Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4

3 edits
reply to Bill_MI

Re: WPS / Reaver

said by Bill_MI:

No need! Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS), the vulnerable feature, isn't on older routers. Nor is it on DD-WRT or Tomato. Newer routers only. The details: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup

Do you see a WPS screen somewhere in your setup pages?

I do. They just renamed it.

It's not in DD-WRT or Tomato, but it most certainly is a default for this model. Look at the "power" button.

And this from the product guide.

From the FAQ: »www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?···5057.xml

quote:
5. What is Secure Easy Setup™ (SES)?

It's an easy way to setup wireless settings on both the router and wireless adapter.

6. How does Secure Easy Setup™ (SES) work?

There is a button on the router (Cisco Systems emblem) that the user may push that will automatically generate a Wireless Network Name or SSID (For example: Linksys_SES_4723) and WPA PSK. Then, in the WLAN software and/or setup CD, the customer will click the Secure Easy Setup™ button. Once both buttons are pushed, a profile will automatically be created in the WLAN containing the unique SSID and WPA PSK. At that point, a secure wireless connection is established.

7. Will I be able to setup more than one wireless computer using Secure Easy Setup™ SES?

Yes, as long as the wireless adapter supports Secure Easy Setup™ (SES). The SSID and WPA key won’t change each time you press it as long as the router’s Reset button doesn't get pushed.
It's enabled by default BTW.

--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

1 edit
said by caffeinator:

I do. They just renamed it.

Apples and oranges. SES is from Broadcom, WPS is from Wifi Aliiance.

Did you find any flaw reported for SES? Not that there couldn't be. The WPS flaw is an unintended feedback about the PIN number***. I didn't think SES uses PINs?

*** Linksys added their own flaw... NOT being able to really disable it.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
WA, USA

1 edit
said by Bill_MI:

Apples and oranges. SES is from Broadcom, WPS is from Wifi Aliiance.

Did you find any flaw reported for SES? Not that there couldn't be. The WPS flaw is an unintended feedback about the PIN number***. I didn't think SES uses PINs?

*** Linksys added their own flaw... NOT being able to really disable it.

Hmmm, my bad...ack!

Not sure what to think about this since I'm not actually using the router at the moment, but it seems you are right about them being different. So, no idea if SES is also vulnerable or not without more research but it seems it isn't. Weird.

By Paul Asadoorian, Larry Pesce

click to read better

I know mine does have a "pin" mentioned in the wireless setup, but I don't use wi-fi, so I tend to ignore that stuff. I've always just disabled wi-fi on everything and used good 'ol cables.

I think I'll leave the radio off until I can get DD-WRT on there, just in case.
--

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
Well don't get any ideas with the v2 because Linksys is specifically designing the new routers to NOT be third party firmware supported, even taking it as far as writing the firmware in house instead of by an outside company.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
WA, USA
No worries, I have checked and it's supported:

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Li···_%26_7.2

Mine is a WRT54GS v7.50, but I saw on DD-WRT forums where it has been used.
--

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
oh ok yeah the WRT54G is supported yes, I was afraid you were going to try to do this on one of the new E4200v2 routers which don't use ODM'd code lol.