how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

techiejunkie

join:2012-03-23
Edmonton, AB

[AB] Edmonton North BB50/100 really slow

So I have been using the Shaw BB50 about 7 months now. I originally signed up for BB100 but I was only getting about 25mb down and 2.5mb up. Shaw told me that they are doing some network upgrades and recommend me to use BB50 for meantime. I have been using BB50 but I have been still getting ridiculous speed of between 18mb-28mb down and 2.0-2.8mb up. I called Shaw few times and they sent me their Sr. Technicians couple of times and performed their routine test. Every time they confirm that there is no issue on my network or equipment and they said there would be an issue with line coming in. They said they would do the repair work outside but I have not seen any improvement. Last tech who came to my house called and let me know that he was told that their infrastructure is not quite ready to serve BB50/100 to my area which would come in shortly. This was about 3 monthly ago. Now I am getting very frustrated with the service, I really need help with this. If anyone from Shaw could confirm my area is not BB ready (post code: T5Y 0G6) and I should be switched to Extreme. Thanks in advance.
--
Techie Junkie Blog - www.techiejunkie.net

tablo

join:2011-06-30
Edmonton, AB

Do you have the SMC or Cisco modem?

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to techiejunkie

If Extreme is the fastest speeds your area can do, it sounds like they haven't put DOCSIS 3 hardware on your node.

Sounds strange because I thought Warp and Nitro were in most areas a long time ago.

Even without DOCSIS 3 CMTS hardware, a single channel (DOCSIS 2 and 1.1) should be able to get 38 mbps max, so not breaking 25 doesn't fit that thinking either.

Only thing that really fits is your modem had a config file set at 25 mbps download speed, would need their modem tools when it was happening (your account set to 100 or 50) to actually confirm that though.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

techiejunkie

Edmonton, AB
reply to tablo

I have a Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway

techiejunkie

Edmonton, AB
reply to kevinds

I am not sure if Extreme will be faster but with speed I am getting no reason to spend extra $$ if they can't provide the BB50/100.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to techiejunkie

I have no doubt your modem is DOCSIS 3,

I doubt their billing system would let them bill you for it without the correct modem.

I was meaning your area may not have DOCSIS 3 hardware on Shaw's side, and only using one channel...

Hopefully Sean will be able to help you out Monday.
Be sure to send him a PM with your account details.

-Posted from my phone.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to techiejunkie

Also, if your area can not support the speeds you were being billed for,

You shouldn't have too much of a problem getting credit.

I know you would rather have the speeds, than credit, but at least you won't feel as bad paying for what you have

-Posted from my phone.

techiejunkie

Edmonton, AB

Thank you for the advice.

techiejunkie

Edmonton, AB
reply to techiejunkie

ShawSean, would you be able to help me out with my issue?

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB

Best option is to PM Sean with your account # and such. He is a busy man, the easiest you can make it for him the better.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to techiejunkie

Got your pm , just need a few more details and we'll take a look into it further for you.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

techiejunkie

Edmonton, AB

I sent you another pm.
Thanks.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to techiejunkie

Replied, sorry for the delay.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB
reply to techiejunkie

It's merely a case of node congestion. The modem is probably channel bonding as it should, but the node can only put out so much bandwidth due to over-subscription. The same thing happens to me at the later hours of the evening. The only resolution for it is to wait for the DNU, but I heard that it was put on a hiatus.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 485M @ 580M : 8GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Anonymous posts are filtered.