Re: [BC] Broadband100 download speed only 1-4Mbps - Vancouver

What part of the city are you?

dave778

join:2012-03-24
Vancouver, BC

3 edits
reply to heyman

This is not making any sense!

Janstan is getting a perfect connection as of this morning @ 69th & Heather st.

My buddy who lives on Granville & 25th was getting 1-4 Mbps for the past couple of weeks but today he's getting 42Mbps.

Pynnerz is only getting 9Mbps @ 33rd & Arbutus

Heyman only has 4Mbps at 58th & Main st.

Me I have no internet as of yesterday but before that was same as Heyman's 4Mbps (even less). I'm at 57th & Main st.

ShawSean where are u bro? We are waiting for that long awaited update u promised.

eunsong1989

join:2012-03-26
Vancouver, BC
reply to dave778

lag is back

4:54 AM

»speedtest.net/result/1874760885.png

ARRGHHHH

gibber1

@shawcable.net

Still fast this morning (41st and Maple)

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to dave778

Hey guys,

The issue that was causing the poor speeds while showing normal on the shaw speedtest has been found and our engineering teams are working on a fix as we speak.

If any of you are experiencing issues still, it may be unrelated and we'll want to investigate those reports further. Please pm me with your account details, reference this thread and we'll be in touch.

@Dave - We tried calling you several times last night to troubleshoot why your connection is down. Please let me know when the best time to reach you at is and what number.

Thanks for your patience guys, and we appreciate everyone's input in this thread.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

dave778

Vancouver, BC
reply to eunsong1989

Thanks for the update Eunsung 1989 & Gibber1.
Still no internet for me day 3

pynnerz

join:2012-04-02
reply to dave778

still crappy this morning:

8.14 Mb/s 1.65 Mb/s 43 ms

janstan

join:2012-04-03
Vancouver, BC

Still good this morning at W69th and Heather. I'm starting to get obsessed with these speed tests. I have to stop LOL

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to pynnerz

said by pynnerz:

still crappy this morning:

8.14 Mb/s 1.65 Mb/s 43 ms

said by ShawSean:

If any of you are experiencing issues still, it may be unrelated and we'll want to investigate those reports further. Please pm me with your account details, reference this thread and we'll be in touch.

PM me pynnerz so I can look into it further for you.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

pynnerz

@shawsean: Naw, there's nothing you can do as I am switching providers.. You guys had your chance.
And if there was a way to fix it, why bother me instead of just fixing it?

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

I think he's got me on ignore, haha. Regardless, I have an install date for TELUS on the 14th. Let's see if Shaw can get the rag out and fix the HUB issue by then.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 485M @ 580M : 8GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Anonymous posts are filtered.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to pynnerz

said by pynnerz:

@shawsean: Naw, there's nothing you can do as I am switching providers.. You guys had your chance.
And if there was a way to fix it, why bother me instead of just fixing it?

I didn't get the chance .

99% of the time we troubleshoot a premise issue, we have to interact with the customer. Tons of different variables involved.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

Cornat

join:2011-10-17
Kelowna, BC
reply to pynnerz

said by pynnerz:

why bother me instead of just fixing it?

As ShawSean noted, the issue with general slow speeds in Van was fixed. If you're still having problems, this would appear to be a problem only you are having at this time. If you want it fixed, I would suggest you stop refusing ShawSean's help.

pynnerz

There's no 'proof' that anything was fixed.. Many people still experiencing poor speeds.

I love how you say it MUST be a problem only I am having.. I heard that crap from the CSRs and it was wrong, as it turned out to be a citywide problem.
This kind of BS is why I am changing services. Shaw has had ample time in the last 2.5weeks to do, well, anything. Yet nothing has improved.

Keep crappin on me, it makes me only want to switch quicker.

shawsean's help = too little, too late.

Speed update: same as before.

