Tomek
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tomek to S_engineer

Premium Member

to S_engineer

Re: "Wall Street punished us for investing in FIOS."

Companies are driven by profit. Investors want their low-tax income and care less.
I remember when verizon was defending FIOS push.
And now I can actually see the point. With the advent of mobile devices people are no longer connected at home.

Jeff
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium Member
join:2002-12-24
GMT -5

Jeff

Premium Member

said by Tomek:

Companies are driven by profit. Investors want their low-tax income and care less.
And now I can actually see the point. With the advent of mobile devices people are no longer connected at home.

We'll we're connected everywhere now, but if you asked me "Do you cancel your Fios or do you cancel your cell phone", I'm cancelling my cell phone. High speed internet connectivity in the home is extremely important to me.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

2 recommendations

itguy05 to Tomek

to Tomek
said by Tomek:

And that's why they should be OK with FIOS. We've been looking at houses lately as we just sold ours. In those houses that had FIOS available every one of them had a FIOS box on the wall. Those that were not vacant many were also FIOS TV subscribers as well.

I know in our neighborhood (got FIOS in 2008) I'm seeing more and more FIOS Boxes show up on houses. In the house we just bought you can get FIOS and I'm thrilled. No Comcast (I would have dealt with them) and hopefully I can just take my FIOS boxes with me.

It is a great product and much better than Comcast. Shame they won't build it out more. As a Verizon shareholder I'd like to see them in a better long term position than short term.
quote:

Really? People need good connections at home. I know I work from home, have an online bakup, VOIP, and an Apple TV. I love our 20/15 FIOS connection with no caps. I also love my data on the go but I need a good connection at home. I don't know anyone that has given up their high speed internet for the stuff on their phone. And with overages and limits I don't see that happening any time soon either.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

said by itguy05:

Really? People need good connections at home. I know I work from home, have an online bakup, VOIP, and an Apple TV. I love our 20/15 FIOS connection with no caps. I also love my data on the go but I need a good connection at home. I don't know anyone that has given up their high speed internet for the stuff on their phone. And with overages and limits I don't see that happening any time soon either.

Seconded. I hate remoting onto people's computers when they're working from home while I'm trying to help them perform a multi-Gigabyte software install and it takes an hour to download. I'm logged into some key things with my own admin credentials so obviously they cannot use the computer for as long as I'm in and working (this is typically when the automated, user-friendly installs don't work which does happen). I love it when individuals have decent connections as it means I'm not taking their computer away from them for an hour. Fast connections cut that stuff down to 5-10 minutes.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00 to Tomek

to Tomek

That wasn't what Verizon was being beaten up over at the time. Plus, think it could be a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy? Poor broadband at home leads to increased reliance on mobile networks?
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Smith6612

to Smith6612

said by Smith6612:

Seconded. I hate remoting onto people's computers when they're working from home while I'm trying to help them perform a multi-Gigabyte software install and it takes an hour to download. I'm logged into some key things with my own admin credentials so obviously they cannot use the computer for as long as I'm in and working (this is typically when the automated, user-friendly installs don't work which does happen). I love it when individuals have decent connections as it means I'm not taking their computer away from them for an hour. Fast connections cut that stuff down to 5-10 minutes.

Ssshhh. You're supposed to be one of those sheep that hands over their wallet and likes shitty slow service with really low caps and defends all the fees and high prices.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

But I'm not unfortunately . If I come across a capped connection I run it right to the point where the meter might think I've gone over and then shut the connection down. Aka, when I was stuck using a 3G connection with a 3GB cap. Blew through the cap in a few hours of normal usage.

Slow connections? I just keep them maxed until I get what I need done.
tdar
join:2004-04-05
Alpharetta, GA

2 edits

1 recommendation

tdar to Jeff

to Jeff
said by Jeff:

said by Tomek:

We'll we're connected everywhere now, but if you asked me "Do you cancel your Fios or do you cancel your cell phone", I'm cancelling my cell phone. High speed internet connectivity in the home is extremely important to me.

Your comment shows just how out of touch Wall Street is. It's clear that you are willing to pay for both your Verizon Cell Phone AND your Verizon FIOS. Only a idiot or a Wall Streeter (sorry for the redundancy) would set up a situation were they receive one recurring revenue stream where they could have TWO.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to Tomek

to Tomek
Sorry, but this seems completely off base, with incredibly stringent wireless teirs home broadband is more important that it was when smartphones came out, your never going to sit around and surf youtube and watch netflix regularly over a LTE connection unless the pricing changes drastically, even our tablets users have shown a clear preference for wifi only devices because cellular data is too expensive.

Not to mention simply physics, their will always be more bandwidth at cheaper prices over wired connections, it's simply a extremely less finite resource than wireless spectrum.

Stopping the FIOS rollout was about one thing short term investor thinking, which is why america is falling behind, short term quick buck thinking.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Tomek

MVM

to Tomek
said by Tomek:

Of course but if they do not strike the correct balance between short term profits and long term investment they fade away.

Companies are increasing walking away from the task of increasing long term share holder value in favor of short term profitability.

/tom
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Unfortunately, too many companies have the view today that long term investment is unnecessary, exponential growth is where the profits are.