how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zaphod351

join:2005-08-22
Beach Haven, NJ

[Troubleshooting] Wifi interference from 4G LTE Tower

So I don't know if anyone can really answer this but I'll throw it out there. A friend of mine has been using G-Band WiFi for years off there DSL with no problems. They live less than 1000 Feet away from a water tower used to stage Verizon Cell transmitters and not had an issue, till this week. Seems Verizon lit up there new LTE service on that same tower ( I am assuming this as my BIONIC screams at 20-30MB as of this weekend down there). However my friend now can't pick up her WiFi if the Laptop is more than like 10-15 feet away from the router. Anyone ever hear of this.

I am wondering if we change out the router with an N-Band one if that would help. Being so close I don't know if anything will. Anyone have any suggestions other than running CAT-5 everywhere

defiant
MVM
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI
kudos:2

I assuming the trouble with the WiFi and possible LTE launch is coincidental; Verizon LTE is outside the 2.4 GHz range. Be advised that an "N" router uses the same 2.4 GHz-band, unless it's a "dual-band", then it is capable of using the 5 GHz band.

What make/model of router is it? Are there other wireless clients off that router that are experiencing the same issue?
--
Employee of Charter Communications. The views and opinions expressed in the post above may not reflect those of my employer.

zaphod351

Beach Haven, NJ
reply to zaphod351

I'm not positive on the model, but it's one of the older (2005ish) Verizon provided all in one units, probably an Actontec Gt704WG or Westel Versalink, I didn't actually see it. To answer your question, yes everyone (3 people) who were using it now have range issues. I tested with my Droid using WiFinder and was able to pick up a signal from it when just outside the room it's in but lost it in the living room that was only 20 feet away with no walls. Coincidentally the Living Room Is closer to the cell tower and is loaded with windows. To add to this she lives across the street from a police station and fire house (with a transmitter) and about 2 Blocks from a Radio Station Tower, however they have not been an issue before, but neither has the exiting cell tower just behind the police station until now, allegedly that is. I know what your thinking 3 Transmitters??? are you kidding, were on a NJ barrier Island so things are clustered down here. While I understand what your saying about the tower being in a different Freq range it has been my experience that if your close enough to a high power transmitter you will always experience a certain amount of "bleed" into other Frequencies especially when dealing with low power transmitters like a Wifi router. This is why I'm not sure even moving into the 5Ghz band would help. I have no evidence this is actually the issue, could just be the router is going bad, but I'm working off the "what has changed" troubleshooting methodology.

defiant
MVM
join:2000-09-04
Monroe, MI
kudos:2

To go the 5 GHz range, you're gonna have to change out, not only, the router, but upgrade all the adapters in the client computers. Not a cheap proposition.

Personally, I would try changing the the current router's channel to something at least 3 away from the current channel and see if that helps. If it doesn't, it's possible the router is failing or the 2.4 Ghz band is over-utilized in your area.

There might be a free utility out there you can use to evaluate what other access points are operating, at what frequency and show the overlap between the access points. That would help identify whether 5 GHz would be a suitable option. I use "WiFi Analyzer" on my Droid phone...
--
Employee of Charter Communications. The views and opinions expressed in the post above may not reflect those of my employer.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Metrocast Commun..

A very good free utility for viewing wireless networks and their settings is WirelessNetView: »www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_n···iew.html
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

zaphod351

Beach Haven, NJ
reply to zaphod351

Thanks for the input guys. I think step 1 here is the free, if not most likely the aggravating path of working with Verizon Support and just report the routers range has fallen very short of what it should be and see if they will swap it out. The other suggestion I made to her was simply putting a repeater or another access point in the room that's not getting signal. But from what I'm hearing here, the theory of the 4G tower causing the issue does not hold water, correct? I know I'm going to have a near impossible task of convincing VZW of that anyway.

beck
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road
kudos:1
reply to zaphod351

Does anyone else have verizon that can bring over their router to see if it works better than the one there? Or take her router to their house and see if it works better?

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
reply to zaphod351

Has your electric company installed those new meters for wireless meter reading? They have been reported to interfere with Wi-Fi signals.

zaphod351

Beach Haven, NJ
reply to zaphod351

No wireless Meter's as of yet on the Island. My friend actually lives on top of a store front and has 3 tenant stores so they have 6 sub meters for all the different spaces, none with RF. She did get a hold of Verizon today and they said "It Might" be from the new tower but that her router is old and should be replaced, so they are sending her a new one. She also added she has spoken to the Police dispatchers across the street, they have confirmed with Verizon officials the tower was "lit" 3 minutes prior to her issues beginning and other people in the immediate vicinity have been "bitching up a storm" about interference from this thing. The FCC was called in once before when the radio station that owns the transmitter 2 blocks away wanted to increase their wattage, so if it's as much of an issue as it sounds they may be here again. Stay tuned.....

iFail 5G

join:2011-08-03
reply to zaphod351

said by zaphod351:

So I don't know if anyone can really answer this but I'll throw it out there. A friend of mine has been using G-Band WiFi for years off there DSL with no problems. They live less than 1000 Feet away from a water tower used to stage Verizon Cell transmitters and not had an issue, till this week. Seems Verizon lit up there new LTE service on that same tower ( I am assuming this as my BIONIC screams at 20-30MB as of this weekend down there). However my friend now can't pick up her WiFi if the Laptop is more than like 10-15 feet away from the router. Anyone ever hear of this.

I am wondering if we change out the router with an N-Band one if that would help. Being so close I don't know if anything will. Anyone have any suggestions other than running CAT-5 everywhere

I know this really isn't what you want to head, but there is almost no chance of LTE affecting WiFi or anything else because they are using a government allocated, dedicated C block of 700mhz with guard bands implemented to not affect anything else, especially with WiFi being that much higher up frequency wise.

The only time we have had huge problems with interference was before the *rebanding* of NEXTEL and other iDEN SMR units, but that has since been well taken care of.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
reply to zaphod351

said by zaphod351:

I tested with my Droid using WiFinder and was able to pick up a signal from it when just outside the room it's in but lost it in the living room that was only 20 feet away with no walls.

With this bit of information, I would be looking less at possible interference, and more at maybe the 7 year old router going bad...
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!