share rss forum feed

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

[Other] Hehe

I went to this page to see what it said for my OS,etc...

»support.microsoft.com/gp/admin

It said this

quote:
We identified that you are using: You identified that you are using:

Operating system: Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008
Architecture: 64-bit (x64 | IA-64)
Browser: Internet Explorer 8
Hehe,im running Win98se with IE6!! (32 bit)

I like the fact it cant determine what im running.. (Privacy is good)

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
said by Dude111:

I went to this page to see what it said for my OS,etc...

»support.microsoft.com/gp/admin

It said this

quote:
We identified that you are using: You identified that you are using:

Operating system: Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008
Architecture: 64-bit (x64 | IA-64)
Browser: Internet Explorer 8
Hehe,im running Win98se with IE6!! (32 bit)

I like the fact it cant determine what im running.. (Privacy is good)

The page could look up this referral url if anyone clicked it to determine you were on win98

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Dude111

Whadda ya mean buddy??

I clicked it even before i posted this thread..

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Dude111

Re: [Other] Hehe

How is not determining what OS you're running have anything to do with privacy?

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Dude111
Click for full size
This is what I get
I think my setup is even better! All I get is a blank screen!

--Brian

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2
reply to Dude111
said by howardfine:

How is not determining what OS you're running have anything to do with privacy?

It doesn't, really. In fact, almost everyone in the entire world knows pretty much everything there is to know about our good friend, the Dude111.
(Even what OS he's running. He tells us almost every day).
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show

join:2000-01-05
Quincy, MA
kudos:1
reply to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

I think my setup is even better! All I get is a blank screen!

--Brian

That's exactly the same thing I get. Could that be an omen? Asking the OP to get help now?

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Dude111

Ya it was quite slow when i tried it just now!! (It did come up with the same thing though)

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to Dude111

Click for full size
From IE9
I wonder if there is some kind of issue right now on the Microsoft side of things. I say that because when I run IE9 (either 32 bit or 64 bit), I get the message above.

The OS I'm running is Windows 7 Enterprise x64. Knowing this is a Microsoft Page, and I'm running a current Microsoft OS and their browser, it should be able to determine everything fine.

When I got the blank page, I was using Waterfox 11 as my browser on the same system.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

I'd say that result is as good as mine

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Dude111

I get exactly the same response as the OP ("Operating system: Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, Architecture: 64-bit (x64|IA-64), Browser: Internet Explorer 8") when I visit the site using Win7-64 and Opera with JavaScript disabled and with Opera set to identify itself as Opera. If I then restart the browser (to clear history/cache/cookies) and revisit the site with Opera's browser JavaScript enabled, I get a completely different page having no 'results', but that instead directs me to manually verify my OS and browser versions and to determine whether I'm logged in using an admin account. Thus, it would seem the site (to get "automatic" results) relies on both JavaScript being enabled and admin access to the visiting computer/OS for doing its magic... and those of us who don't browse that way get strange/erroneous results.
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
said by Blackbird:

Thus, it would seem the site (to get "automatic" results) relies on both JavaScript being enabled and admin access to the visiting computer/OS for doing its magic... and those of us who don't browse that way get strange/erroneous results.

Well, I am not sure about that. I just logged into the local admin account on my system, and used IE9. I did verify that JavaScript is enabled. Yet, I get the same thing as I posted (asking me to verify my settings).

If it does not work while running as the local admin, then how does it work?

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Exidor
Premium
join:2001-05-04
Brampton, ON
I don't know where the Dude111 comes up with some of his links but this one looks like it is/was intended for WinXP systems only.

Any WinXP users care to verify?

How it qualifies as a "privacy" test anyway puzzles me as well.

An entertaining thread nonetheless.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Blackbird

quote:
Thus, it would seem the site (to get "automatic" results) relies on both JavaScript being enabled and admin access to the visiting computer/OS for doing its magic... and those of us who don't browse that way get strange/erroneous results.
Yea when i enable scripting i get the same results EXCEPT IT SAYS IM USING IE7 INSTEAD OF 8..

Not a very good page if it only is meant for XP..

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Dude111

I get nothing[firefox]
I don't do IE so i'll let others test that
I don't use script or popup blockers either.

CovMac
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Covington, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Exidor
said by Exidor:

I don't know where the Dude111 comes up with some of his links but this one looks like it is/was intended for WinXP systems only.

Any WinXP users care to verify?

How it qualifies as a "privacy" test anyway puzzles me as well.

An entertaining thread nonetheless.

It works correctly on XP with IE8 (XP mode running inside WIN7 Pro), but not on WIN7 Pro 64bit with IE8.
--
Mac

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to Dude111
Click for full size
Interesting
I did some playing around with the webpage. If I run IE 9 x64, and hit the refresh (or reload..whatever that button is to reload the webpage), this screen flashes for about a second before it goes blank.

So, it appears to do something (even though it says I'm running Vista or 2008, and IE 7), the info it shows does not stay up very long at all.

Makes me wonder where the OP did find this link? Sure, it is Microsoft, but how old is it?

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
reply to Dude111
Not a privacy detection by any means - It's just that the particular page is poorly coded.

Looking at the source code, it runs loops looking for versions of XP or higher and also with what version of IE, no other browser is tested for.

There is a last line for Win95/Win98/ME, but it's looking for MSIE 4, then it trips to "unknown" which is why it's showing the first choice in the IF loop (your result) when those first variables aren't found. They blew the loop there with no other "else" being unknown if not MSIE 4, so the "first" in the loop is showing (again, your result).

This makes sense since with XP 32bit using FF I get your same result (Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, 64, IE8) but if I use IE, then I get the correct OS, version type and browser.

I'm guessing you are only supposed to be at the page to update MS products available - which if you don't have the versions they are looking for, you shouldn't even be on that page anyway (in their logic).

Either way, unless you mask your userAgent, the web logs will know your browser, OS, etc., same as seen in your login profile here at DSLR: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:10.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0

-Jim

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net
said by JALevinworth :

This makes sense since with XP 32bit using FF I get your same result (Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, 64, IE8) but if I use IE, then I get the correct OS, version type and browser.

To clarify, I get that result with FF only after allowing their script w/noscript. Otherwise, I get blank too.