spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Simmo8

@as13285.net

[Word] Word and Excel 2007 have taken over my 2000 files!!

When I bought my laptop a couple of years ago, it came with Office Home & Student 2007 on trial. I dont like it and prefer 2000 SR-1 Premium so loaded that on as well. After the trial period elapsed I thought I'd taken the 2007 version off using the revove/add programs function but it still kept rearing it's head from time to time. I then downloaded a program that enabled me to work with 2007 docs using the 2000 programs but with restricted functionality. However of late every time I go to open any word or excel doc (which were made and saved using 2000) either by using esktop icons or from email attachments, they all open up in the 2007 version. If I open them through documents they open up ok, it's only when I try to access them through desktop icons or email attachments. Help please someone-anyone?????

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
It sounds like when you did the uninstall of Office 2007, something did not get fully removed.

First, do you have the install media for Office 2000 SR-1 Premium? If you do, then I would suggest the following steps:

1) Go into add/remove programs and verify you have no versions of office installed, including Office 2000. If you find any, remove them.

2) Verify that all short cuts to office applications have been removed from your start menu, desktop, etc.

3) Verify that you no longer have a C:\Program Files\Office or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office folder. If you do, delete them.

4) Reboot

5) Re-install Office 2000 SR-1 Premium

Of course, when you do this, make sure to re-apply Office 2000 SP3, and any other security patches that may be out there.

I again suggest this as it sounds like there may be some files / settings left behind from the trial version of Office 2007. While this is a drastic set of steps, I have found it works best for me.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Simmo8

@as13285.net
what will happen to all my trillions of word docs that I still use? Won't I lose them all if I uninstal Word 2000? Thanks for the advice by the way.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
You're welcome!

Nothing should happen to your existing word documents, except for the short period between removal and re-install the icon on them will go from the Word icon to a default icon, as the associated program (Microsoft Word) has been removed from your system.

As long as you don't have them all stored in C:\Program Files\Office or C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office, you should be fine. Which, by default, they should not be there anyway. They should be located in your MyDocuments folder.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Simmo8

@as13285.net
Brian, many thanks.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
You are welcome.

Let me know how it goes, or if you run into any issues.

--Brian