North, VA

3 edits

Jack_in_VA to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine

Re: Here's the law

said by fifty nine:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Our POCO has a very effective phone outage notification system. They don't need to spend the millions required to replace the meters they just replaced a few years ago to allow remote reading.

As with anything there can be many justifications thrown in to mask the true intent which IMO is not notification of an outage.

When I'm not home I can't call if power is out. Meanwhile my fridge is getting warmer.

I like that they know when power is out.

How many times does that happen? I've been here since 1989 and had many power failures and only lost food one time and that was after Isabel when the power was out 17 days and no meter smart or not would have made any difference one way or the other . Besides I have insurance to cover a "REAL" loss. You're grasping at straws. Your opinion is your opinion only and is subject to review by others.

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by fifty nine:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Our POCO has a very effective phone outage notification system. They don't need to spend the millions required to replace the meters they just replaced a few years ago to allow remote reading.

As with anything there can be many justifications thrown in to mask the true intent which IMO is not notification of an outage.

When I'm not home I can't call if power is out. Meanwhile my fridge is getting warmer.

I like that they know when power is out.

How many times does that happen? I've been here since 1989 and had many power failures and only lost food one time and that was after Isabel when the power was out 17 days and no meter smart or not would have made any difference one way or the other . Besides I have insurance to cover a "REAL" loss. You're grasping at straws. Your opinion is your opinion only and is subject to review by others.

Others like myself have several power outages per year due the weather or due to people running their trucks into power poles.

We do have a smart meter, but all our power is underground for several miles, so the power company only gets the power readings when they drive up our roads with their antenna pointing at houses or cabins in the forests.

When the power is out for more than a few hours, our CenturyLink phones no longer work. We have no phone service, we have no cell service, we have no power.

So if these meters help us in the surrounding areas to get power back quicker, then its ok by us.

A claim on insurance makes the premium go up, or at least stops it going down.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by toby:

Others like myself have several power outages per year due the weather or due to people running their trucks into power poles.

We do have a smart meter, but all our power is underground for several miles, so the power company only gets the power readings when they drive up our roads with their antenna pointing at houses or cabins in the forests.

When the power is out for more than a few hours, our CenturyLink phones no longer work. We have no phone service, we have no cell service, we have no power.

So if these meters help us in the surrounding areas to get power back quicker, then its ok by us.

A claim on insurance makes the premium go up, or at least stops it going down.

quote:
Here our Verizon POTS continues to work and our Verizon Cell phones continue to work as the tower has a "Big" generator. We have never been without phone service even after Isabel when the power was out 17 days.

I don't recall ever having a problem reporting an outage so the smart meter argument is just a smoke screen for the real reason to deploy them.

After having a claim then for lost food the adjuster said that events like that (Power failures) due to weather have no effect on individual rates going up.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

Here our Verizon POTS continues to work and our Verizon Cell phones continue to work as the tower has a "Big" generator.

Its not the size of the generator, its the size of the fuel tank.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by AVD:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Here our Verizon POTS continues to work and our Verizon Cell phones continue to work as the tower has a "Big" generator.

Its not the size of the generator, its the size of the fuel tank.

Very true but they managed to keep it going for 17 days. However the generators they put on their POTS electronic switches kept being stolen almost as fast as they put them on.
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

1 edit

49528867 (banned)

said by Jack_in_VA:

Very true but they managed to keep it going for 17 days. However the generators they put on their POTS electronic switches kept being stolen almost as fast as they put them on.

That’s bullshit, switches in a central office or MTSO have their own on-site generators.

As to the field where remote terminals or sites are powered by generators that are tied down and booted.

Wayne

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Are you saying i'm lying? Ok mods this is a flame. I don't know what your problem is Wayne but you have one.

You weren't here and I was very much without POTS many times due to batteries running down because generator at the switch 2-1/2 miles from me was stolen. They cut the chains to get them.