how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gdub

@shawcable.net
reply to ymok2

Re: [BC] Broadband100 download speed only 1-4Mbps - Vancouver

Same problem here... subscribed to broadband 20 and am getting 0.5-1 MBit/s. Bye bye Shaw i just switched to telus. Better speed, cheaper, and stable.

rotohoto

join:2012-03-31
canada
kudos:1
reply to dave778
I realize swapping my modem wasn't going to fix anything, but until I did that I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere going through their phone support.

Took a detour this morning to swap my modem at the Shaw tower. I'm sure it's not the new modems fault, but I'm actually seeing worse results today.

Called back and got a pretty helpful guy this time.

Eventually I extracted from him that my issues are due to the fact I'm on the "Cambie hubsite", which is having serious problems with congestion brought on by upgrades they are doing. His explanation being that as they take down portions to upgrade it, that lowers the overall bandwidth available to the site until it's finished.

He said the upgrades could be done by the end of June... or maybe July... but most certainly by August

I was offered either a $15/month credit for 3 months, or a one time only credit of $60something for this month. I let him know in it's current state I'm really not interested in paying for it at all, but that's the best they could do. Other than that, my options were downgrading to lite speed or something, but I often work from home and a higher upstream makes a lot of the things I do much more pleasant.

I must admit I'm still thoroughly surprised by all this. This goes completely against every experience I've had as a Shaw customer since they took over my area from Rogers in the early 2000s.

So there has either been some very poor planning with regards to how they are going about their upgrades (in terms of both implementation and communication), OR they have a bizarre idea of what's acceptable in terms of delivering service.

I strongly dislike Telus, but faced with paying nearly full price for garbage service over the next 2-5 months (and who knows how much longer? the CSRs still don't have a firm date), or just sucking it up and dealing with the pain in the ass of switching, I think that's an easy choice. I'll be booking a Telus install tomorrow, then I guess if Shaw can't get their shit together before that date comes... that's that.

nate92

join:2012-04-02
reply to dave778

Well, this is just too much to bear. Calling shaw on the phone yielded just more of the same tripe. BB50 getting 0.88 down and 0.69 up and they don't even bother to give an explanation and keep on taking my money. They said it'll clear up from anything between 1 week to multiple weeks. The earliest date for a tech to drop by is April 23rd, which I promptly declined. They also denied that this is a widespread problem. How could they even deny this? These massive slowdowns accompanied by huge packet loss are reported all over BC. Now there are reports of mass internet and HDTV outage from Vancouver to Calgary. What are they going to blame next? My router? Viruses?

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

1 edit
reply to dave778
This is starting to hit Edmonton as well. I am only getting 8 Mbps down on every Speedtest server out there, yet the latency is good.

*Edit*: Placed my order for Telus Turbo last night. You've guys have had plenty of time to get your sh** together, and this is the 6th time in 6 years where the speeds tank in nearly less than a year. I'm done.

dave778

join:2012-03-24
Vancouver, BC
reply to nate92
Main St @ 57th COMPLETELY WITHOUT INTERNET SINCE 7:00 pm. Instead of fixing the 1Mbps problem in my
ood you let it get worse.
Way to go Shaw. I've lost all respect for you as a company & provider. My internet better be back w a vengeance tomorrow at 110Mbps mofo's!!

Stan M

@shawcable.net
reply to dave778

Located in South Van - 69th and Heather. BB50.
Have complained about this issue several times but told by CSR's at Shaw that there are no local network issues and they will send a technician out on April 23!!

Obviously their CSR's do not subscribe to this forum.
FYI the Shaw Speedtest continues to show at least 45 Mbps.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to dave778
I'm working on it guys, I've escalated the issue we're seeing in Vancouver so the right eyes are on it. I'll post updates as soon as they're made available.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

pynnerz

reply to dave778
Update:

I've signed up for Telus (net, fone, hdtv), and I am killing my shaw account. Good riddance.
Shaw has handled this so freaking badly that they don't deserve any of my cash anymore.

Good luck to those who stay with shaw, I've heard this could be going on for months.

Stan M

@shawcable.net
Pynnerz

I am contemplating switching to Telus too. What is it that you have heard that gives you cause to think that this could be going on for months?

Lesaonar

join:2000-07-25
Victoria, BC
reply to pynnerz
Hope you don't have any issues with Telus, since it's far worse getting any form of resolution with them if you have problems. We had to get the BBB involved when we were with them last and all that really did was get us out of our contract.
--
Anon filter enabled. Register an account if you want to be taken seriously.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB
reply to dave778
To each their own....

I've yet to have an issue with TELUS, other than the language barriers of their call center agents.

pynnerz

reply to Stan M
I've heard it from shaw that it could be well into summer before it's corrected.. as to the cause, I dunno, shaw doesn't seem interested in sharing that info.

