spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BrokenWings

join:2012-03-23

[AB] SHaw BB50 service any good?

My family is switching from Telus to Shaw in a week or two and I was just wondering how the BB50 service is going to hold up with my families online usage. We had at least 3 computers on the internet, a gaming console online, and an Ipad connected with Telus before, and it was fine but the service has been decreasing over the past months, and now we just can't take it anymore so we decided to finally switch (after contract was done of course)

So really, I was just wondering if the service will be consistent and if it is suitable for gaming online.

I am also in the NE Calgary area

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
Yeah it wont have any problems. Should be double the bandwidth available from your telus connection

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
reply to BrokenWings
said by BrokenWings:

My family is switching from Telus to Shaw in a week or two and I was just wondering how the BB50 service is going to hold up with my families online usage. We had at least 3 computers on the internet, a gaming console online, and an Ipad connected with Telus before, and it was fine but the service has been decreasing over the past months, and now we just can't take it anymore so we decided to finally switch (after contract was done of course)

So really, I was just wondering if the service will be consistent and if it is suitable for gaming online.

I am also in the NE Calgary area

If gaming you need to make sure your router (I'm going to assume you have one) does not have an overly large buffer. Bufferbloat can be a major problem for gaming if someone else on the network is uploading a lot (or downloading a very lot). Bittorrent can be really harsh on gaming.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bufferbloat

I would advise getting your Shaw modem-gateway put into "bridge" mode and buying your own high-end Netgear, Asus, apple, etc modem. (use smallnetbuilder.com to choose).

Netalyzr will help you determine if your router is being an issue.
»netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

Any time you game I suggest you make sure gaming is the only thing happening on your network at that time.

I game on my Shaw connection and it works great.

The reason you probably had problems with Telus is that their TV service steals bandwidth (at higher priority) from your internet connection. This can cause queuing of your gaming packets and queuing introduces latency.

I haven't had Telus Optik service, however, so I can't comment anecdotally on how things would compare.

BrokenWings

reply to BrokenWings
Thanks for the input! One more question though: I just found out that my Dad is keeping Telus Optik TV and just switching the phone and internet services to Shaw. With what you said about Optik TV stealing bandwidth from the internet connection, will that hugely affect the Shaw internet connections (wired and wireless)?

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
With Shaw,

TV services have no impact on the internet at all.

10 HD TVs, no impact on internet.

Being TV will still be Telus, guarenteed there will be no impact.

-Posted from my phone.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
reply to BrokenWings
said by BrokenWings:

Thanks for the input! One more question though: I just found out that my Dad is keeping Telus Optik TV and just switching the phone and internet services to Shaw. With what you said about Optik TV stealing bandwidth from the internet connection, will that hugely affect the Shaw internet connections (wired and wireless)?

OptikTV is delivered on Telus DSL service. If he has Shaw internet, then that is not Telus DSL, so the TV will have no impact on his internet service. They'll be coming in over separate cabling from separate providers.

So quick answer: Absolutely no affect at all.

BrokenWings

reply to BrokenWings
Alright, thanks again! That puts my worries aside!

hdpoint
Lethbridge, Alberta

join:2009-03-02
Canada

1 edit
reply to BrokenWings
I'm going for BB50 this morning, yesterday Iasked the salesperson in the Lethbridge store if I could get the Cisco router and she said yes.

Now, I'm wondering... How is the speed in South Lethbridge? Preferably near Scenic Drive South and 4th Avenue South. Any overloaded nodes?

Thanks in advance.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
I don't think you'll regret it.

I've been getting pretty consistent 50mbps speeds. I even found my ping times were better then when I was on telus (I think shaw uses better traffic routing).

I'm in BC though, but I'd imagine you'd be ok in Alberta.

I was a long time telus customer, but I moved to Victoria and they couldn't offer their top 25 mbps speed here. I've been enjoying shaw ever since I was able to get 50mbps last summer.

waldstein

join:2010-07-25
Hoserland
reply to BrokenWings
I don't game. Apart from that, I have been extremely satisfied with BB50. I don't know my ping lag, but insofar as speed is concerned, I consistently come close to the 50 limit (47.5 or so) on a handful of sites that send at 50 or more.

FYI, I am using both IP addresses (you get two with BB50) and my gateway is in "modem only" mode.

hdpoint
Lethbridge, Alberta

join:2009-03-02
Canada

2 edits
reply to BrokenWings
Got the SMC unit instead of the Cisco router. Since I'm in a small city that gets things later, I'll request it in a few months.

Speed is good, as advertised. Even wireless is nice and strong.