uniqs

trusean
@shawcable.net

trusean to eunsong1989

Anon

to eunsong1989

Re: [BC] Broadband100 download speed only 1-4Mbps - Vancouver

Hey guys,

So I noticed my speed go from close to a hundy to a pathetic ~1.5 mbps so I installed my old 56 k modem and now I'm happy again. Doom all day with those speeds, who needs BF3 anyways. But seriously I wasn't happy, so I called Shaw of course. I live in the W41 and West Boulevard area.

At first, the first few technicians may have been a part of some equality work program as they could only suggest unplugging my modem and waiting for 30 sec. then power up again, thanks tips. But the thing that made my most angry was those bastards tried to lie to me. They said all other speed tests were false and theirs, shaw.speedtest.ca, was correct. I'm sure. I was getting almost 75 mbps on their site, but couldn't even buffer a video on youtube. So that's the point when I lost my shit. Long story short, "my issue" was escalated to a supervisor in technical support. She was awesome. She admitted that there was indeed work currently going on in my area for the analog to digital conversion. She said she would notify the engineers that there has major service disruption. The estimated time is approximately two months, maybe till even July. She also acknowledge that their speed test site may also be bugged and is obviously not showing the correct speed and they will address that as well (which they have for me at least, I have shitty speeds even on their site now, awesome!) Then came the next issue...

That’s when I asked her, if shaw knew they were going to do an infrastructure upgrade, and their engineers speculated that there may be service interruptions, then why was shaw selling me internet speeds they were incapable of achieving without notifying me, the paying customer? I asked if shaw thought I wouldn’t notice, that I am sheep whose eyes are full of wool? She agreed and apologized for the lack of communication about the issue and the lack of support I was getting. Then she asked me a question, how much would you be willing to pay for your DOCSIS 3 modem that runs like a 56 k? I said 10 bucks a month, she countered with a 50% internet discount, I agreed. So for all of March and April I am only paying $35 bucks for BB100 which is a joke still because it’s actually BB1, but still I appreciate the discount.

So if you have shitty internet, which you do, call shaw and say you want to speak to the supervisor and you want free internet. Don’t waste your time with the support guy. It’s not your router, it’s not your config file in your modem, it’s shaw’s issue. Lastly, she mentioned if the internet isn’t fixed by the end of April, I just have to call in again. And make sure to mention that its bullshit they knew about this and used their own speed test to mask it, that’s shady.
dave778
join:2012-03-24
Vancouver, BC

dave778

I had a few friends over last night & as usual my AppleTV was unable to work due to lack of a decent internet connection. I just got off the phone w those bastards my self (for the 4th time in a month) but this time spoke to a supervisor who said they are in the midst of a network upgrade (note the past 3 times nobody knew anything) & that they are hoping it will be complete by July. ARE U KIDDING ME? IS THIS A BLOODY JOKE? At least when Telus & Bell rip u off they give u what u pay for, even though its waaay overpriced.
loanarranger
join:2012-04-01

loanarranger to dave778

to dave778
Do you have windows? That could be the problem have you considered using a mac to login to your tools etc or linux? Unix and Linux use a proprietary packet system that is honored globally for bandwidth allocation and windows uses some grep and other packet types that are more uncommon.

Have you considered switching to bell?

gibber2
@shawcable.net

gibber2 to rotohoto

Anon

to rotohoto

West 41st and maple...one week in.
rotohoto
join:2012-03-31
canada

rotohoto

Well at least we know it's not just some isolated issue.

I called in again today looking for an answer... the first line support guy said that my Moto 6120 "couldn't handle the speed" for the level of service I have... nevermind that it's seemed to handle it just fine for the last number of months... and it still seems to handle it fine as long as I'm using the Shaw speedtest.

I wasn't allowed to talk to a supervisor since he was so sure it was a modem problem, and said that swapping it *will* resolve my problems.

I'm skeptical that it will, but they won't do anything else until I take it down to one of their retail outlets to swap it for a new one... so... I guess that's what I need to do next.

Cows go moo2
@telus.net

Cows go moo2 to dave778

Anon

to dave778
July? And they're hoping people just won't notice? ( No notification, BS internal network speed test, ignorant CSRs)

Somebody should call Olson on Your Side (I don't know the new woman's name. Lol)
dave778
Vancouver, BC

dave778 to rotohoto

to rotohoto
Swapping wont help anything. Half of Vancouver is getting these crapy speeds. They made me change my modem 3 weeks ago & its still the same. I'm getting the same speeds as you.

