spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rickkins

join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Can I block a specific number with Vonage...

ifso, how...???

Thanks.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

No, you can't, and their Anonymous Call Block feature doesn't work very well either. I have Anonymous Call Block enabled, and such calls still reach my phone. Vonage's idea of Anonymous Call Block is apparently that the user should look at the Caller ID (or lack thereof) on the phone.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

Can't say as I've ever received an anonymous call through my Vonage.

My sister has one of those free cell phones and it is set to dial out as an anonymous number, for some reason, and she can't call me.

It even blocked their support people when I called them one time when I first got Vonage, and just before you walked me through setting up adapter behind router and what IP to assign the adapter in my router. Remember that experience?!

The lady I was talking to had to call me back to test what we were working on. She was able to determine I had that blocked and was able to bypass it though. Wonder how many other company's know how to do that?

Sure wish I could block 1-800 type numbers though.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

Glad to hear that the Anonymous Call Block works for you, but I have found it to be unreliable (of course, it may also block some anonymous calls too, and I would not be aware that had happened).

The bogus anonymous calls go to my phone, but don't show up on the incoming call list on the Vonage web site. Because of that, I have never bothered to try to get Vonage to fix it, since their records show that I don't get any anonymous calls.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

cork1958
Cork
Premium

You are correct in that it is actually very difficult to verify if it's working or not when nothing shows up on their website as any type call. Who knows, maybe I've just never received an anonymous call, other than my sister. I'm almost positive that she has played with the settings in her phone and doesn't know what she did to make her phone that way.

I guess I would have to ask if you've ever tried answering one of those anonymous calls, although I'm sure you have? If you have, is there actually someone on the other end, or is that where it might get blocked at?
--
The Firefox alternative.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
reply to Rickkins

Your hometown Montreal company Voip.MS offers this capability, as does CallCentric, VOIPo, and other modern VoIP providers.

Vonage is reliable and has many nice features, but in this area they are literally years behind.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to cork1958

said by cork1958:

I guess I would have to ask if you've ever tried answering one of those anonymous calls, although I'm sure you have? If you have, is there actually someone on the other end, or is that where it might get blocked at?

No I have never bothered to answer any anonymous call. I would not have enabled the Anonymous Call Block feature if I wanted to receive such calls. There is no legitimate reason for anyone to block their name and/or telephone number from displaying in the called party's Caller ID display, and I have no desire to communicate with anyone who does so. Would you open your front door at 03:00 AM to someone wearing a loose fitting hoody and a mask and invite them to enter?

If that restrictive policy means that I have missed a chance to be notified that I have won the Nigerian lottery, I can live with that.

The screen shot below is the official Vonage documentation on what "anonymous" calls are blocked (and those calls should never reach your telephone). There does appear to be a loophole whereby someone who does simply block both their name and telephone number would not be blocked by Vonage's Anonymous Call Block feature. However, I have received calls with "Anonymous", "PRIVATE", and "WITHHELD" (as well as calls with truly anonymous blank data in the Caller ID screen) even with the Anonymous Call Block feature enabled.

--

cork1958
Cork
Premium

Slightly radical analogy as far as "open your front door at 03:00 AM to someone wearing a loose fitting hoody and a mask" when we're simply discussing answering some unidentified phone call, within the confines of your home and hopefully NOT at 3:00am!

I know where you're coming from though so no need to carry on discussion and get all off topic again!!

Use to see those private and what not type displays all the time on Frontier!
--
The Firefox alternative.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to Rickkins

They do make a phone that allows you to block a number so when it ring in it will answer it then it drop the call because I have the phone like that and it works the best.

Its called uniden 6.0 dect cell link. »www.uniden.com/bluetooth-phones/···d32802g/

montysimmons

join:2003-10-16
Easley, SC

1 edit

I know this option will be a pain in the behind, but it is an option.

Google Voice is a free service which allows you to select a "real" google voice phone number.

You get to select any Google voice phone number available and apparently it can have any area code in the United States. The google voice phone number looks like any other US phone number.

(Just and FYI - consider this - if you have a friend that lives in California and you live in North Carolina (for example), get a google voice phone number that is local to California and your friend can call you as a "local" call using such google voice number).

Calls to the Google voice number are forwarded to the number or numbers you provide (such as your Vontage number).

Google voice asks the caller to say something (i.e. their Name) and then announces the call and gives you the option to talk or not.

In any event, Google voice makes it VERY easy to block callers so the unwanted calls only get to you once and you don't even have to answer that call.

Of course, people can still call your direct number if they know it but you will know right away it is not a google voice call and hang up if you wish.

