uniqs

gattaca
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
USA

gattaca

Premium Member

Recommendation request: kiosk display with looping video

One of the teachers in our school district is considering purchasing an LCD panel for the purpose of displaying looping videos of upcoming events or student projects in a high-traffic area in the building.

What is the best product to allow us to present this kind of information with low maintenance and easy configuration? I was thinking along the lines of a Roku-like device where we could drop videos onto a flash drive and have the device loop the videos non-stop, but I'm not aware of any models that will work with no interaction/loop nonstop.

So, any recommendations for an inexpensive device that will allow us to turn a LCD into a kiosk/like (with no interaction) informational display?

Thanks!

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

This is what we recommend to our clients, but they may be out of your price range.

»www.scala.com/

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to gattaca

Premium Member

to gattaca
If anything most is not all have card inputs, for displaying photos and some even playing movies from cameras. Figure out which LCD display you are going to get and what media it supports. Then you can prob do something as simple as a slide show (looping).

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick to gattaca

Premium Member

to gattaca
BlackBox makes some nice stuff

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium Member
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD

KoolMoe to gattaca

Premium Member

to gattaca
Kinda depends...
If you just want an LCD screen, then just hook up a computer. Any desktop/laptop from the past couple years can play back video smoothly - have decent CPU, GPU, and RAM...and USB of course.

To loop the video, pretty sure you could just setup a playlist in Windows Media Player set to 'repeat'.

If you want it more complicated, like a video, then an informational screen that could be changed 'from the back', then another video, etc...then maybe you want to look at a custom application (which I could help you with).

Alternatively, you may want a finished/refined kiosk, which sure looks nice (like the scala link mentioned) but are pricey.

Here are two I've worked with before. Not cheap, but worth a look and pricing. The first is a smaller shop/better deals/good service:

»www.pearlson.com

»www.kis-kiosk.com

Those will still have a computer under-the-hood, you're really just buying a pretty console and support. Still need a way to present the information...but maybe a straight series of videos and still images via a playlist will work for you.
KM

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium Member
join:2001-01-29
Psalm 96 ESV

Juke Box to gattaca

Premium Member

to gattaca
You can use something simple as a decent pc that supports dual monitors and use PowerPoint.

mepadre
join:2003-08-15
Waterloo, ON

1 recommendation

mepadre to gattaca

to gattaca
What about a digital picture frame that supports video? Or, if no video is needed, just a bunch of pictures with the details you want scaled to the resolution of the frame.

Cheap. Easy to updated. Nice transitions. Goes in to power save mode. Etc.
sneakaround
join:2001-06-19
Staten Island, NY

sneakaround to gattaca

to gattaca
I haven't used it personally but it seems cheap and easy
»www.popcornhour.com/onli ··· temId=11

AlphaOne
I see
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21

AlphaOne to gattaca

Premium Member

to gattaca
Just buy the smallest/thinnest DVD player, and put it behind the LCD TV.