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to dave778

to dave778
Hey guys,

I've posted asking this on the first page, can those of you experiencing these speed issues pm me with your account details so i'm able to escalate this further? Also, please link to this thread so I know what to reference.

We're already looking into the issue but the more examples the better.

Cheers.
pynnerz
join:2012-04-02

pynnerz to dave778

to dave778
Arbutus & 33rd area.

Been having this problem since at least march 24th, and it only seems to be getting worse. Until this, I have always had good speeds (ie: 35-45mbp/s) being on the BB50 package.
One day it was like someone flicked a switch, now I get:
down 0.86 Mb/s up 0.66 Mb/s 77 ms Burnaby, BC

Calling shaw is a joke. The people they employ know eff all about what they are doing, or what's actually going on with the service. How many times does one need to reset their connection before it's clear to the CSR that it ain't my problem. Must be my router, right? lol
So anyways, I did manage to get a tech booked, which is going to take 2.5 weeks, but in the mean time, shaw has offered jackshit in way of explanation nor compensation for their crappy network/hijinx.

I've heard it may be 2 months like this.. And if it's even close to that long, I'm done with shaw.. Companies run this poorly deserve to fail.

I will up date here once the tech comes by to give me his excuse.

Pynnerz
ymok2

ymok2 to dave778

to dave778
Slow Internet (on extreme...) near Balsam and 41st as well, been like this since last week...

gdub
@shawcable.net

gdub

Anon

Same problem here... subscribed to broadband 20 and am getting 0.5-1 MBit/s. Bye bye Shaw i just switched to telus. Better speed, cheaper, and stable.
rotohoto
join:2012-03-31
canada

rotohoto to dave778

to dave778
I realize swapping my modem wasn't going to fix anything, but until I did that I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere going through their phone support.

Took a detour this morning to swap my modem at the Shaw tower. I'm sure it's not the new modems fault, but I'm actually seeing worse results today.

Called back and got a pretty helpful guy this time.

Eventually I extracted from him that my issues are due to the fact I'm on the "Cambie hubsite", which is having serious problems with congestion brought on by upgrades they are doing. His explanation being that as they take down portions to upgrade it, that lowers the overall bandwidth available to the site until it's finished.

He said the upgrades could be done by the end of June... or maybe July... but most certainly by August

I was offered either a $15/month credit for 3 months, or a one time only credit of $60something for this month. I let him know in it's current state I'm really not interested in paying for it at all, but that's the best they could do. Other than that, my options were downgrading to lite speed or something, but I often work from home and a higher upstream makes a lot of the things I do much more pleasant.

I must admit I'm still thoroughly surprised by all this. This goes completely against every experience I've had as a Shaw customer since they took over my area from Rogers in the early 2000s.

So there has either been some very poor planning with regards to how they are going about their upgrades (in terms of both implementation and communication), OR they have a bizarre idea of what's acceptable in terms of delivering service.

I strongly dislike Telus, but faced with paying nearly full price for garbage service over the next 2-5 months (and who knows how much longer? the CSRs still don't have a firm date), or just sucking it up and dealing with the pain in the ass of switching, I think that's an easy choice. I'll be booking a Telus install tomorrow, then I guess if Shaw can't get their shit together before that date comes... that's that.
nate92

nate92 to dave778

to dave778

Well, this is just too much to bear. Calling shaw on the phone yielded just more of the same tripe. BB50 getting 0.88 down and 0.69 up and they don't even bother to give an explanation and keep on taking my money. They said it'll clear up from anything between 1 week to multiple weeks. The earliest date for a tech to drop by is April 23rd, which I promptly declined. They also denied that this is a widespread problem. How could they even deny this? These massive slowdowns accompanied by huge packet loss are reported all over BC. Now there are reports of mass internet and HDTV outage from Vancouver to Calgary. What are they going to blame next? My router? Viruses?

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

1 edit

XT0RT to dave778

to dave778
This is starting to hit Edmonton as well. I am only getting 8 Mbps down on every Speedtest server out there, yet the latency is good.

*Edit*: Placed my order for Telus Turbo last night. You've guys have had plenty of time to get your sh** together, and this is the 6th time in 6 years where the speeds tank in nearly less than a year. I'm done.
dave778
Vancouver, BC

dave778 to nate92

to nate92
Main St @ 57th COMPLETELY WITHOUT INTERNET SINCE 7:00 pm. Instead of fixing the 1Mbps problem in my
ood you let it get worse.
Way to go Shaw. I've lost all respect for you as a company & provider. My internet better be back w a vengeance tomorrow at 110Mbps mofo's!!