Only have to wait 1 week to get telus hooked up, so that's not too bad.

pynnerz

reply to Lesaonar
Well, it's either that or continue paying shaw large amounts of money for essentially nothing. I can't surf proper, can't use xboxlive nor netflix.
I won't be on a contract, so I am not too worried about it.
Usually when you sign a time based contract, bad things happen.

we'll see how it goes.

slam5
Premium
join:2003-01-10
Vancouver, BC
reply to dave778
Yes, they have a problem. i have their 50 plan and it slow so much that i can use my internet. fortunately, i have a DSL service as backup. it is SLOW but i have to bear with it. they told me their service will be slow until Summer as they are upgrading their equipment. Their only saving grace is that they gave me $ 100 credit. If you don't have much choice except with Shaw, complain to them so you will have $$ back.

pynnerz

Sure, you could complain at them till your blue in the face just to get some of your money back. But in the end, your still stuck with a crap service for an undetermined amount of time.

Been with them since they took over from Rogers, and this is the final straw.. Some one else will get a crack at my wallet.

my speeds on shaw right now:
down: 2.29 Mb/s up: 2.76 Mb/s 20 ms
That's on the BB50 package.

janstan

join:2012-04-03
Vancouver, BC
Posted here previously as Stan M.

You mentioned in another Forum that you had booked a technician visit from Shaw early April. Did he come or did you decide to switch regardless?

I have a visit scheduled for April 23 but from what I am seeing on this forum it will solve nothing and I am left with the decision to switch to Telus or stick it out.

Many of us here might welcome you posting your experience with the Telus installation and your first impressions.

pynnerz

Hey janstan,

I did book a shaw-tech, but I'm just not going to bother waiting as the scope of the problem is much larger.. What's the poor tech to do, reset the modem? lol

I would be happy to post an update about the Telus install, which will be done on friday the 13th . And I look forward to doing a review for the service..

C750

@shawcable.net
reply to dave778
Wow it's getting worse for me in Kerrisdale! This is completely unacceptable!! Telus may be getting a call soon.

janstan

Vancouver, BC
reply to pynnerz
Pynnerz

Thanks. Hope you are aware that Shaw require 10 days notice of service cancellation. Don't want them getting even more $$$ from you that they are not entitled to

Lesaonar

Victoria, BC
said by janstan:

Pynnerz

Thanks. Hope you are aware that Shaw require 10 days notice of service cancellation.

And Telus requires 30 days notice.
--

eunsong1989

join:2012-03-26
Vancouver, BC
reply to dave778
internet speed back to normal... getting 30-40 ++++ great work shaw =D

janstan

Vancouver, BC
reply to Lesaonar
Not to mention the Telus 3-year contract but your constant harking on about Telus in the Shaw section of the forum would cause us to believe you are a Telus Shill. After all your review on Telus is rather old. If you had asked me about Shaw only 3 weeks ago I would have reviewed them much more positively than I do so now.

Nevertheless it would appear that Shaw has been fixed so all may be good in Shaw land

janstan

Vancouver, BC
reply to dave778

Re: [BC] Broadband100 download speed FIXED??!!

Looks like this has been fixed. Let's hope so.

C750

@shawcable.net
reply to dave778

yay!

Lesaonar

Victoria, BC
reply to janstan
said by janstan:

Not to mention the Telus 3-year contract but your constant harking on about Telus in the Shaw section of the forum would cause us to believe you are a Telus Shill. After all your review on Telus is rather old.

How does pointing out Telus' flaws make me a Telus shill? Do you even have a clue what a shill is? And my review on Telus, or the last update to it, was in Dec of 2011 which is hardly old. We were with Telus for less than a year and have been back with Shaw since Dec 2011.
--

janstan

Vancouver, BC
This thread is discussing the problems with Shaw and not the problems with Telus.

shill: plant or stooge is a person who publicly helps a person or organization without disclosing that he or she has a close relationship with that person or organization.

Your inference of my having or not having a clue is bordering on a personal insult.

Perhaps it is you who did not understand the meaning of the word.

I did not say you were a shill - I said your constant straying from the topic would make us believe that you are.

3 months can be a long time in this industry.

Asimo

Richmond, BC
reply to dave778

Broadband 250 LOL

Douglas

@shawcable.net
reply to janstan

Re: [BC] Broadband100 download speed FIXED??!!

Yeah, everything seems to be back to normal for me too, thankfully. I wonder what changed.

dave778

join:2012-03-24
Vancouver, BC
reply to Asimo

So is everybody on broadband 100 getting 100Mbps download now?

Also is everyone on broadband 50 getting 50Mbps download now?

I'm still without internet since last night :-(

janstan

Vancouver, BC
I am now getting about 45-48 Mbps on BB50. I think that is pretty well close enough and more than I would really expect. To expect 50 or 100 Mbps is not realistic.