Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ful_throttle

join:2012-03-24
West Frankfort, IL
reply to MediacomChad

Re: [IL] After outage my download speeds less than 1 Meg

One thing I noticed last night and this morning while doing my speed test from speedtest.net was that it showed my location to be in the middle of Iowa? Speedtest.net has always showed my location correctly (near Herrin, Illinois) until yesterday. Here is the speedtest.net test from this morning;

I then took your advice and reset my modem ( I had reset it several times the day the 'net was down) and this was the result.

This time it correctly has me in southern Illinois, and the speeds are much better (ping time isn't great, but hey it beats my old dial up
Why do you think I was routing through central Iowa (or appearing to be in central Iowa)?

Thank you for the work you do here, You are appreciated.

Lazy Senior

join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Mediacom

said by ful_throttle:

This time it correctly has me in southern Illinois, and the speeds are much better (ping time isn't great, but hey it beats my old dial up
Why do you think I was routing through central Iowa (or appearing to be in central Iowa)?

For the last 6 weeks since I got Mediacom Internet, Speedtest has shown me to be in Moline,IL which is quite a ways from me. All of a sudden a couple of days ago Speedtest started showing me in Murphysboro, IL, which is only 20 miles north of me.

Something has definitely changed from either Mediacom or Speedtest.

Almost always when using Speedtest with the Recommended Server option I get the Tower server in Chi-town. It is much faster than Jackson TN server. Try it manually.