uniqs

Jon Geb
Long time member
join:2001-01-09
Howell, MI

Jon Geb to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd

Re: Wired internet is dying

Did you see the new WiFi protocol that was introduced to address this very issue. Seemless handoff between WiFi and native cell networks... its based on sim card authentication.

»Authentication-Free Wi-Fi Coming Soon [19] comments

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by Jon Geb:

Seemless handoff between WiFi and native cell networks...

Not sure I understand your argument.

That is an emerging technology that allows cell phone data to transparently move data across the traditional cell phone network and Wi-Fi. It is a clever authentication scheme that will reduce transport cost by removing large amount of traffic off the traditional cellular network and on to Wi-Fi LANs.

How do you think this massive amount of Wi-Fi data is transported? In almost all cases over wired networks.

As Sammer See Profile posted wireless networks are great where mobility is important but that traffic is ultimately transported over wired infrastructure. We need a FTTP infrastructure. Once that is in place high performance wireless using a combination of cellular and Wi-Fi technology is feasible.

/Tom

Jon Geb
Long time member
join:2001-01-09
Howell, MI

Jon Geb

I think the correct way I should have worded this is that wired consumer internet is dying... End user connections are going completely wireless, exactly why Verizon is trying to distance itself, way too expensive.