spc
Search similar:

uniqs

hazypartan
@cox.net

hazypartan

Anon

Second wired access point

Hi there I am coming from fios to a new area that only has cox and I will be staying with some family. They have the modem/router setup downstairs and I will be running some fairly network hogging equipment upstairs and it is a old house and the wireless doesnt rtavel well through the brick and would like to have another access point upstairs. With fios I was able to use a NIM to bridge the internet from coax via moca to a ethernet line. I do have a extra moto surfboard avail but I cannot seem to find any info on this and was looking to not have to use a powerline adapter. Any info would be appreciated!

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

Can you run cat5/6 from their router to where you want yours? (328 feet max). If so, you could make that work as long as there is an open ethernet port on their router.

hazyspartan
@cox.net

hazyspartan

Anon

I could run an exterior line but this is just a temporary living situation and I was hoping for a plug and play remedy because I will only be here 2 months tops
signcarver
join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ

signcarver to hazypartan

to hazypartan
You mentioned using MOCA so I assume there is coax to where you want to go. In this case if you can still run a moca bridge, you would just need 2 of them, one downstairs and one upstairs. However since its an older house there is a chance the wiring is too old to support it properly.

Since you mentioned the Surfboard assuming it is a model still on the approved list I believe you can get your own internet account (roommate account). This may benefit both of you since they may be subscribed to a tier that is below your expectations and have an unreasonably low data cap. Again, in an older house the existing coax may not be up to supporting the 2nd modem but more than likely is. I would temporarily try the existing modem upstairs to check its signals.

I've been patiently waiting for moca 2.0 bridges to emerge prior to purchasing more equipment but I would also be interested in getting the Cisco Model DPC3827 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Residential Gateway with MoCA as it would be perfect for one of my properties (even though it is just moca 1.1) but since its not on the approved list I don't think cox will provision it even if I were to find one.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to hazypartan

to hazypartan
Cable modems are one per account so adding another one wouldn't solve your issue unless you wanted to establish a roomate account. Beyond that your next best bet is some sort of Ethernet solution as suggested.