uniqs
Spice300
Premium Member
join:2006-01-10

3 edits

Spice300

Premium Member

[Exede] Viasat-1 Gateways

I found a map showing the locations of the gateways for Viasat-1 in FCC International Bureau Presentation, Viasat, April 13, 2011.

There appear to be 16 gateways in the U.S. and 4 in Canada. My list is incomplete with 7 of them being identified only by state:

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Anchorage, Alaska
Boise, Idaho
Denver, Colorado
Fort McMurray, Canada
Juneau, Alaska
Milford, Utah
Rapid City, South Dakota
Saskatoon, Canada
St. Johns, Canada
Tuscon, Arizona
Winnipeg, Canada
Hawaii
Montana
Nevada
New Mexico
Texas
Texas
Wyoming

Does anyone have a map for Viasat-1 that relates the spot beams to the gateways?

(March 28, 2012) Updated list of gateways for Viasat-1:

Albuquerque, New Mexico (beams 342)
Amarillo, Texas (beams 303)
Anchorage, Alaska
Boise, Idaho
Bozeman, Montana
Englewood, Colorado
Ellis, Kansas
Fort McMurray, Canada
Green River, Wyoming
Juneau, Alaska
Kapolei, Hawaii
Lovelock, Nevada
Milford, Utah
Sanderson, Texas
Saskatoon, Canada
St. Johns, Canada
Summerset, South Dakota
Tornillo, Texas
Tucson, Arizona
Winnipeg, Canada
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

1 edit

Liberty

Premium Member

I am in Tucson and currently host two canaries, one each for two beams

I am certain Phoenix has one gateway - not for Viasat1
I am not certain but pretty durn sure Tucson does not have a VS1 gateway

This thread had me googling for "tucson viasat network operation center" - no hits

I realize the map shows otherwise
Don't know what to say about that...

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by Liberty:

certain Phoenix has one gateway - not for Viasat1

NE of TUSCON, AZ and East of Phoenix is one ViaSat Gateway, around Safford. Unknown if it uses Denver or Salt Lake City server farm
Spice300
Premium Member

Spice300

Premium Member

I am not sure if Wildblue calls it the Tuscon gateway. That was my guess from the map.

The Phoenix gateway services the spot beams that Wildblue uses on the satellite AMC-15. I am not sure if it services any other spot beams.
marsh_0x
join:2006-04-25
Tomahawk, WI

marsh_0x

Hi
I'll image the print out when Dish Network installed Excede a few wonderful weeks ago, 15-17Mb/s
Only the page 2 of 3 without my personal info included
marsh_0x

marsh_0x

Edit if this helps better, doing a rectangular capture (Faststone last freeware) of page 3 to protect my info, for what it's worth

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by marsh_0x:

doing a rectangular capture (Faststone last freeware) of page 3 to protect my info, for what it's worth

FYI, that WB-1 info points back to a specific user. On Exede, that APA/ModemKey and Long/Lat should point back to an user. But, in either case, only Exede would know who.

Gateway Amarillo is puzzling, but beam 303 is specific geographical area to where you live. There are at least three Texas Gateways, with one being due south of Amarillo, and another SW of Amarillo.
Spice300
Premium Member

1 edit

Spice300

Premium Member

Thanks for the help, Marsh.

It looks like the one year old map that I found is inaccurate.

Edit: Your gateway might be in Amarillo, New Mexico.
Spice300

Spice300

Premium Member

I found confirmation of 20 gateways for Viasat-1 in Suing Space Systems/Loral Costing ViaSat $1 Million per Quarter, Space News, Peter B. de Selding, 7 February, 2012:
quote:
To accompany the gradual introduction of ViaSat-1 — about 75 percent of its 20 ground gateways have been activated, with the rest to come on line by the end of February

DrStrangLov
@12.189.32.x

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by Spice300:

I found confirmation of 20 gateways

I would suspect one Gateway could represent one Earth Station..if true, then two Earth Stations at one location would denote two Gateways....as in that set of Western Kansas Gateways in one location.

Maybe Gregg knows more here?
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov to Liberty

to Liberty
said by Liberty:

I am certain Phoenix has one gateway - not for Viasat1

It's for ViaSat's Augumented Beams...Plans with 5 mbps to 10 mbps speeds. Here's a Testmy taken this afternoon: »testmy.net/db/KSufQTP

I understand in this one example, Riverside's Beam 113 (163) is using Phoenix's Gateway. Here's abbreviated Tracert:

5 635 ms 10.74.xxx.xx
6 638 ms vlan263.car1.Phoenix1.Level3.net

I'm getting a headache now...this would suggest they turned off this Riverside WB-1 beam, and then turned it back on in Phoenix one day.
said by marsh_0x:

RE: Gateway Amarillo

I double checked my info, and it is Amarillo, NM, as Spice indicated.
Spice300
Premium Member

Spice300

Premium Member

The sources for the Amarillo gateway are contradictory. The map above suggests Ojo Amarillo, New Mexico. The other one lists the state as New Mexico, but the street address, county, latitude and longitude point at Texas. On Google Map the latitude and longitude point at a vacant lot which probably means the satellite photo was taken before the gateway was constructed. For now, I will assume it is Amarillo, Texas.

xmas2000
Premium Member
join:2012-01-02

xmas2000 to Spice300

Premium Member

to Spice300
said by Spice300:

(March 28, 2012) Updated list of gateways for Viasat-1:

Albuquerque, New Mexico (beams 342)
Amarillo, Texas (beams 303)
Anchorage, Alaska
Boise, Idaho
Bozeman, Montana
Englewood, Colorado
Ellis, Kansas
Fort McMurray, Canada
Green River, Wyoming
Juneau, Alaska
Kapolei, Hawaii
Lovelock, Nevada
Milford, Utah
Summerset, South Dakota
Sanderson, Texas
Saskatoon, Canada
St. Johns, Canada
Tornillo, Texas
Tucson, Arizona
Winnipeg, Canada

If you look at the map I don't see any gateway near Amarillo, TX...
But if you look at New Mexico in the upper left corner there is a town called Ojo Amarillo, New Mexico maybe that is it? New Mexico has two gateways.
Just a thought
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by xmas2000:

Ojo Amarillo, New Mexico maybe that is it?

After examining physical address and GPS coordinates given, this Gateway points to AMARILLO, TX; and there is an empty lot there for a Gateway. Google Maps has older dated map of 2010.

Further, it would make no sense to send ground transmissions to Ft Worth if Gateway was in New Mexico...Denver would be the logical choice (shortest distance).
DrStrangLov

DrStrangLov to Spice300

to Spice300
Confirmed:

Anik F2: 62

WB-1: 163

are both using same Phoenix Gateway. I would assume Anik F2: 12, and WB-1: 113 are united with these Exede beams via Adaptive Coding and Modulation...but I have not confirmed this yet.