TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf

Re: WPS / Reaver

said by Mike Wolf:

Hmm, Not sure what you mean by disable WPS when I simply go into the web interface and choose "manual" instead of leaving it on Wi-Fi Protected Setup. That in itself disables the WPS.

It would seem so doesn't it? Except all recent Linksys routers stay vulnerable even when you do that. Until their new firmware really does turn it off. Fun, huh?

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Dunno. I personally haven't had any problems. I know that Windows 7 has the WPS ability built in, and I notice two routers under Network Infrastructure when the WPS is enabled, and disappears into only one when WPS is disabled.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

Dunno. I personally haven't had any problems. I know that Windows 7 has the WPS ability built in, and I notice two routers under Network Infrastructure when the WPS is enabled, and disappears into only one when WPS is disabled.

The data comes from the attack tool (named "Reaver") still cracking the PIN and getting access, regardless the setting.

The best data I know of is: »docs.google.com/spreadsh ··· SSHZEN3c

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

thats interesting, but another option would be to use WPA2 Enterprise and attach a RADIUS server.
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer to Bill_MI

Premium Member

to Bill_MI
said by Bill_MI:

It would seem so doesn't it? Except all recent Linksys routers stay vulnerable even when you do that. Until their new firmware really does turn it off. Fun, huh?

Actually, this isn't exactly the same. With older versions of the firmware you didn't really have an option to "turn off" WPS. You could either pick "Manual" or "WPS" but selecting Manual did not turn off WPS (this was the issue). Cisco is releasing updated firmware that does allow WPS to explicitly be turned off, and the Feb release for the V1 routers is the first of these updates.

I have not seen any screenshots of the new firmware or any further discussion on this update so I wouldn't know if this setting now disables WPS, or if a new option was added to disable it. The google docs spreadsheet page doesn't appear to have been updated or make any notes about being able to disable WPS with the latest firmware (IE: that page is out of date)

The Cisco page listing the routers that have this update is at »www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/u ··· id=25154

There had been a posting in Cisco's forums that enabling MAC address filtering on the AP disabled WPS, but it isn't clear to me that this truly disables it rather than providing an extra control (IE: only authorized hardware addresses may use WPS). It is well known that hardware addresses are easily spoofed, so if the latter this is not much protection but if the former (IE: even authorized MAC addresses can not use WPS) it may be a potential workaround.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 edit

Bill_MI

MVM

Click for full size
E3200 f/w ver 1.0.03 Mar 2012
said by Shady Bimmer:

I have not seen any screenshots of the new firmware or any further discussion on this update so I wouldn't know if this setting now disables WPS, or if a new option was added to disable it. The google docs spreadsheet page doesn't appear to have been updated or make any notes about being able to disable WPS with the latest firmware (IE: that page is out of date)

Here's a screen shot and a revelation...

In that spreadsheet (»docs.google.com/spreadsh ··· SSHZEN3c) the E3200 occurs twice, including the latest 1.0.03. Looks like Reaver is STILL cracking it if I read that right - Item 44. Not good.
circade
join:2002-08-23
Minneapolis, MN

circade

E3200 1.0.03 firmware adds two things:
1. Disable/Enable WPS
2. WPS lockdown (when WPS is enabled)

Disabling WPS will stop the Reaver crack.

With WPS lockdown, the router is suppose to lockdown WPS after a certain number of unsuccessful attempts. One person at the Cisco forum claims the lockdown is not working: »homecommunity.cisco.com/ ··· p/497518
circade

circade

Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer to Bill_MI

Premium Member

to Bill_MI
said by Bill_MI:

Here's a screen shot and a revelation...

Your snapshot looks different that that of circade See Profile below and seems to be missing the option that was added to disable WPS. Something seems very odd there.

That spreadsheet, unfortunately, does not make any note of whether or not WPS can be disabled or whether the attempt was made while it was set to 'disabled'. It is difficult to put much weight on a doc only populated by unsubstantiated user feedback, particularly when it is missing a key piece of information. In the forum thread noted by circade See Profile below one poster confirms he was instructed how to properly disable WPS, but that when enabled the lockdown is not working. That would seem to hint that you can disable WPS with the new firmware, but it may not be clear how to do so.
circade
join:2002-08-23
Minneapolis, MN

circade

It's the GUI that looks confusing, but when you toggle between 'Manual' and 'Wi-Fi Protected Setup', it will bring up a different page.

To disable WPS, you first have to click on 'Wi-Fi Protected Setup', then click 'Disabled'. Then click on Manual to bring you back to the wireless settings. It took me a couple minutes to figure that out on my e4200 v1.

Cisco should redesign that page. It comes back to how people thought clicking on Manual automatically turned off WPS, but it really does not.

planet
join:2001-11-05
Oz

planet

So far, no firmware update for the Linksys E1000..latest firmware dated August 2011.