uniqs
shades
join:2001-06-26
Williamstown, NJ

1 recommendation

shades to DJboutit

to DJboutit

Re: Comcast to start Monitoring ISPs July 1

comcast is not going to monitor the network for file sharers, it is going to be the same as it always has been, the media companies find someone sharing and they report it to the ISP, the only difference now is you get warning letters from the ISP more often and may get throttled for a bit

dslcreature
Premium Member
join:2010-07-10
Seattle, WA

dslcreature

Premium Member

said by shades:

comcast is not going to monitor the network for file sharers, it is going to be the same as it always has been, the media companies find someone sharing and they report it to the ISP, the only difference now is you get warning letters from the ISP more often and may get throttled for a bit

Until they get sued
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

1 recommendation

nysports4evr to shades

Premium Member

to shades
said by shades:

People don't seem to understand this. They are not monitoring your access any more than they have been... there is just a new system being put in place to deal with the "warnings" they receive from third parties, they DO NOT monitor their own network.

scooby
Premium Member
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL

scooby to dslcreature

Premium Member

to dslcreature
Encryption for the win?

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

thank goodness for private torrents

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

2 recommendations

Wayne99021

Premium Member

Only speaking for myself, but to me the best way around all this is just don't download or steal any material that has a copyright.
Never have to worry about getting a call or nasty e-mail.

anonymust
@comcast.net

anonymust

Anon

copyright must be abolished. copyright is an information monopoly that harms society. information cannot be owned or stolen.

copyright is the author's exclusive right to copy or distribute an original expression of ideas. any text, sound, image or video that exists on the internet or elsewhere is automatically copyrighted.

everytime you access the internet you are infringing copyright if you do not have the author's permission to copy or distribute.

the punishment for copyright infringement is extremely severe. if the copyrighted work is registered in the u.s. government copyright database the author can sue for $150,000 and legal costs for each act of copyright infringement. no proof of financial loss or harm is necessary.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

said by anonymust :

copyright must be abolished. copyright is an information monopoly that harms society. information cannot be owned or stolen.

A bit extreme, especially considering we're talking about movies and tv shows, no?
said by anonymust :

everytime you access the internet you are infringing copyright if you do not have the author's permission to copy or distribute.

Not if the site has permission to distribute. A book, which is copyrighted, can be read by you or any number of individuals.

anonymust
@comcast.net

anonymust

Anon

the regulation of any information exchange is totally unacceptable.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Wayne99021

Premium Member

to Wayne99021
said by Wayne99021:

Only speaking for myself, but to me the best way around all this is just don't download or steal any material that has a copyright.

Yep... "don't steal stuff" - seems simple enough.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Wayne99021:

stealing implies that the original owner has lost something, but in the case of filesharing, you are not making it so that the owner cannot hold it anymore. Its getting harder and harder to simply say that copyright infringement is stealing, and that they lost vast sums of monies, when in actuality, the copy may not have been a sale, and at most, they lost a few bucks, not thousands. Copyright laws need a refresh, in the right way, to allow digital goods to flourish in an age where everything can be found for free. hell, if the companies gave us a legal alternative that didnt suck, i would probably use it. Look at what Steam did to game piracy and prices. So far, the MPAA and RIAA, and copyright trolls are more concerned about making money from litigation versus the actual act of the infringement, and what possible damage it has to their business. Again, look up the definition of stealing, and you will see that there is no "copy" in theft. File sharing is NOT theft, and never was.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Chubbysumo:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Wayne99021:

stealing implies that the original owner has lost something, but in the case of filesharing, you are not making it so that the owner cannot hold it anymore.

You know how silly that argument sounds, right?