need to get lifetime service. Then there is also a re-sale component since lifetime TiVos have an excellent re-sale value. Whenever new model TiVos get released, I sell my existing lifetime boxes to cover most, if not all of the cost of the new Lifetime TiVos. (for instance when the four tuner TiVo Elite was launched in October, I sold two of my two tuner Lifetime Premieres, which more than covered the cost of my Lifetime Elite with an extended warranty.)(I will get another Elite next month and do the same thing, sell two more of my two tuner lifetime Premiere boxes and it will more than cover the cost of the Lifetime Elite)

And the cost is also spread out over time. So in my situation I've had FiOS since Summer 2007. If I had been paying for FiOS DVRs fees all this time, I would still not own any of the boxes. But by having the TiVos I've paid much less over this time period while also using a much better product.