Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely to IanR

Premium Member

to IanR

Re: STB rates going up

"We are working right now to build a more exciting product..."

I'm excited enough with the current product. Keep the prices low for now and charge me appropriately when you have the great new stuff ready.
IanR
join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

3 edits

IanR

Yup,

The better way is to buy a SiliconDust PrimeHD ($200.00) and slide a relatively inexpensive (low monthly fee) multistream CableCard into it. Attach this by ethernet connection to your home router. Then download the FREE full WindowsMediaCenter on your desktop and away you go...

This gives you the ability to record 3 channels at the same time and play back video, or watch live tv via that same MS XBox. ALL the channels you pay for are then available.

It beats the pants off paying a monthly large fee for a DVR. I put in an extra HD in my desktop for around $100 for 2TBs of room.
Note the electronic guide in WMC is free.

For those with multiple Tvs who have a home network in place...Just buy a few more XBox's (used) very inexpensively and they will feed an additional TV each. i.e. they will get those same 3 channels and recorded programs.

I am not anti Verizon. They provide a splendid service. But just like every provider one can ring up an enormous monthly tab for overmuch hardware. There are simpler solutions and Verizon made the leap half way with their own XBox app and are to be applauded for that. But they could reduce their need to service and maintain hardware if they merely provided a minor piece of hardware such as the PrimeHD. Surely leasing multiple CableBoxes isn't an additional profit center for them?

Ooops sorry Steely I was replying to MuDvAyNe