All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
scottp99
join:2010-12-11

1 edit

scottp99

[WIN7] Renaming file extensions all at once inside a folder?

I have a folder called Icons located in the C drive and they all have the .ICO extension instead of PNG.

I want these icons to be imported to Google Earth but GE only accepts image files rather than .ICO files if you want to add custom icons which I want to do from that folder.

Is there a command to this in Windows 7 in were I would only rename the file extensions from ICO to PNG only insdie of that Icons folder? I have many of them so doing it can take up an hour or so.

Please post an example on how rename ALL file extenstions within a folder all at once using a Batch script or command.

Basically my Icons folder is in the C drive and I wish someone can post a command of renaming the files inside to .PNG file extenstions and NOT the whole file itself. Only the file extension.

Thx.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

open a command prompt
type:
cd c:\icons
ren *.ico *.png

Anony Mous
@verizon.net

Anony Mous to scottp99

Anon

to scottp99
said by scottp99:

I have a folder called Icons located in the C drive and they all have the .ICO extension instead of PNG.

I want these icons to be imported to Google Earth but GE only accepts image files rather than .ICO files if you want to add custom icons which I want to do from that folder.

Is there a command to this in Windows 7 in were I would only rename the file extensions from ICO to PNG only insdie of that Icons folder? I have many of them so doing it can take up an hour or so.

Please post an example on how rename ALL file extenstions within a folder all at once using a Batch script or command.

Basically my Icons folder is in the C drive and I wish someone can post a command of renaming the files inside to .PNG file extenstions and NOT the whole file itself. Only the file extension.

Thx.

Open the command prompt:

cd c:\icons
c:\icons\ren *.ICO *.PNG
scottp99
join:2010-12-11

scottp99

What if I have many subfolders inside that Icons main folder? Then is it possible to rename all the ICO files to JPG files all at once for the subfolders as well? Here how it looks like.

I hope there is a way to prevent me from CD-ing in each folder and then do REN for each. I hope thats not the case.

C:\Icons (with more folders inside of this folder)

FOLDER1 (with ICO files)
FOLDER2 (with ICO files)
FOLDER3 (with ICO files)
FOLDER4 (with ICO files)
and so on...

I dont know why Google Earth does not also accept .ICO files...
It would be really nice.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to scottp99

MVM

to scottp99
I think you could use something like ZTree. You would tag the files in the directories, then do the rename.

»www.ztree.com/

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to scottp99

Premium Member

to scottp99
check out the forfiles command (forfiles /?)

something like this should work

forfiles /S /M *.ICO /C "cmd /c ren @file *.PNG"

Anony Mous
@verizon.net

Anony Mous to scottp99

Anon

to scottp99
I like Lupas Rename 2000 for Windows. It can be a portable app. Just input in the file filter *.ICO and make sure you select "Recursive Mode." Select the "Ext" tab, check "Replace with the text," input PNG, select files one by one or CTRL+A to select all.

Has a make .BAT and undo functions as well.