how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mutefly

join:2012-03-23
Georgetown, ON

Cogeco Newsgroups

Hello folks . . . I am in Halton Hills (Georgetown) and I am having issues connecting to news.cogeco.ca. I keep getting "Authentication Required". I have tried different machines, connecting directly to the modem, different news browsers and various different settings to no avail.

I came across an older post that appeared to be about the same issue and someone named "nevertheless" appeared to be of great help. I tried to respond to the thread but it seems to be too old. So, if you're out there 'nevertheless' or anyone else with the know-how, I would really appreciate some assistance.

I am on a Mac by the way.

Thanks so much,
R.

Gixxer

join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON
kudos:3

What port are you using? Newsgroups are about the only good thing left on Cogeco, lol! I don't expect it to last long.
--
I love fish sticks. I love putting fish sticks in my mouth.

mutefly

Georgetown, ON

Port 119. I noticed in an older post that someone was having an issue with an IP address beginning with 24.xxx.xxx.xxx. As it turns out, I am also showing up with an IP address beginning with the same two digits. I wonder if this has anything to do with it.(?)

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

Don't think I can help (my IP starts with 72) and I'm not having any problems. Pulled a list up easily and just to test retention, pulled something 59.9 days old. No problems with either.

Set to port 119, and not sure if it matters, but I'm using news.cogeco.net (not ca). However, I'm on a business account, but again, not sure that makes a difference.

ETA: .ca .net (both work equally for me)

Marcer
Premium,VIP
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON
kudos:13
reply to mutefly

Hi Mutefly, can you provide me your full IP... (and/or Modem MAC address)

Access to the news server is controlled by ACL, your subnet is likely a recent addition, and needs to be added to the list.

headstone

join:2012-03-24
reply to mutefly

I too am having the same issue as mutefly.

I'm in a 24.x.x.x subnet now as well. Seems it must have changed over the last week or so as it was a 72.x.x.x before.

Marcer, i'll PM you my subnet as well in case it is different than mutefly's.

DigitalXeron
There is a lack of sanity

join:2003-12-17
Hamilton, ON
reply to mutefly

Recently Cogeco gained 108.162.96.0/20 and has been transferring residential connections in and out of that block. The usenet server may not have that IP block as allowed yet. It could be seen that Cogeco may have gained something new in 72/8 as well.
--
--Kradorex Xeron
[an error occurred while processing this signature]

nevertheless
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-08
St Catharines, ON
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to mutefly

said by mutefly:

So, if you're out there 'nevertheless' or anyone else with the know-how, I would really appreciate some assistance.

Marcer See Profile has sent me your IPs and we are investigating.
--
Some people think I'm an idiot. I disagree, but idiocy is subjective--so they may well be right. With this in mind, take everything I post with a grain of salt, eh?

mutefly

Georgetown, ON

2 edits

1 recommendation

I've just had a quick look and whatever you did seems to have done the trick.

I find it strange how several phone calls to Cogeco Tech Support yielded no results. Yet, one message on this forum and "boom!"

Thanks Marcer and Nevertheless!

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

That's why we post here when we have problems.

I think I've had only one real speed issue, where the uplink dropped to almost zero. Marcer figured out what was wrong and service was done, and I never did call in.

headstone

join:2012-03-24
reply to mutefly

Just wanted to add that its fixed for me now too

Thanks for your help.

Hamilton1

join:2007-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to mutefly

I can connect to the news server and I'm on a 24. ip .... but I've noticed over the last couple weeks that the speed has dropped from 37mb's down to around 7 or 8 mb's.

There are some mornings that I get the full 37, but most of the time it's very slow and if anyone from Cogeco has a chance can they please look into the issue.

I've done a speedtest and I'm getting 31mb's (ultimate 30) so my connection seems ok, but the news server has taken a hit for some reason.

Oh I tried my backup news server which is Astraweb and I reach over 30mb's with that no problem.

Expand your moderator at work