McLovin
Chicka chicka yeah
Premium
join:2005-06-12
Fairbanks, AK
Reviews:
·GCI.net

[AK] Anybody try ACS' new plans?

ACS released new DSL plans this past weekend, up to 10Mbps/1Mbps (which is a huge bump from their previous top tier), but still with unlimited download caps. I'm seriously considering jumping from GCI's ship (which I've happily been aboard for several years), but I was curious if anyone had gone to the 10Mbps service. In past history, they've had troubles getting their top tiers' speeds to work as advertised...

Just curious...
--
Tube surfin' at 22Mbps/2Mbps

jtel

join:2005-06-28
Bristol, RI
Reviews:
·GCI.net

I'm moving to Sitka soon and I've been looking at the different options for phone, internet and wireless.

The problem with DSL is it's contingent on the distance to the CO unless they are using remotes to extend the distance or bonding the speed will be limited. If you are close to the CO or the remote you could do much better than 10.

For the same price GCI has 18mb down 1.5up. The 150gb cap is a bit weak though and ACS has no cap apparently.

McLovin
Chicka chicka yeah
Premium
Fairbanks, AK
Reviews:
·GCI.net

Sitka, eh? Beautiful town, been there a few times for work.

I've been really close to pushing for an ACS business account @ 15Mbps/1Mbps for $159/month. Right now among the whole GCI bundle, we're almost at $250/month and mostly all we use TV for is sports, of which we could better spend that money supporting a local bar or something.

The issue I've been battling though is if ACS is actually able to support the speeds their customers paying for. A few of my friends have had ACS when their top end plan was 3Mbps, and they were struggling to see anything above 2.5.

While my speeds do take a dip every now and then with GCI at peak time, rarely does it dip below 10Mbps (once I had some issue fixed).

As the saying goes, "my worst day surfing on GCI is better than my best day surfing on ACS"...
--

jtel

Bristol, RI
Reviews:
·GCI.net
reply to McLovin

I signed up for GCI internet and cable tv for now anyway. The 22mbps plan is expensive but as close as I can get to Cox here.

$160 here for 22mbps versus $50 for 30mbps.

I started service on July 7 and they billed me $14.99 for something on July 6th. That was on the cable bill.

As soon as I get my own place I'm getting Directv so I can watch the Pats play on Sundays.

McLovin
Chicka chicka yeah
Premium
Fairbanks, AK
Reviews:
·GCI.net

Crazy, they must jack the price up in Sitka a bit. Makes sense I suppose, costs a lot more to provide it there. My cable bill is totally jacked anyway. Close to $250/mo with all of the DVRs with the roommates.

As far as the DirecTV thing goes, you can get yourself a PS3 and do the NFL Sunday Ticket online. We did it last year, worked out great. Overall, you wind up paying $10 more for the subscription but the service is the same. Quality is great (1080i, 8Mbps stream. DD 5.1). They had a couple of hiccups, but nothing that I complained about. Definitely going to run it again. May drop cable altogether.
--

jtel

Bristol, RI

Can you give me some more detail on that PS3 Sunday Ticket deal?

McLovin
Chicka chicka yeah
Premium
Fairbanks, AK
Reviews:
·GCI.net

Yeah,
It's an app that you can nab from the playstation store. Rather than the directv method where you just pay $325 up front, PSN bills you $85/month automatically over 4 months, which amounts to $340.

The games stream in really good quality, up to about 8Mbps in 1080i. However, unlike the Sunday Ticket through DirecTV, you can't
View more than one game at once, and you can't track fantasy players.

I expect the app will get an update for multi-game viewing, but it's pretty easy to switch between them. It also comes with the red zone channel. Not NFL RedZone, DTV has their own thing but it fills the same purpose.

Had a few minor issues with it this past season, like the wrong game being blacked out, or some streaming hiccups with certain games, but all in all a good experience. Definitely going to do it again this season. Does that pretty much answer it for ya?
--

jtel

Bristol, RI

Thanks. That sounds pretty good.

McLovin
Chicka chicka yeah
Premium
Fairbanks, AK

Yeah, I like it!

kshymkiw

join:2004-12-21
Columbus, OH
reply to McLovin

I work for ACS. We are seeing a pretty good take rate on it. It depends a lot on Loop Lengths for speed. We recently added some capacity on FAI to support this bump

McLovin
Chicka chicka yeah
Premium
Fairbanks, AK
Reviews:
·GCI.net

Awesome. I stopped by ACS store the other day. The max they can offer my location is the 4Mbps plan. No 7. No 10. No 15. GCI is where I stay. I can't afford to step back 6 years, especially when the power bill increases more than I was paying GCI for overages... If I could actually get the 15Mbps tier, I would consider it. Now I'm just considering abandoning Alaska altogether and getting real internet speeds closer to what they should be. 50Mbps+
--

jtel

Bristol, RI
Reviews:
·GCI.net
reply to kshymkiw

There is no reason they can't either double up pairs or use remotes with fiber to vastly increase speeds.

IMO it's clear they just aren't prepared to compete.

They basically sold out of the wireless game with that GCI pairing on the wholesale level.

Online it says I can only get 4mbps also and I'm only 1.8 miles from the CO.

jtel

Bristol, RI
Reviews:
·GCI.net

I dropped down to GCI's 15mb download speed and switched to Directv.

Without another product plus cable into the house from GCI the 22mb product I was getting would have been $200 a month. I just couldn't justify that and wanted the NFL package on Directv. When I was dropping the GCI cable the woman told me my next months cable bill was going to be $214.00. Wow, all I had was HBO & Starz plus extended basic.

The 22mb product always gave me right around 22mb speeds. Now with the 15 I get about 10 down and that's for $90 a month!

GCI is the master of false advertising that's for sure. If only ACS would run fiber and offer cable tv and high speed internet. The town should get into cable and internet here or Alaska should start an initiative and partner with ACS.