how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shades

join:2001-06-26
Williamstown, NJ

[Wi-Fi] New Router

I think my 4 year old Linksys router is on its death bed. on a wired connection i am getting 25 down like advertised and for 4 years on WIFI would be about 12-15 on my wireless g router, but suddenly in the last few days i only get 1-2 down no matter how close i am to the router. What are good in expensive options? another G router would be fine, that always worked fine for netflix and other video

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2

If your wireless adapter supports it, I would recommend a router that has wireless N support.

shades

Williamstown, NJ
reply to shades

yeah, my laptop, IPad and apple tv all do. what are some good ones?

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

said by shades:

yeah, my laptop, IPad and apple tv all do. what are some good ones?

I personally use a Netgear WNDR3700 but they are a little pricey. They have great wireless range and support a/b/g/n. There many others cheaper that are ok. Depends on what you can spend. Check out www.newegg.com they sell many brands and read the specs on each. Linksys makes some good ones as does Asus.

rob_in_chatt
Premium
join:2004-09-17
Chattanooga, TN
reply to shades

what version is that router? i have a wrt54g v4 that i loaded DDWRT firmware on and it runs like a new one.

i was having a nightmare getting my PS3 to connect to the PS network for online gaming without a load of port redirections. so i did some reading, and after the 30 min process to flash the router, the PS3 connected like a dream. and it runs smooth too. i can stream netflix over the router in full HD 1080p.

give it a shot if you know how to do that. if you are not careful, you will turn that router into a fancy paperweight. it can be a pain in the rear end unbricking a linksys.

beats dumping hard earned money on something that you might be able to fix for just a little time and effort.

shades

Williamstown, NJ
reply to shades

mine is a wrt54gl

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to shades

at this point I dont think wireless g routers are even made anymore. if you were to get a new router what features would you be interested in? what brand are you partial towards?

Let's put it this way, if you are paying for 25Mbps download speed wired, you should be getting that speed wirelessly as well.

If you are looking for a standard wireless n router without any usb features you could either check out the cisco E900 or the cisco E1200. If you are looking for a dual band router that handles both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, check out the cisco E2500 or cisco EA2700. If you want a dual band router with usb support so you can either share a usb hard drive, flash drive, or act as a print server, check out the cisco E3200, cisco EA3500, cisco E4200v1, cisco E4200v2, or cisco EA4500. The E4200v2 and E4200v1 have been reated editors chioce on pcmag.com and cnet.com reviews for about a year now, are the routers I own and recommend. Here is some info about them I wrote up recently. »Re: [Wireless] Linksys EA4500 router?

If you are looking at a Netgear, let me know and I can find some info on them for you

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
reply to shades

The Netwgear WNDR3400 is a much less expensive alternative to the WNDR3700. The features are the same except for gigabit ethernet.

shades

Williamstown, NJ
reply to shades

I think the standard dual band would be the fine. Netgear would be good i guess, I have no preference as long as it works well. Suddenly i am now getting 20 down again so maybe there was interference which I assume N routers would help with am i correct?

Drizew

join:2004-09-17
Los Lunas, NM
reply to shades

Let me start off by saying i am a huge Netgear fan, but I would suggest you get something else. I recently had a terrible time trying to set up a repeater with Netgear, which has made me search elsewhere for routers.

I have heard great things about the ASUS routers. You might want to give them a look. Plus you can install 3rd party firmwares on them, unlike the v3 WNDR3700, or many other Netgears.

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···reviewed

That is a solid router, but I am not sure what kind of price you are comfortable with. Either way, take a look around and make sure you do a fair bit of research.