spc
Search similar:

uniqs

tHRASHOR
@cgocable.net

tHRASHOR

Anon

USB WIN8 INTALL

I have a win 8 install usb copy and want to determine if i can use this to make a separate usb drive installation of this ....? install usb is "m" and the usb drive is "n" that i would like to install to... so is this possible and how might i make this possible as i do not want to use any hard drive at this time but would rather use the usb as a hard drive to install to and boot from ?
thanks

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob

I would love it if that were possible but it is not.

Dave

thrashor
@telus.com

thrashor

Anon

Thanks for your help Dave. I was hoping that I could specify the flash drive letter during the set up routine. I believe that I have done this with LINUX although I'm not sure if this is a performance problem by running the OS in this way.
Thrashor
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Running an os off a flash drive is very slow, and not recommended. *nix is more portable than Windows generally anyway. I've ran portable apps off a flash drive I had, and the speed was very noticeably slower to the point it was better to copy the portable app to the hdd first.

When I installed Win 8 I put it on a hdd I had laying around. Not everyone has them just laying around, but at any rate I do. I put Win 8 on a older computer which still has ide connections, and a old smaller ide drive I don't use anymore. I didn't check the hdd speed, but even if it was only a 5400 rpm it was quite responsive, however I haven't purposefully bought a hdd slower than 7200 rpm for a long time.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to thrashor

to thrashor
said by thrashor :

Thanks for your help Dave. I was hoping that I could specify the flash drive letter during the set up routine. I believe that I have done this with LINUX although I'm not sure if this is a performance problem by running the OS in this way.
Thrashor

Yes, Linux can be installed on a USB drive. But I guess due to M$ licensing they don't allow it on a device which could potentially be shared among PCs.

It's monstrous but my hands are tied.

I REALLY would LOVE to do that.

Dave

thrashor
@cgocable.net

thrashor

Anon

thanks again so much for this input