how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

schnappz

@anonymouse.org

AV-Test.org

»www.av-test.org/tests/testberich···eb-2012/

ESET is down at the bottom of the pile but always it is top winning VB100 every time. It may be Jet Black post was not joking about VB tests suspicions.

hollycrawp

@dtra.mil

Holly crap, ESET is one of the worst ones...and the performance saved by it is nothing to write home about.

Should have not renewed my lic.

Triple Helix
Go Blue Jays Go
Premium
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to schnappz

And I'm happy that I use Webroot SecureAnywhere they have come along way since they acquired Prevx in Nov 2010!

TH

--
Triple Helix - VIP Member Of ASAP - (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals™)
Official Webroot SecureAnywhere (Prevx) Support Forum Helper!
(H59 Clan)
Software Updates Look Here! Calendar of Updates

fphall
The Guardian
Premium
join:2003-11-01
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

+1 on Webroot SecureAnywhere!

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to hollycrawp

said by hollycrawp :

Holly crap, ESET is one of the worst ones...and the performance saved by it is nothing to write home about.

Wow, what happened to ESET?
--
Ant @ »antfarm.ma.cx and »aqfl.net. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use the forum! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer

gugarci
Premium
join:2004-02-25
Lyndhurst, NJ
reply to schnappz

ESET never does well in their tests, but they perform much better in the AV comparatives reviews. In the AV comparatives reviews they usually always score an advance plus rating.

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21

2 recommendations

reply to antdude

said by antdude:

said by hollycrawp :

This is not surprising to me..at one time it rocked
not anymore
--
ãrê ¥Øu êxpêriêncêD
Microsoft® MVP Consumer Security
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."
9/11/01 Never Forget
(H59 Clan)

Triple Helix
Go Blue Jays Go
Premium
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 recommendation

said by hayc59:

said by antdude:

said by hollycrawp :

not anymore

I agree since v2 they started going down hill to bad really!

TH
--
Triple Helix - VIP Member Of ASAP - (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals™)
Official Webroot SecureAnywhere (Prevx) Support Forum Helper!
(H59 Clan)
Software Updates Look Here! Calendar of Updates

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

said by Triple Helix:

I agree since v2 they started going down hill to bad really!

TH

Oh well, everyone has high and low points.

redwolfe_98
Premium
join:2001-06-11
kudos:1
reply to schnappz

personally, at this point, i don't think any of the av vendors are doing a very good job.. maybe the problem is that it is just impossible for them to keep up with all of the new variants of malware that come out every day..

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to hayc59

said by hayc59:

said by antdude:

said by hollycrawp :

not anymore

IMHO, Eset has worked as well as anything else. Of course I am not a high risk user but have never been infected.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to gugarci

said by gugarci:

ESET never does well in their tests, but they perform much better in the AV comparatives reviews. In the AV comparatives reviews they usually always score an advance plus rating.

Yep and there is a reason for why they don't perform well on AV-Test but do very well on other tests. You might go to Wilders and search the Eset forum back 6-7 years ago for why. Don't though ask Anton (Eset CEO) or Andreas Marx (A-V Test CEO) as that will result in lots of screaming and yelling and finger pointing and accusations.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Brandeis82

@ccc.de

AV-Test reports of ESET will be always tainted and prejudiced. ESET will never do well in AV-Test because Andreas Marx will never forgive ESET's attack dog Rodzilla for proving beyond any doubt that he lied and forged test logs to hide his monumental BAT Virus testing mistake. It is too bad ESET chose to suck up to Andreas Marx by deleting most of the posts on Wilders Security because only those like you who were there at the time will ever know the truth.

PrivacyExprt

join:2010-09-29
Longwood, FL
reply to schnappz

I would not pay much attention these tests to be honest, most don't seem to reflect real world threats. If you carefully monitor some of the multiengine test sites and results, you will find some interesting things regarding what detects various threats and what doesn't.

ESET has lost some talent, i quit using them a few years ago. Switched to Avira, then noticed Avira missing quite a lot lately. These days I run Emsisoft Anti-Malware/AV, combined with a cloud based 'second chance' solution.

Registered

@31.200.144.x

What multiengine test sites? Websites like VirusTotal?

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA

1 recommendation

reply to redwolfe_98

said by redwolfe_98:

personally, at this point, i don't think any of the av vendors are doing a very good job.. maybe the problem is that it is just impossible for them to keep up with all of the new variants of malware that come out every day..

I tend to agree with this. In about 2 years and using two different AV's over that time on two OS's, I've had I think 2 alerts from an AV.

If I was writing malware ya think I wouldn't run it past Jotti or VT before releasing it? Derrrrp.

IMHO, If you use limited accounts, keep things updated, have .JS & Plugins disabled globally except for sites you trust, protect and block from the perimeter with a tight router/fw config, use a software firewall w/ behavior and app filtering, resident anti-malware software and things like SWB/Spybot/HOSTS/ABP/NoScript blocking...then an AV is nearly a waste of resources.

That said, I do still use Avast7. But, it's mainly to scan downloads and add a layer of defense. It's not the front line of defense, it is the last line of defense.