Stan M
@shawcable.net

Stan M to dave778

Anon

to dave778

Located in South Van - 69th and Heather. BB50.
Have complained about this issue several times but told by CSR's at Shaw that there are no local network issues and they will send a technician out on April 23!!

Obviously their CSR's do not subscribe to this forum.
FYI the Shaw Speedtest continues to show at least 45 Mbps.

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to dave778

to dave778
I'm working on it guys, I've escalated the issue we're seeing in Vancouver so the right eyes are on it. I'll post updates as soon as they're made available.

Cheers.
pynnerz

pynnerz to dave778

to dave778
Update:

I've signed up for Telus (net, fone, hdtv), and I am killing my shaw account. Good riddance.
Shaw has handled this so freaking badly that they don't deserve any of my cash anymore.

Good luck to those who stay with shaw, I've heard this could be going on for months.

Stan M
@shawcable.net

Stan M

Anon

Pynnerz

I am contemplating switching to Telus too. What is it that you have heard that gives you cause to think that this could be going on for months?
Lesaonar
join:2000-07-25
Victoria, BC

Lesaonar to pynnerz

to pynnerz
Hope you don't have any issues with Telus, since it's far worse getting any form of resolution with them if you have problems. We had to get the BBB involved when we were with them last and all that really did was get us out of our contract.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

XT0RT to dave778

to dave778
To each their own....

I've yet to have an issue with TELUS, other than the language barriers of their call center agents.
pynnerz

pynnerz to Stan M

to Stan M
I've heard it from shaw that it could be well into summer before it's corrected.. as to the cause, I dunno, shaw doesn't seem interested in sharing that info.

Only have to wait 1 week to get telus hooked up, so that's not too bad.
pynnerz

pynnerz to Lesaonar

to Lesaonar
Well, it's either that or continue paying shaw large amounts of money for essentially nothing. I can't surf proper, can't use xboxlive nor netflix.
I won't be on a contract, so I am not too worried about it.
Usually when you sign a time based contract, bad things happen.

we'll see how it goes.
slam5
Premium Member
join:2003-01-10
Vancouver, BC

slam5 to dave778

Premium Member

to dave778
Yes, they have a problem. i have their 50 plan and it slow so much that i can use my internet. fortunately, i have a DSL service as backup. it is SLOW but i have to bear with it. they told me their service will be slow until Summer as they are upgrading their equipment. Their only saving grace is that they gave me $ 100 credit. If you don't have much choice except with Shaw, complain to them so you will have $$ back.
pynnerz

pynnerz

Sure, you could complain at them till your blue in the face just to get some of your money back. But in the end, your still stuck with a crap service for an undetermined amount of time.

Been with them since they took over from Rogers, and this is the final straw.. Some one else will get a crack at my wallet.

my speeds on shaw right now:
down: 2.29 Mb/s up: 2.76 Mb/s 20 ms
That's on the BB50 package.
janstan
join:2012-04-03
Vancouver, BC

janstan

Posted here previously as Stan M.

You mentioned in another Forum that you had booked a technician visit from Shaw early April. Did he come or did you decide to switch regardless?

I have a visit scheduled for April 23 but from what I am seeing on this forum it will solve nothing and I am left with the decision to switch to Telus or stick it out.

Many of us here might welcome you posting your experience with the Telus installation and your first impressions.
pynnerz

pynnerz

Hey janstan,

I did book a shaw-tech, but I'm just not going to bother waiting as the scope of the problem is much larger.. What's the poor tech to do, reset the modem? lol

I would be happy to post an update about the Telus install, which will be done on friday the 13th . And I look forward to doing a review for the service..

C750
@shawcable.net

C750 to dave778

Anon

to dave778
Wow it's getting worse for me in Kerrisdale! This is completely unacceptable!! Telus may be getting a call soon.

janstan
join:2012-04-03
Vancouver, BC

janstan to pynnerz

to pynnerz
Pynnerz

Thanks. Hope you are aware that Shaw require 10 days notice of service cancellation. Don't want them getting even more $$$ from you that they are not entitled to
Lesaonar
join:2000-07-25
Victoria, BC

Lesaonar

said by janstan:

Pynnerz

Thanks. Hope you are aware that Shaw require 10 days notice of service cancellation.

And Telus requires 30 days notice.