uniqs
share rss forum feed

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to BENNY9394

Re: [BC] Broadband100 download speed only 1-4Mbps - Vancouver

Hey Benny - please pm me your account details, looks like you're having the same issues as rotohoto.

cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

BENNY9394

join:2012-08-01
Vancouver, BC
reply to dave778

Help!!
What can I do !!

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
1. Click on my username (ShawSean)
2. You should see a large text box with a yellow background
3. Type in either your account number or phone number on your Shaw account
4. Click on Send!
5. I will reply detailing the next steps

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Mikroft

join:2012-08-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to dave778
I have almost the exact speeds as Benny

My broadband 50 drops down to almost nothing at night. Around 12am it goes up to about 2mbps. This morning around 8am I tried a speed test and was able to hit my 47mbps. It feels like a congestion issue and coincidentally started happening when the Olympics started. There were some disconnects yesterday but since reconnecting all the cables and rebooting/reprovisioning the modem it hasn't since.

Shaw support today said it may be a problem with the filter/cable and would not investigate any further even though we went through all the steps eliminiating the issues the day before with another more helpful rep. Guess I'll have to wait for a tech to come out in 8days.

dasbin

join:2003-08-07
reply to dave778
I'm having similar issues with BB100 in Vancouver. Full speed during the day, down to about 300k/sec in the evening, worst about 8-9 PM.

Interestingly, starting a new download will begin at full speed then quickly taper off to this ridiculous low. I have to suspect some extreme traffic shaping during peak hours going on. This would also explain the in-network Shaw Speed Test reporting full speeds.

scubascythan

join:2005-05-14
Should use speedtest.net than Shaw servers, since they're just routing traffic internally on their network.

Shaw doesn't throttle downloads at all. It's just bad congestion in your area during peak hours.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
said by scubascythan:

Should use speedtest.net than Shaw servers, since they're just routing traffic internally on their network.

Shaw doesn't throttle downloads at all. It's just bad congestion in your area during peak hours.

The problem with using speedtest.net is you never know how large their pipe is, or how saturated their testing connection/server are. The Shaw speed test can help you locate saturation, if the Shaw speed test is scoring high then the issue may not be saturation.

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to dave778
Other than Speedtest what are you experiencing low speeds in?

Torrents?
Usenet?
FTP Downloads (Do you know pipe bw and current utilization)
HTPP Downloads (Refer to Above)

Is this wired/wireless direct to modem or through router (WHat make model)

dasbin

reply to scubascythan
said by scubascythan:

This explains neither why every download during these times download would begin at full speed (~12 Megabytes / sec) then taper to almost nothing within 20 seconds, nor why the Shaw Speed Test is able to report full speed all the time. If my nodes were saturated, neither would be possible.

It looks a lot like Shaw's main pipe to the rest of the internet is saturated during peak hours, which is triggering auto traffic shaping based on length of a connection (longer connection = shaping engaged). Just a theory, but hard to explain this behaviour any other way.

Doonz

Beaumont, AB
said by dasbin:

said by scubascythan:

This explains neither why every download during these times download would begin at full speed (~12 Megabytes / sec) then taper to almost nothing within 20 seconds, nor why the Shaw Speed Test is able to report full speed all the time. If my nodes were saturated, neither would be possible.

It looks a lot like Shaw's main pipe to the rest of the internet is saturated during peak hours, which is triggering auto traffic shaping based on length of a connection (longer connection = shaping engaged). Just a theory, but hard to explain this behaviour any other way.

Very broad statement. Could you provide more details on the equipment and the action that is being taken while this slow down is occuring

dasbin

4 edits
reply to Doonz
Happens with any type of download (I have an Easynews subscription for testing Usenet speeds). They all exhibit the exact same behaviour. Shaw in-network connections are fine, anything else tapers from full to very slow within about 20 seconds.
I understand the desire to get some specs on server bw and utilization (I don't have any), but the problem is absolutely broad enough that this can be ruled out. *Any* download from *any* source outside of Shaw network during peak hours. I've tried hundred of downloads from wildly varying sources through the last month; they are all the same. Running a Shaw Speed test during these times reports full speed. Starting a new download (or pausing / resuming a current one) resets that download speed back to full, then quickly down again. No problems during off-peak hours, ruling out my equipment or connection.

