Boca Raton, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

[Voip.ms] Anonymous/0000000000 incoming CID

Curious happenings led to my revisiting the 000-000-0000 CID issue.   Although there is an old thread from 2010 about this CID, it deals with outgoing CID from Voip.ms customers.  Very little has been posted about incoming 0000000000 CallerID.

For several months, I have been receiving calls to my ATT Mobile number from 214-377-5991 (a Dallas TX number).  I never answer calls from area codes that are unfamiliar to me, anticipating that any legitimate caller would leave a voice message.  And over the years, I have chosen not to block anonymous calls for a variety of reasons.

According to »www.800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-214-377-5991, junk calls from 214-377-5991 have been received by lots of folks since at least December of 2009 right up through the present.  The content of these calls does not appear to have a single theme.  Calls arrive at all hours and repeatedly within the same day with a variety of messages:  asking for social security numbers … reporting cancelled ATM cards … shouting a stream of epithets … playing loud music … even asking for the called party by the correct name at times.

For me, the calls have tended to arrive only once a day, generally in mid-morning, for several days in a row ... then they stop for a few days ... and this pattern repeats.  I have seldom been bothered with multiple daily calls.  I have never answered any of these calls ... and no voice message has ever been left.

Now to the specifics of my curiosity:
•  The calls are actually coming in on one of my Voip.ms DIDs with that account's
Call Detail Record showing "0000000000" as the incoming CID.
•  All non-blacklisted numbers arriving on this Voip.ms DID are set to forward to my ATT Mobile.
•  The Voip.ms Call Detail Record shows the source CID as "Anonymous" ... not "0000000000" ...
on the Voip.ms to mobile forwarding entry.
•  The 214-377-5991 number is shown as the CID on my cell phone!

I understand that various carriers deliver "anonymous" CID info in a variety of ways ... e.g., Anonymous Caller, 000-000-0000 ... but it is most interesting that the actual (or possibly spoofed) 214 DID is shown on my cell phone ... but nowhere in my Voip.ms Call Detail Record.

Whuzup?

Hey, I'm not complaining or blaming Voip.ms.  It is what it is!  And I've just added "00*" to my CallerID Filter list ... time will tell if this works.  (Incidentally, for those who have complained about incoming calls with excess digits, such as 923004427109, so long as you are not expecting non-US/Canada calls, you may add "Invalid or non US/Can CallerID" to the Filter listings.)

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

My guess is that's one of VoIP.ms' trunk numbers. When the provide an invalid CID to their carrier, their trunk number is used instead.

SHould be fairly easy to confirm: set your own caller id to 0000000000 and call your mobile. What shows up?
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca

w1ve
Premium
join:2007-12-28
Hancock, NH
reply to N9MD

I get these calls sometimes when I receive calls to my voip.ms DIDs from SIP endpoints (they are calling my the sip URI DID@sip.voip.ms)... I had one last week that was a phishing attempt.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to N9MD

Re: 214-377-5991

As Trev said, that's a Voip.MS trunk line.

It has been discussed before:
»VoIP.ms does not send CID as configured at PBXes.com

And the CNAM for that line is Vitelity, which is often the case for Voip.MS trunk lines in the US.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

1 edit

said by PX Eliezer7:

As Trev said, that's a Voip.MS trunk line.

I do understand the underlying logistics. It was simply my curiosity which engendered my OP. That is, the call arrives at my Voip.ms with "0000000000" CID. Call forwarding to my cell phone shows "Anonymous" on the Voip.ms Call Detail. And finally, the real number 214-377-5991 shows up as the CID on my cell phone. Thus, the actual CID was blocked on the first two legs but was revealed at the final destination. Don't y'all find that puzzling?

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River

Definitely, similar to the problem of polyps hidden on the back of colon folds!

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

said by PX Eliezer7:

Definitely, similar to the problem of polyps hidden on the back of colon folds!

Not with newer techniques wherein we place a glass of milk and a chocolate chip cookie in the rectum ... and wait for the polyps to come out for a free meal.  Zap!  We got'em.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River

1 recommendation

said by N9MD:

....cookie in the rectum....

Must be Chips Ahoy!

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom
reply to N9MD

A noble experiment that failed

Well ... I just received another call on my iPhone from 214-377-5991 ... which, of course I "Denied".

As expected, my CallerID blocking for "0000000000" and "2143775991" was ineffective ... because Voip.ms was receiving the call as "Anonymous" and forwarding it to my mobile with a system generated "0000000000".

So the only remaining puzzle is "If the call is deemed 'Anonymous' by Voip.ms, how come the real CID number appears on my mobile?

In order to put an end to this adventure, I'll be setting my iPhone ringer to "white noise" for the offending DID.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

said by N9MD:

So the only remaining puzzle is "If the call is deemed 'Anonymous' by Voip.ms, how come the real CID VoIP.ms' trunk number appears on my mobile?

Because VoIP.ms' carrier requires a valid Caller ID, so when an invalid number is provided, you see their trunk number.

It has absolutely no, none, zip, zilch, zero relation to the original caller. As I suggested, if you set your own Caller ID to a string of zeros, I'm confident you'll see this same trunk number appear on your mobile.
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium
Boca Raton, FL
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

1 edit

I understand ... and thank you for ... your explanation of the concept, Trev.  A check of the 214-377-5991 DID using »www.cidlookup.com/lookup/2143775991/ does show the CallerID "ownership" as Vitelity and the "current telephone carrier" is XO-Syniverse ... consistent with Voip.ms's source for DIDs and its CLEC  .

However, does that mean that all of the posters in the thread I referenced in my OP ... »www.800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-214-377-5991 ... are receiving the prank calls via Vitelity and/or XO? That appears to be the last part of the mystery that I do not understand.

I have added the offending number to my iPhone's Contact List ... as one of several numbers in by "BlackList" entry ... assigning a single "Ding" as the incoming "sound". Since by mobile is receiving 214-377-5991 as the CallerID, will incoming calls from that number successfully trigger the unobtrusive, barely audible "Ding".

jason_m

join:2010-01-09
Peabody, MA
reply to N9MD

CLEC altering caller id or using trunk number.

It's like the way when an open toll free provider would pass the default/truck number if the number they receive is deemed invalid. Most of them however would pass 0000000000 since most of them pass anything as long as there are 10 digits. For a service I pay for, I would expect the VoIP Provider or CLEC or any company in the call path to not mess with the caller id as passed to them. I'd expect them to just pass 0000000000 in this particular case.