share rss forum feed

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to Johnny

Re: [Parts Check] Does anyone know why my KVM does this?

Can you take the new switch out of the equation and plug the display directly into the PC? Then, hopefully, it will display properly. You can then set the resolution to something small, like 1024x768, that will, for sure, work through the switch.
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
join:2001-06-27
Atlanta, GA
kudos:2

Will do. I JUST NOW finished switching everything back to what works. Gotta wait until tomorrow afternoon though - had to reset everything since I can basically only switch to the 27" on weekends. I just need to test now if the PC works at all with the new switch, even with the small monitor. If it doesn't, I'm screwed.

Addendum: PC works with new switch, and 20" DVI monitor. Does not work with new switch, 27-inch monitor and DVI converter. Keyboard repeat is very slooooow though - I remember having this issue with the other switch when it was new. There is some way to set it not to emulate a keyboard..

Addendum: checked the PC and it is set for 1280 x 800. Not sure if I can work with it set to 1024, as custom app is written badly and very sensitive to resolutions. Will try and post back.

Thank you Drew.

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to sk1939

Well, in addition to my difficulties getting the big display to work, now I have somehow torqued up the switch. It flashes 3 short and one long when I switch it to the Mac, and all USB is frozen. When I switch back to the PC, Windows cheerfully advises that I could use a "faster USB port than the one I am connected to." But at least after that, the PC unfreezes and I can work. The Mac is still totally frozen even with a restart.

I disconnected the switch from both computers and left it that way for 30 minutes - no change.

Anybody know what this "three dots and one dash" flashing code means? IOGEAR's user manual really sucks.

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA

Well, I'm sending the switch back. Somehow it just isn't compatible, even when using the Apple 20" monitor.

I went back to the GCS932 switch and it works fine with the same computers and same monitor.

I wonder if this could have been due to the Dell having single-link DVI or something like that? I'm also willing to put a different GPU in the Dell if I only knew what to put.

Now looking at the Startech switch - it also claims 2560 x 1600 res and has good reviews.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

In looking at the 780 specs, I only see a VGA and Display Port output for video... how are you getting DVI? Are you using an expansion card? If so, what card?
--

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA

said by drew:

In looking at the 780 specs, I only see a VGA and Display Port output for video... how are you getting DVI? Are you using an expansion card? If so, what card?

Yes, I upgraded it a year ago. Radeon HD 4500 Series. The one that came with it sucked for this 20" display. I can't open up the machine right now to get the exact model, but it has 512MB of display memory.

I just found out that the "Adapter" section of the Display Control Panel has some resolution settings. NOW they tell me... after I already got an RMA.

Probably doesn't matter, as the in-house app that I have to run for work chokes if you adjust anything - windows overlap the damn taskbar, windows-within-windows drive me nuts, etc.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

Could you run GPU-Z for me?

»www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to Johnny

The Radeon HD 4500 is a mobile platform. I think it's probably a HD 4550.

From AMD's site on the 4550

quote:
*Two integrated DVI display outputs
-Primary supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI) or 2560x1600 (dual-link DVI)2
-Secondary supports 18-, 24-, and 30-bit digital displays at all resolutions up to 1920x1200 (single-link DVI only)2

The superscript 2 has the following note:

quote:
2.Some custom resolutions require user configuration
The biggest thing that stands out to me is that one of the two ports on the video card only supports dual-link DVI.

I would consider un-packing the switch and seeing if you can make it work with that in mind. Another thing I would look at is cables/adapters.

And I will say this - what the heck Windows/Video Card Manufacturers? This should NOT be this complicated.
--

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to drew

said by drew:

Gimme a couple of minutes - the PC is on a VPN so I have to mail this to myself and I may have to kill the VPN to even get to the internet.

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to drew

I have no idea where it downloaded it to. Where in the hell in IE do you find the list of recently downloaded files?

Start->Search->All Files and Folders -> Filename contains "GPU-Z"

Nothing so far. Didn't find it.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

AFAIK, you don't. IE sucks.

Check the desktop, that's usually where it saves to if you don't customize (change) it.
--

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA

Yeah - not there. Do you know the filename of this thing, so I know I'm searching for the correct thing?

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

No clue.

It's not imperative, just a "trust but verify" deal.

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA

It's interesting that your info on that card indicates that it is dual-link DVI and that it can drive 2560 - that is even more puzzling. That removes one solution I had thought of (thought maybe I needed to put a single-to dual adapter if there exists such a thing).

It's been a year since I installed it so I don't remember exactly what it is. It was about the third one I had to try before I got something that worked with my setup.

I'll start fresh - can't hold onto this RMA for the whole week. Think I will try the Startech switch. If that idea bombs out, maybe they can send me a bigger PC.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

quote:
thought maybe I needed to put a single-to dual adapter if there exists such a thing
I'm more concerned with a dual-link port not having the requisite cables/adapters in it; or trying to use the single-link port for the larger resolution.
--

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA

Well, now we know the card is dual-link, the switch was dual-link, and so is the monitor.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

Yep. Process of elimination...

This is pretty ridiculous, however. There are certainly benefits to allowing the software vendor to make the hardware as well.
--

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA

I was stunned when you said there was no way to find a downloaded file. Stunned, I tell you. I guess that's why so many PC people switched to FireFox a long time ago.

drew
Automatic
Premium
Port Orchard, WA

In IE9 you can hit Ctrl+J. I (just) learned this.

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA

Eh, of course this corporate PC has IE 8. I'm lucky it's not IE 6.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
kudos:1

IE8 default download folder is My Documents. If you choose a different folder then IE8 will remember it for future downloads. IE8 provides no easy way to view your recent downloads.

The filename is GPU-Z.0.6.0.exe
--
less talk, more music

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA
reply to drew

said by drew:

OK! After mega - flail, here is the screenshot.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10

Sounds like a Radeon HD 4550.

Johnny
Fed Up. Bye.
Premium
Atlanta, GA

said by sk1939:

Sounds like a Radeon HD 4550.

I agree, without opening up the case yet. Although I don't see any second DVI port. I remember I ordered this one because it was fanless and was low-profile.

IOGEAR's technical support guy, "Harry", was 100% useless. He advised that "there must be some incompatibility somewhere" and did not know what the dit-dit-dit-dah flashing error code meant. I still don't know.

Anyway, I got an RMA on the switch and am now trying to figure out which is the next switch I should try. I am considering this one: »www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SV23···duct_top

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

The second DVI port varies depending on manufacture and feature set of the card. Low profile cards aren't likely to have a second DVI port, only a VGA attatched via a ribbon cable and mounted on a full size bracket.

Not a surprise there.

I still suggest the Avocent as mine has been solid, but they are rather pricey. The Startech seems to have good reviews though, so you should be able to give it a shot and see.