Cisco DPC-3825 modem in bridge mode.
Linksys E4200 router.

No problems until about a month ago. Actually, I'm pretty sure the timing of it starting lines up with the big server fire in Calgary. Probably just a coincidence, although this is also the time when I switched from BB50 (which always maintained full speed) to BB100 (which tapers to these ~1-4 Mbps off-network speeds in peak hours).

I should also note that my trace-route ping skyrockets during the problem times from 14ms to over 110ms. The entirety of the increase resides in the Shaw router hops (*.vc.shawcable.net and *.cl.shawcable.net).

Doonz

Beaumont, AB
said by dasbin:

Happens with any type of download (I have an Easynews subscription for testing Usenet speeds). They all exhibit the exact same behaviour. Shaw in-network connections are fine, anything else tapers from full to very slow within about 20 seconds.
I understand the desire to get some specs on server bw and utilization (I don't have any), but the problem is absolutely broad enough that this can be ruled out. *Any* download from *any* source outside of Shaw network during peak hours. I've tried hundred of downloads from wildly varying sources through the last month; they are all the same. Running a Shaw Speed test during these times reports full speed. Starting a new download (or pausing / resuming a current one) resets that download speed back to full, then quickly down again. No problems during off-peak hours, ruling out my equipment or connection.

Cisco DPC-3825 modem in bridge mode.
Linksys E4200 router.

No problems until about a month ago. Actually, I'm pretty sure the timing of it starting lines up with the big server fire in Calgary. Probably just a coincidence, although this is also the time when I switched from BB50 (which always maintained full speed) to BB100 (which tapers to these ~1-4 Mbps off-network speeds in peak hours).

I should also note that my trace-route ping skyrockets during the problem times from 14ms to over 110ms. The entirety of the increase resides in the Shaw router hops (*.vc.shawcable.net and *.cl.shawcable.net).

Dunno im still around 28MB/s

ravenchilde

reply to dasbin
said by dasbin:

This doesn't describe congestion of the last mile. That would slow all things equally.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to dasbin
@dasbin - could you pm me your account details so we can investigate the issues you're having further?

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Alder

@shawcable.net
I have done speedtests on my Mac, I did a wireless test and a test without wireless.

I am getting around 48Mbps download. I have a gigabit router Linksys dir 655.

Shouldn't I at least get over 50 Mbps? Because I never have.

Thanks

ravenchilde

said by Alder :

I have done speedtests on my Mac, I did a wireless test and a test without wireless.

I am getting around 48Mbps download. I have a gigabit router Linksys dir 655.

Shouldn't I at least get over 50 Mbps? Because I never have.

Thanks

That depends on which package you have?

scubascythan

join:2005-05-14
reply to dave778
Prob Broadband100

danimaltron

join:2012-08-23
reply to ShawSean
I'm in Mission, BC, and I have been getting 7-25Mbps/s tonight down from Shaw's speed test. I just got connected today. BB100. Very disappointed as I've had a lot of other issues with Shaw lately related to a previous no-show appointment, and billing mistakes.

opethfan

join:2011-09-09
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to dave778
Well I'm getting the same issue now.

After my modem going down and needing several reboots every other day, it's up now but my hardwired home file server is getting down speeds of 0.19Mbps down and 3.90Mbps up with a ping of 11ms. I'm quite sad.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
said by opethfan:

Well I'm getting the same issue now.

After my modem going down and needing several reboots every other day, it's up now but my hardwired home file server is getting down speeds of 0.19Mbps down and 3.90Mbps up with a ping of 11ms. I'm quite sad.

Can you pm me with your contact details? I'd like to investigate these connection issues further for you.

Cheers,
Sean
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager