Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits

Who has their Modem Return Box ?

This thread is just a 'Head Counter', of those whose modem return box from Cogeco is already 'present and accounted for'.

Short posts only, if I haven't asked for too much info below.

Maybe include your cutoff date, what Cogeco speed plan you have been using, how long you have been a Cogeco customer overall, the name of your next ISP, and whether you are taking more than just Internet away from Cogeco at this time.

If you have left them since last October, you qualify to post here too, as that's when they changed their UBB structure to have no limit on the 30 & 50 tiers, and some other changes.

Thanks.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

3 edits

MY GOUGEco Ultimate 30/2/175 Internet is due to shut off at end of April Fools' Day (which just happens to match my billing period), though I have arranged that I can extend it if I call in a few days ahead and pay them prorated for whatever extra time I figure to need.

I have an order in at START_ca for their Advanced Cable 20/1.5/300 Internet plan for $50 plus $5 modem rental plus HST.

I have only Internet with Cogeco leading up to this event, though I have had Analogue TV with them in the past.

Their technology is solid - it's the price points, caps, UBB, and other politics which have gotten my goat - see other threads for my detailed comments.

My Cogeco modem return box is here and ready to be packed.

ruddypict

join:2010-03-24
kudos:2
reply to Davesnothere
My GOUGEco account is already cancelled as a done deal.

Got the modem box packed. I'll be taking it out to post office today or Tuesday (Busy or too lazy, six of one, half dozen of the other).

I was a Pro customer (16/1) and I've moved onto Acanac MLPPP (10/1.25).

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
kudos:1
reply to Davesnothere
On the phone giving my 30 days as we speak.

Phorkster
Premium
Windsor, ON
Apparently I don't need 30 days. Just call in when my other service is up. Heh.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits
said by Phorkster:

Apparently I don't need 30 days. Just call in when my other service is up. Heh.

Don't mean to be parading about in my collection of Tin Foil Hats so early this season, but do you have the name of the rep who said that, and did you record the call ?

You CAN cancel like that, but did they clearly promise not to bill you for service past that date ?

DillyHammer would agree that these precautions would be wise to take.

Phorkster
Premium
Windsor, ON
Ms. Melissa stated that the 30 days is for total cancellation of all services. In the case of just the internet connection a phone call to the support line is all that is needed. I will call later again to verify however.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by Phorkster:

Ms. Melissa stated that the 30 days is for total cancellation of all services.

In the case of just the internet connection a phone call to the support line is all that is needed....

AHHH !

Well if THAT's the wrinkle, then for ME, doing either is the same, as I only have the one service.

Hmmmm....
--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Davesnothere
Meeeee!

squircle

join:2009-06-23
Oakville, ON
reply to Davesnothere
Returned my modem yesterday, cancelled after 15 months of Ultimate 30 (and one very harassing cancellations agent). Going to Teksavvy for 25/7. Switching cable TV as well after FibeTV is installed at the end of this month.

Also, you only need 30 days notice to cancel everything, individual services can be cancelled same-day.

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON
reply to Davesnothere
i'd love to switch, but bell makes it so hard on teksavvy for me to pay all the up-front fees involved in getting DSL. yeah, i know they have some offer going on, but i didn't find that out until yesterday... and i'm too busy this week to do it anyways, with work and stuff. i guess i'll have to wait until they run another promotion, or until i get a wad of cash and some time off work.

marka

join:2010-03-10
Fergus, ON
reply to Davesnothere
I've had mine for a few days, my cutoff is April 15th and although I'll miss the 30/2 speed (dropping to 20/1.5), I like 300gb a lot more than 175gb with a broken meter. I also like the price drop!
--
semper ubi sub ubi

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
I suspect that Start will offer 30/2 in Cogeco territory at some point in the future once they get a good feel for utilization. 50/2 is just too bloody expensive on the tariff side of things for a TPIA ISP to competitively offer on Cogeco's network.

Phorkster
Premium
Windsor, ON
Who needs anything more than 30/2?

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by Phorkster:

*shrug* I'd gladly take 100Mbit/s if I, you know, lived in Shaw territory and it was actually affordable.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
reply to Phorkster
said by Phorkster:

I even find THAT to be too fast sometimes.

Hardly can get my finger off the mouse button and the file has already downloaded.