Cornat

join:2011-10-17
Kelowna, BC

I'm not going to argue about proving whether the area issue was fixed or not, because neither of us have 'proof' either way. But you refusing help and coming here to QQ is just plain childish. Again, if you want it fixed, let him fix it.

pynnerz

For the last time:

They have had ample opportunity in the last 2.5 weeks to 'do something' about it. That time has passed, I am switching. I am not debating this with you.
Shaw has treated me like crap, and it's the last time.

Keep calling me names, it doesn't matter.

rotohoto

join:2012-03-31
canada
kudos:1
reply to ShawSean

Please don't derail the thread with bickering, let's keep this on topic.

Shawsean, I am still having issues and would very much like to get this sorted out.
I've sent you my details.

Depending on who I ask over the phone, they either say there are no issues whatsoever and it's on my end, or it's a known issue and it won't be fixed until June-August. It would be great to find out what the actual story is, as I am on BB100 and currently seeing download speeds of 10-25Mbps.... Which is definitely better than it's been over the last 2 weeks, but still not back to what it was before.

Again, any details would be great

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to dave778

Pm received, we'll be in touch this afternoon and i'll make sure we find out what exactly is causing your slowdowns.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

janstan

Vancouver, BC
reply to ShawSean

I am still getting 48-49 Mbps but I should point out that it is with a wired connection. I have not as yet had the Cisco router bridged and much slower speeds are being recorded when Wi-Fi is being used. This of course may be subject for another thread but it seems to me that the Wi-Fi portion of the Cisco modem is pretty woeful and may be the cause of many people reorting slow speeds.
FYI my laptop, right next to the router records 29 Mbps and pings 41 ms compared to the test illustrated from the wired desktop. Moving about 30 ft shows a distinct drop off to about 14 Mbps.

trusean

@shawcable.net
reply to ShawSean

Good job Shaw. Good thing I wasn't stupid and called Telus (I would never deal with thoes retards, oh wait I have a cell through them.....awe crap.)

nate92

reply to dave778

Its just too early to jump the gun and say its fixed. I pulled in 48 mbps at 5 pm Vancouver time. Now its dropped down to 6 mbps.

In Speedtest it also helps to pick servers other than Seattle and Vancouver. San Francisco server shows ~2.8 mbps. Toronto, ~3.1 mbps. Tokyo, failed to connect.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2

said by nate92:

Its just too early to jump the gun and say its fixed. I pulled in 48 mbps at 5 pm Vancouver time. Now its dropped down to 6 mbps.

In Speedtest it also helps to pick servers other than Seattle and Vancouver. San Francisco server shows ~2.8 mbps. Toronto, ~3.1 mbps. Tokyo, failed to connect.

Before you use those numbers as science, one needs to know what the available bandwidth on those servers is, and what the pipe between you and that server is and how busy it is. It's not that black and white.

The speedtest.shaw.ca site is an on-net test that gives you good results on how the Shaw part of your connection is doing.

Finding a fast speedtest.net server gives you a good reference as to how your fast your connection to server outside of Shaw can hit, but you need to find a server that has a lot of free bandwidth between you and it for the speedtest to mean anything.

An example:

If I test to tera-byte in Edmonton I get almost 50mbps, but if I test to 3web I get maybe 15mbps. This clearly just means that 3web's speedtest.net server isn't up to testing 50mbps from me.

People on here have favorite servers that they get frequently good results from, and they are wise to keep using those favorites.

My 5 cents (since the penny will soon be history).

janstan

Vancouver, BC
reply to nate92

In addition to what ravenchilde has written or perhaps to clarify even further, one has to understand that in order to reach any particular server one is connected via hops (routers) any of which may be having problems. Try a tracert to illustrate this. I personally connected to Tokyo with a ping response over 156 ms and a connection speed of 5.6 Mbps. Lots of hops to reach this and I would consider that a pretty good connection. It is completely unrealistic to expect 50 or 100 Mbps (or anything like it) from every server throughout the world. Certainly it is beyond Shaw's control.