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

The biggest problem with your Google Voice example is that it in no way actually blocks the call. Your phone still rings and wakes you up at 03:00 AM even for a caller that you would rather not talk to at any time, and certainly not at 03:00 AM.

Perhaps Google Voice really does have a true call blocking feature (I have not investigated it because I do not want to have any business dealings with Google), but the example you presented is in no way a call blocking feature.

Hint: With true call blocking, your phone should not ring.
--

montysimmons

join:2003-10-16
Easley, SC

1 edit

Click for full size
Well, a call can get through once . . . then you can block it. I suspect one has to let a first call get through with any call block feature.

Google logs every call it handles, just like Vontage, and one of the options for each call is to block that number. That call will not get through again nor will it ring your phone.

Here is a screen shot of the call blocking service.

Google plays the "Not in Service" message ("We're sorry. The number you have dialed . . .") - the call will not be forwarded to your phone, thus, your phone will not ring.

Note that you can access your Google Voice message on Google and the phone Google Voice forwards your calls to and Google sends you an e-mail with the audio file and text (if it can transcribe the voice message).

seahorse12

join:2012-04-08
reply to Rickkins

as for as i know it can be possible

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by seahorse12:

as for as i know it can be possible

Would you please provide some details? I think many Vonage users would like to know how to do this.
--

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to NetFixer

Oh! Really?!?!

said by NetFixer:

... There is no legitimate reason for anyone to block their name and/or telephone number from displaying in the called party's Caller ID display...

Think outside the box ... put yourself in someone else's position rather than thinking only about your personal usage and needs.

In my forty years of medical group practice, before call blocking, I would have a need to return nighttime or weekend urgent/emergency patient calls from my home phone ... on my "on call" days/nights (one of every four weekdays MON-THU and one of every four weekends FRI-SAT-SUN), given that we were a group of four doctors.  Well-intentioned patients would tend to jot down my home number ... and weeks or months or even years later would call me in the middle of the night at home ... on a night when one of my partners was taking call.

In response, I would use #67 for one-time outgoing CallerID Blocking when returning patient calls.  This became problematic because many folks had "anonymous" calls permanently blocked on their end, thus my call would not go through.  So I developed a plan wherein, if my return call was blocked, I would call my answering service and have them call the patients to give them 5 minutes to unblock "anonymous" Call Blocking ... and then I would call the patients back (with my number still blocked).

With my eventual switch to all-VoIP/Cellular ... I no longer have landlines in my NJ and FL homes, just VoIP and Cellular ... I have solved the problem very nicely.  I have a basic Pay-As-You-Go 99¢ per month phone number from Voip.ms which forwards incoming calls to "silly" terminations (see below) so I can call out but they can't call in. And when I'm away from home, I have the DISA on the same account set to recognize my cell phone number, providing a second dial tone through which I can dial the patient's number, enter my PIN, and show my Voip.ms number as the CallerID.  At a penny per minute plus the 99¢ monthly charge (with no add'l taxes, surcharges, E911 fees), my costs are minimal on an annual basis ... ~$12 for service + ~$5.00 for ~500 minutes = ~$17.00 for the entire year!

So if a patient or other unwelcome callers call my Voip.ms number (especially now that I'm retired), they are forwarded to one of the following:

• 631-265-0000 Pay Phone message "The call you have made requires a coin deposit..."
• 218-488-1302 Psych Hot Line
• 631-360-0000 Hold for Physician
• 973-474-9051 Telemarketers Nightmare
• 212-757-9901 No LD Carrier Designated
• 360-515-4462 Screaming Monkeys

Note: These numbers may not be reachable from all carrier's phone numbers.
Expand your moderator at work

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to N9MD

Re: Oh! Really?!?!

In an office with 4 doctors + ?? assistants... why not use a proper VoIP based PBX (Avaya, Cisco etc... ) with softphones for off premise use. Then you could simply log into your softphone from home when you are on call and all calls show a proper and legal caller ID of your office...
I for one would never allow private calls - if a doctor's office would insist on the same I would switch doctors very quickly - it's simply not professional....
--
I am addicted to speed --- Boost + speed that is ---

NetFixer
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast

said by blohner:

In an office with 4 doctors + ?? assistants... why not use a proper VoIP based PBX (Avaya, Cisco etc... ) with softphones for off premise use. Then you could simply log into your softphone from home when you are on call and all calls show a proper and legal caller ID of your office...
I for one would never allow private calls - if a doctor's office would insist on the same I would switch doctors very quickly - it's simply not professional....

--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower