Premium
join:2002-11-17
Schaumburg, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to gdm

Re: Cars

said by gdm:

Actually the Fusion doesn't get as high MPG as the Cruze. The I4S gets 34, the I4SE gets 33 well they are rated that way. I talked to some friends that have the SE and they told me the best they've gotten is 35 high way driving sometimes 36 depending on speed.

I know the Fusion doesn't get the same MPG as the Cruze. I was talking about the Focus. It is the same class as the Cruze and has better MPG and is cheaper.
--
In need of a Vegas vacation.

gdm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL
kudos:3
Missed that. I tried a focus that someone has and it wasn't as comfortable and the pickup wasn't the same as the Cruze ECO. With what I wanted they actually priced out abut the same.

The non Cruze ECO was the same as the Focus. The Cruze ECO you just feel no difference when changing gears and the RPMs don't get as high because of the battery. For me and highway driving it felt better. I like what Ford has with the Sync and the interiors depending on the model are a bit better then Chevy.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to gdm
I'm wondering, was this an emergency replacement? I'm wondering why you seemed to rush into buying a new car. Given how VERY competitive the compact class is recently, you really need to spend some time checking out the various models, and their variations.

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
I've been looking for weeks, talking to various people I know and researching. My plan was to buy this week so it wasn't rushed by any means. It came down to mpg, comfort for being in the car at least two hours a day and some pickup for highway driving.

It averaged 38 for the roundtrip and 40 on the highway.

scooby
Premium
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:1
Does anyone know much about the Suzuki Kizashi or the Hyundai Genesis Coupe? I never thought I would hear myself ever asking about a Suzuki or Hyundai car. How things change!

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
The Genesis is 20/31 or 18/28 depending on model. The Hyundai's were nice I tested. The Kizashi varies 20 to 23 city and 28 to 31 depending on model. My Chevy dealer has Suzuki's as well and they looked nice.

sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA
reply to scooby
said by scooby:

Does anyone know much about the Suzuki Kizashi or the Hyundai Genesis Coupe? I never thought I would hear myself ever asking about a Suzuki or Hyundai car. How things change!

The Genesis is so freaking awesome.

My cousin has the coupe version. It has an extremely tiny trunk and back seat. So it won't fit more than 3 people total, comfortably. It's an older model and I believe they simplified the dash in the later years (leather comes standard now!). It used to be complex looking with dozens of buttons everywhere.

The drive is great. He has the 2.0 turbo version and it's fast. It's only 4 cylinder, but man that thing can gun it.

I barrowed it for a week and you would not believe the comments I would get. I would just be in a parking lot getting out and someone would come over to tell me how cool they think it looks and if I liked it? Never had that happen to me before owning a car.

If my family needed a full size luxury sedan, I would def. have the Genesis on that list. You're right, how far Hyundai has come... I would recommend either the Sedan or Coupe depending on your needs.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to gdm
I hope you have a fire extinguisher!

»content.usatoday.com/communities ··· kztmibQM

Feds probes fires in Chevy Cruze, Jeep Wrangler

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
2011, not 2012

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
reply to gdm

Update

Just thought I would post an update. Cruze has been really great so far and getting better mileage than expected. Here is a picture of my fill up yesterday.

Took 13.648 gallons so so 42.5mpg vs. the car saying 42.8. I was stuck in construction for a few days so I think I can get over 43mpg and 600 miles on a single tank.

Last fuelup

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
We testdrove a cruze when they first came out. The one we were looking at was fairly cheap with add ons like sound systems, etc for around 17k. I wasn't that much of a fan off acceleration but we did have a full load in it when test driving so thats probably why.

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
The non eco I test drive had less pickup than the eco that was one if the reasons I got it.

scooby
Premium
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL
kudos:1
gdm, how hard are you on your cruze? What kind of driver would you consider yourself? Sunday driver (light foot), drive it like its stolen, or in-between?

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Well I've changed my habits from aggressive / lead foot. I used to do 75-80 on the highway & accelerated from stop. Which gave me about 38 mpg.

Now I roll and slow accelerate from a stop and do between 65-70ish.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5
said by gdm:

Well I've changed my habits from aggressive / lead foot. I used to do 75-80 on the highway & accelerated from stop. Which gave me about 38 mpg.

Now I roll and slow accelerate from a stop and do between 65-70ish.

Yeah driving my Insight changed how I drove a lot too. Funny how a real time gas usage display can convince you that you don't have to be the first to the next red light.
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Very true. Construction is still killing me in certain areas. Don't think I'll get 600 miles this fill up.

netsurfer1

join:2012-04-13
Atlanta, GA
reply to gdm

Re: Cars

Honda Civic is the best choice for me. I have a civic for a while now and I can say that have saved a lot fuel in this car. It is very reliable and also an environmental friendly. I use this everyday to go to work.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to gdm

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to gdm
Yet another Cruze recall over engine fires:
»hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ··· =DEFAULT

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Supposedly another article said it was only cars manufactured out of the OH plant that is the cause for this one. I haven't looked to see if this mine or not.

I'm at 5500 miles and nothing *knock on wood* has gone wrong. I did 607 miles my last fill up off one tank of gas.