It's scary !

Gone is the exhilaration of the chase.

I never had THAT problem with my good ol' (up to) 5M/800K DSL !

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

Bugblndr

join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Davesnothere
No Modem Return box here though I dropped the modem off at their retail store at the mall.

My cutoff date was the same day I called in to cancel, March 2nd I believe. No waiting, no penalty. I've been with them for about 12 months this time, was with TekSavvy for the previous 13 months or so and was with Cogeco for 13 years prior to that.

I was on Ultimate 30, cancelled for only one reason, the elimination of the maximum overage. I'm now on TekSavvy 16/1 DSL service and am very happy. 2-8am free bandwidth!

DoctorT

join:2011-07-23
Hamilton, ON
Canceled my 14/1 in January, the 80 GB cap just got to me.
The cap is just pathetic, and the price is insane!
I have relatives living in Russia, and they get 100 mbit internet with NO cap for around $25 a month. Ugh.
Anyways, I switched to bell 16/1 DSL (they gave me a really good price and no contract, so why not) with a 185GB cap and now I save $27 a month (including taxes).
I'm kinda sad that I dont have 25/7 DSL in my area, because I live around 800-900 m from their CO and 2 houses from the green box (forgot what its called) :P
whatever.

Jinzo

join:2011-06-14
Burlington, ON
reply to Bugblndr
If you drop it off at the mall. Just make sure they sign the paper work that the modem was returned, and you keep a copy. I have heard of horror stories where this was not done.

When I cancelled I took it to the mall as well. I don't think the head office has a customer return area but I could be wrong.

Bugblndr

join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Jinzo:

If you drop it off at the mall. Just make sure they sign the paper work that the modem was returned, and you keep a copy. I have heard of horror stories where this was not done.

When I cancelled I took it to the mall as well. I don't think the head office has a customer return area but I could be wrong.

When they opened up the mall store they closed down the customer service area on Syscon Road.

Truth be told, I don't do malls and my wife does so she brought the modem back and returned with our copy of the paperwork.

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to Davesnothere
I just ordered my free postage paid return box for their modem today! I'm so happy, can't wait to get an empty box in the mail

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
reply to Davesnothere
And it's here! Just got a notice from Canada Post that they dropped it off just now. I hope no one steals it from my doorstep!

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
What's the deal on that anyway? If Cogeco sends the box, and pays for the postage, and you take the box with your modem in it to Canada Post and post it, is that it? It's now considered returned? If it goes missing, is it on Cogeco? On Canada Post?

Im curious.

Mine (and the static IP doohickey) was picked up. I would have to settle for video of that whole transaction and the license plate of the vehicle as proof.

But what if that box goes missing? Then what?

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits
said by dillyhammer:

What's the deal on that anyway? ....

I will be testing that very hypothesis likely next Monday at our local P.O.

I posted somewhere recently about what happened to me once before when B$ELL said that I owed them a modem, but I forget just where.

I got them to back down though.

Will post link if I can find my post.

EDIT : HERE it is : »Re: Cogeco cancelled, incompetence continues

And I was responding to YOU that day too.

Actually that WHOLE THREAD is interesting, given the topic of the current one, so : »Cogeco cancelled, incompetence continues

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·loclhost.ca
reply to dillyhammer
They send you a Canada Post expresspost label in the box. Once you send it, they get a notice from Canada Post that the item was shipped. If it's all there, no matter the condition, you should be absolved from any responsibility. That's why they're using expresspost, it's insured.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by rodjames:

....That's why they're using expresspost, it's insured.

As was B$ELL, so B$ELL had even less reason to hassle me that time than I stated in my linked post above.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
reply to dillyhammer
Just a note, the box was delivered signature, which I got to verify the signature online. So if it was not delivered properly, not my fault. I didn't even tape the box up.

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-25
ON
kudos:8
If it shows up as an empty box who do you think they'll come after?
--
Fluent in 3 languages: English, Sarcasm and Sexual Innuendo.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
Not my problem. They should've provided tape.

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-25
ON
kudos:8
That's not how shipping works and just because you're angry doesn't make the rules any different for you than any other RMA

If it arrives empty or damaged to their door you can be held responsible. All companies work this way not just Cogeco.
--
Fluent in 3 languages: English, Sarcasm and Sexual Innuendo.