dave778

Vancouver, BC
reply to ShawSean

Hi guys, So here's an update. After ShawSean's guy paid me a visit these are my speeds now. Though not perfect or where I'd like them to be it's a start. My friends in surrey are getting 80-90 Mbps & I am expecting this soon as well. This is with a direct wired connection. The tech that came here said that it should improve once the digital network upgrade is complete. He also said that it's the project complete date thats in July & that it does not mean we are going to have to suffer at dial up speeds until July. They are breaking the upgrade up into sections of BC. Each area should be complete from start to finish in about 3 weeks. Hope this helps. ShawSean thanks so much for your help. Tell Nathan that I appreciate the strings he pulled to get a tech here asap as well.

nate92

reply to ravenchilde

Please, lets be fair here. You guys couldn't accept the shaw speedtest results because it reported whatever it wanted. I'm pointing out that servers as close as San Francisco were reporting 2.8 mbps. I also tested 6 mbps on the Metrobridge Vancouver server which I usually get very good results from. I consistently test with these servers (the actual servers, not the location), I'm very aware of what speeds I normally pull. I tested with numerous servers, beginning with Vancouver and Burnaby, moving to Bellingham and other Seattle areas. Only then did I start testing other areas such as LA and East Coast. I also used other domestic servers such as Novus, Rogers, and of course Shaw's speed test.

And janstan, I never said that I expected 50-100 mbps across every server in the world. It just seems that everyone is insinuating that I'm being unreasonable here. It may be fine and peachy on your end, it doesn't mean its fine for everybody. I'm getting usable speeds now, but its still fluctuating wildly. By usable I mean I can finally play some BF3, which is mostly a low bandwidth, latency dependent application. I'm getting anything from between 6 to 35 mbps on the same servers. I actually stated this in my previous post (48 mbps in Vancouver, dropped to 6, same server, repeatedly tested).

I'll be clear here, I'm only expecting consistent 35 mbps speeds on local servers, which is 70% of stated speeds. This isn't too ridiculous by any stretch.

janstan

Vancouver, BC

You are quite correct at being aggrieved at your speed of 6 Mbps from the Vancouver server. I didn't notice that in your post. Sorry. That indeed is totally unacceptable. I am now getting consistently 40-48 Mbps (BB50). I too would be P.O if I was sharing your experience.

rotohoto

join:2012-03-31
canada
kudos:1
reply to nate92

Definitely appreciate the efforts of ShawSean and Nathan to reach out and communicate, thanks guys.

I'm glad the original issue that lasted from around the 23rd to the 3rd has been sorted out. I'm now no longer stuck at 1-5 Mbps.

However, now I'm kind of sitting between 10Mbps and 35Mbps during the evening, sometimes reaching as high as 50-60Mbps. Definitely a major improvement, but still not ideal for BB100 (and not what I was seeing before).

The following speedtests were done 5 minutes apart around 7pm. I've tried a number of different servers and they all show the same sporadic results.

It seems to be really up and down like that until much later on (after midnight) when I'm able to see 85+Mbps again consistently.

It's a bit frustrating that I had no issues whatsoever prior to the upgrades starting, they've confirmed that what I'm seeing now is caused by the upgrades, and there is no firm estimate for when my area will be finished. The only sure thing is that all areas will be done by the end of August.

Unfortunately the only option now is to wait until the upgrades are done... which hopefully is sooner rather than later

pynnerz

reply to dave778

The net has been brutal tonight:

Down 6.06mbps
Up .33mbps
Ping 198ms
Vancouver

Drum

join:2009-05-06

Jesus, this only tells me once they are done with Vancouver they will start going down to Burnaby, New Westminster etc until they complete this nonsense upgrade. Shitty times ahead for this summer. I guess I better book my vacation as soon as they start screwing around in my area...

Mac Write

join:2004-10-13
New Westminster, BC

With these problems, I am not sure I want to advice my work to upgrade from X-Treme to Broadband50 so we have the 5mbps upload for remote management etc.