Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

[Cooling] Are there any adverse effects to having my fans like t

Click for full size
As you can see its an antec kuhler 620, instead of having my fans plugged into the pump itself I have them plugged into the mobo. The pump fan header is a 3 pin but my fans are 4pin. As for the pump fan header its attached to the lower tube via a piece of electrical tape, so it wont just hang there. Are there any adverse effects to having it set up like this?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Re: [Cooling] Are there any adverse effects to having my fans li

The mobo will control fanspeed based on system temps. I'm not very familiar with WC setups, but don't you want the fans either running at 100% 24x7 (maximum cooling) or plugged into the WC setup controller to vary speeds based on coolant temperature?

If you're worried, I'd just plug all fans straight into the PSU and run them at 100%.

3-to-4 pin adapters are out there, don't let that stop you.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

said by Krisnatharok:

T I'm not very familiar with WC setups, but don't you want the fans either running at 100% 24x7 (maximum cooling) or plugged into the WC setup controller to vary speeds based on coolant temperature?

If you're worried, I'd just plug all fans straight into the PSU and run them at 100%.

Yeah thats why I posted, wanted to get other people opinions on it. So far it stays under 52C when gaming, but I've already got the connectors I need to plug them into the psu, so I think I may do that. thanks for the input dude.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

I think the biggest concern is letting the motherboard regulate your rad's cooling fans based on system temp, and not on coolant temp.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

Thats actually exactly what my concern was when I asked. So that settles it, as soon as I have time probably Wednesday or Friday, I will hook those fans up to the psu.

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to me1212

This is the one I have. It has a hook up for the cpu fan too, but if I just hook my two fans up to it and it to the psu it should still put them at 100% speed right?

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···00000687

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2

As wired, that adapter will give you 100% speed on the fans, all of the time. But you might experiment a little and see if you NEED that much. If not, you could move the pins around on the plug to only feed 7V to the fans.

But I have to disagree with everyone else. I see no problem running the radiator fans off of the motherboard, provided you set the temp low enough. When the CPU temp increases, the fans will speed up, cooling the water. You just have to keep in mind that it will take longer to cool the water than it would a heat sink, so set the temp low enough to account for that.
--
Intel i7-2600k /ASRock P67 Extreme4 /4x 4Gb G.Skill /2x Intel 510 series 250Gb SSD /3x WD20EADS 2TB /2x PNY GTX 260 /Silverstone 850W /Custom water cooler /Antec Twelve-Hundred

me1212

Pleasant Hill, MO

Yeah I could easily just set the temps, but truth be told I am a bit of a cooling freak. and if I can get lower temps even if the fans die sooner I probably will. I can always just buy new fans easier then a new cpu., so even if the risk is low I prefer cooler temps whenever possible.

And thanks for answering dude!

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA

said by me1212:

Yeah I could easily just set the temps, but truth be told I am a bit of a cooling freak. and if I can get lower temps even if the fans die sooner I probably will. I can always just buy new fans easier then a new cpu., so even if the risk is low I prefer cooler temps whenever possible.

And thanks for answering dude!

CPUs are meant to run fine all the way to 100c.

60c verse 50c isn't much difference to it. It wont shorten the life of it.