--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to schnappz

Comparing one AV test house's results for various AVs at a specific point in time strikes me a lot like comparing an auto magazine's gas mileage tests of various model cars at a specific point in time. Whatever the ranking today following a particular test, the "top dog" will probably be elsewhere on the list after their next test or after using somebody else's test... or the models being tested will be changed/updated almost as soon as the test results are published so they'll be only marginally applicable. Since few AVs do particularly well on zero-day threats, what really matters most to me is their "test" performance over a long timespan against a variety of tests from a number of testers... a factor that will probably not vary substantively with version updates until the basic AV engine is redesigned. If an AV performs in the top handful of candidates in a number of different testing houses' results over a several-year span of time, that's a reasonable indicator that AV maker is fairly competent at what they do, compared with AV brands that consistently rank lower. If the trend of that long-term performance indicates stability or improvement, that's a good indicator also.

I realize there are arguments that an AV security layer will always lag the real world with regard to late-breaking threats... but IMO AVs still remain a viable protection layer for many users against a lot of threats that, while not zero-day, are extant in the wild and will remain so for quite some time. For some users, a HIPS scheme may work better than AV. But for others, the encumbrances of a HIPS are inconvenient or intolerable. And so on. Some folks prefer raincoats, others prefer umbrellas, and perhaps still others choose to never go out in the rain... one could fruitlessly argue forever about which approach is more effective, since so much depends on the needs, convenience, and perspectives of each user.

Personally, I think (much like caffeinator See Profile ) that one's safe-hex settings and browsing habits will make a much greater difference in avoiding infection than AV flavor (if any) if one is using a reasonably modern browser, OS, router, and some decent anti-malware tools. Hence I never get worked up over the latest particular AV test result/ranking... which is probably not what either the AV makers or the AV testing houses want me to believe, since they perennially use each round of rankings to sell more of their products or services.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

PrivacyExprt

Longwood, FL
reply to Registered

»www.virscan.org/

Will show you who is getting the really nasty stuff out there. If you monitor it over the long term, you will discover what I did. Ikarus picks up a whole lot of stuff other products miss, and when combined with Emsisoft's Antimalware database, it's fantastic. (emsisoft uses both Ikarus+A2 engines)

For example;

»r.virscan.org/6c773fb7e8ae88e82c···28c6f159

Thats pretty common, and not comforting when only one product is picking up stuff a significant portion of the time with real-world threats on Virscan.

PrivacyExprt

Longwood, FL
reply to Registered

ignore, forum double posted, sorry.

Expand your moderator at work

Registered

@31.200.144.x
reply to PrivacyExprt

Re: AV-Test.org

Those engine versions on VirSCAN.org look like they could be very outdated compared to the current home products.

Jet Black

@anonymouse.org
reply to schnappz

>It may be Jet Black post was not joking about VB tests suspicions.

I was not joking. Why do you think Eset falls close to the bottom rung of the ladder in all AV tests except Virus Bulletin while other powerful AV brands are always high up the ladder in all other tests but always miss many samples in Virus Bulletin? Do you think it might be because the other tests provide a level playing field?

windaz

join:2010-09-23
reply to PrivacyExprt

Probably relevant for VirSCAN.org: AV Comparative Analyses, Marketing, and VirusTotal: A Bad Combination

Certainly, VirSCAN.org cannot account for IPS, behaviour blockers, etc.

windaz

reply to PrivacyExprt

DownTheShore
Mr. Putin, meet SEAL Team 6
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
reply to schnappz

Why are they using WinXP as their platform?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

Perhaps because it's still got the largest market share of operating systems, and if you choose one OS for cost reasons, that would be the one? »www.netmarketshare.com/operating···qprid=10
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

windaz

1 recommendation

reply to DownTheShore

They use Vista and 7 too depending on the report »www.av-test.org/en/tests/test-reports/

PrivacyExprt

Longwood, FL
reply to windaz

said by windaz:

Probably relevant for VirSCAN.org: AV Comparative Analyses, Marketing, and VirusTotal: A Bad Combination

Certainly, VirSCAN.org cannot account for IPS, behaviour blockers, etc.

True, which means it doesn't account for Mamutu that comes with Emsisoft, and is really only factoring the Ikarus part of that package. A2 itself scores quite well alone.

Anonymiss_CA

@anonymouse.org
reply to schnappz

Where is the value in ESET?

ESET boasts that it was ranked #1 in Usability on »www.av-test.org/en/tests/test-re···ec-2011/ and »www.av-test.org/en/tests/test-re···eb-2012/, but what is being ranked #1 in Usability worth?

Detection, Protection and Disinfection are the most important criteria in an anti-malware program. Usability is the last and least consideration.

ESET's extremely poor performance in those tests, in the very important areas of Protection and Repair, means it is a waste of money.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Repair is irrelevant if you have a fine real time scanner and a responsible user. You won't get infected. The LAST consideration for me is how good the AV is at repair. I look for two things: the best real time scanner and the best usability. The latter will vary from user to user. I want high configurability (no Norton for this reason, no Microsoft AV for the same reason), low drain on my computer.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson