share rss forum feed

Raincity

join:2005-05-28
Las Vegas, NV

[NV] Line level check

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
The last couple of weeks I been having alot of dissconects while the modem lights are still active. I took the router out of the picture and still having the same problem. Is the line levels wrong ?

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

levels are right where they need to be, but i did see some t3 and t4 errors in your logs and a errors msg about ac fail. if all your connections are tight and no extra splitters you are going through then the only thing that can be done is have a tech out

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well seeing t3/t4's, and also sync failure. Very possible upstream issue, power level looks good on upstream. But we don't know upstream SNR value. Which is a key thing with upstream issue's. Also see your modem is on a 16QAM, another sign of possible upstream issue. Because most area's have 64QAM available on upstream now, and 64QAM doesn't play nice with noise, meaning the modem will drop down to a 16QAM on the upstream. I suggest either a tech visit, or discussing this with one of the techs who help out here. Very likely they will end up suggesting a tech visit, but might be able to tell you what they see as a sign for trouble.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

said by lilstone87:

Also see your modem is on a 16QAM, another sign of possible upstream issue. Because most area's have 64QAM available on upstream now, and 64QAM doesn't play nice with noise, meaning the modem will drop down to a 16QAM on the upstream.

Not true. I have 16QAM on the upstream and I have no issues.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Irish Shark:

said by lilstone87:

Also see your modem is on a 16QAM, another sign of possible upstream issue. Because most area's have 64QAM available on upstream now, and 64QAM doesn't play nice with noise, meaning the modem will drop down to a 16QAM on the upstream.

Not true. I have 16QAM on the upstream and I have no issues.

Well if there is 64QAM available, most likely there is a reason your modem is not using it. 64QAM is a lot better with providing more upload bandwidth. Reason cable providers are using it on the upstream, but still use 16QAM as a fall back option. Because 64QAM doesn't like noise. There is nothing wrong with using a 16QAM on the upstream, but your modem isn't logging T3/T4's errors either. Which are signs of trouble on the upstream when happening often.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV

Not saying that there might be an upstream SNR issue.

The point is: Look at my location, LV. I am in the same city as the original poster. LV uses a 16QAM upstream on certain MODEMs and service tiers.
--

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

i haven't ever heard of anyone here in las vegas using 64qam on the upstream before

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by bryant313:

i haven't ever heard of anyone here in las vegas using 64qam on the upstream before

Foreal? If that's the case, it seems your local market is a little bit behind regarding usng 64QAM on the upstream. Still regardless of the QAM being used, the t3/t4's being logged along with sync failure. Are a good possibly something going on with the upstream. But also seen in one of his screenshots, shows power supply ac fail. Makes me wonder if he was messing with the modem, and its power, or if there may be a power problem. With either the modem's power source or the source in which the modem is getting its power. Still regardless I think its best, he discuss this with one of the techs on here, and see what they can find out from there end as being a problem.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
reply to lilstone87

downloadMODEM LOG.tiff 450,906 bytesdownloadMODEM Levels.tiff 208,098 bytes
I knew that screen shot looked familiar. It is an Arris MODEM.

My levels are almost identical to his.

I have T3 errors also as well as sync errors.

On second thought, I doubt that there are any Upstream SNR issues.
--

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV

He has a bad MODEM and needs to call Cox and have it replaced.
--

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Irish Shark:

He has a bad MODEM and needs to call Cox and have it replaced.

Reason I mention the power supply ac fail, because unless your unplugging your modem, and its power source. I am pretty sure the modem shouldn't be logging that kind of stuff, unless there is a power problem regarding the modem.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Irish Shark

said by Irish Shark:

I knew that screen shot looked familiar. It is an Arris MODEM.

My levels are almost identical to his.

I have T3 errors also as well as sync errors.

On second thought, I doubt that there are any Upstream SNR issues.

You might want to remove the mac# from the modem log attachment. Also if I were him, and gets the eMTA replaced. I would request a new D3 eMTA, if available in the area. More future proofed, and most likely will run better being a D3 modem, running on cox's D3 network.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV

I know that Cox is paranoid about posting the MAC, but once you have it what are you going to do with it?

I think that is the Arris MODEM/Phone combo, just like I have. If that is true, Cox will leave that one (or a replacement) in place for the phone. I asked Cox about a D3 MODEM and they told be unless I needed one, they would not provide it. If he gets the same response, he will have to buy one.
--

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV
reply to lilstone87

i would not say we are behind i think 64qam is available here in Las Vegas but its not being implemented or used

but i very well could be wrong i will start a thread and see if i can find anyone from Las Vegas that is using 64qam

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Irish Shark

said by Irish Shark:

I know that Cox is paranoid about posting the MAC, but once you have it what are you going to do with it?

I think that is the Arris MODEM/Phone combo, just like I have. If that is true, Cox will leave that one (or a replacement) in place for the phone. I asked Cox about a D3 MODEM and they told be unless I needed one, they would not provide it. If he gets the same response, he will have to buy one.

Well if the eMTA needs replacing for him, and cox has D3 eMTA available. it shouldn't be a problem, because its cox's own equipment that needs replacing. So no reason cox should leave the current modem in place for anything since it has problems, reason for replacement being needed. Most likely he doesn't need a D3 modem, but being that his D2 eMTA might need replacement. It wont hurt to ask for the newer D3 eMTA as a replacement. Because I am sure if there available, and a tech comes out to replace the eMTA, and has a D3 eMTA on hand, he will install it for him most likely.

As for the mac#, I think its more of a matter of some people trying to clone the mac#, and stealing service.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to bryant313

said by bryant313:

i would not say we are behind i think 64qam is available here in Las Vegas but its not being implemented or used

but i very well could be wrong i will start a thread and see if i can find anyone from Las Vegas that is using 64qam

Well only thing could about 64QAM is it being able to provide more bandwidth, but its needs to run on a clean plant. Which is hard for ISP's to keep the return path clean, reason for the 16QAM fallback.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
reply to lilstone87

I am not 100% sure if they have a D3 MODEM/Phone combo.

When I asked for the D3, I was also looking at trying the 50mb speed tier. That's when they told me the Arris would stay and be used for the phone only.

So, I just asked for a D3 and that's when they told me to take a hike.
--

Beezel1

@cox.net

said by Irish Shark:

I am not 100% sure if they have a D3 MODEM/Phone combo.

When I asked for the D3, I was also looking at trying the 50mb speed tier. That's when they told me the Arris would stay and be used for the phone only.

So, I just asked for a D3 and that's when they told me to take a hike.

Cisco DPQ3212 Is a D3/phone modem. I have one sitting right beside me.

Raincity

Las Vegas, NV

Thanks everybody. I guess I will call Cox on Monday and schedule them out for line troubleshooting. If i purchase my own Cisco DPQ32312. Will they give me a a hassle runing the phone service off it.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Raincity:

Thanks everybody. I guess I will call Cox on Monday and schedule them out for line troubleshooting. If i purchase my own Cisco DPQ32312. Will they give me a a hassle runing the phone service off it.

No don't buy an eMTA internet/phone modem, you will be told no on having it provisioned, since it is not one of the company's eMTA's. A regular internet modem is a little different, but if you buy a eMTA theres a 99% chance you will be upset to find out you can't use it.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Beezel1

Is that new or have you had it for a while? What speed tier on you on?
--

Raincity

Las Vegas, NV

The modem is an Arris that was installed when I upgraded to phone service 4 years ago. The internet is middle tier.

Irish Shark
Premium,MVM
Las Vegas, NV

I wonder why Cox gave me a hard time when I requested a D3 MODEM?
--

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:76

I think part of it is the DPQ3212's are still relatively limited in supply.