Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms

Domain Names

I might come off as a conspiracy theorist nut here, but is there a "safe" place to check domain name availability?
Here's my theory: several times when I have checked domain name for availability, I've come back several hours later to pull the trigger and the domain has been purchased by a squatter.
Call me crazy, but I don't have any other explanation than there was some "inside job", e.g. when someone shows an interest in a domain it gets snapped up.
Is there an impartial site to check availability?
--
...because I care.

William
Premium
join:2010-04-18
Washougal, WA
Really don't know, try »www.canvasdreams.com/domain/doma···tion.php (enom reseller).

bdnhsv

join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL
reply to nunya
why not use the whois command line utility?

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to nunya
In the past I would ping the domain name I'm interested in. If it doesn't resolve to an IP address or comes back with unknown host at least then I know it's not taken. Unfortunately, some DNS servers will resolve unknown domain names to an in-house search page, like Cox does now.

I just don't trust any whois service these days to not scoop up names.

stray

join:2000-01-16
Warren, NJ
reply to nunya

bdnhsv

Huntsville, AL
reply to MarkRH
It's a protocol - not a website.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whois

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
said by bdnhsv:

It's a protocol - not a website.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whois

Yes, you are correct. The protocol itself isn't the problem. It's some of the website front-ends (usually the ones at Domain Registrars) to it that I don't really trust.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
reply to nunya
I have trusted samspade & dnsstuff for many years.

bdnhsv

Huntsville, AL
reply to MarkRH
I'm not talking about going to any website. I'm talking about using the whois command line utility at a command prompt / in a terminal window - depending on your OS. The command will still query one of the registrars (likely verisign in the US), but it has to get the info from somewhere.

William
Premium
join:2010-04-18
Washougal, WA
reply to nunya
Forgot about »dnstools.com don't know why I forgot, use that all the time. Worth a try.

netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA
kudos:1
reply to nunya
I know network solutions did it in the past, but got their hands slapped hard for doing it... ICANN started charging $0.20 per domain for excessive deletions, and tasting dropped by a lot.

I've been happy with GoDaddy not doing it, then you have sites like intodns.com dr.xoozoo.com etc. that if DNS fails, then the domian is most likely available.
Expand your moderator at work